If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• edited 2013-02-19 14:03:25
    a little muffled

> destruction bad in skyrim

What.

You realize Impact exists, right?

• Randy Pitchford making sockpuppets to try to make it seem like his latest shitty game is getting a good reception from the Twitter crowd? *gasp* Who'd ever imagine that?

But seriously, I wonder how much further this idiot is going to continue digging his happy little hole in the ground before he realizes that no, he's not going to pop out on the other side of the world and outwit his critics so easily.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

You realize Impact exists, right?

Staggering isn't all that great relative to having to dual-cast. You can get much the same effect by walking backwards a lot of the time.

And even then, Impact is not as good as...well, half the stuff you could get up to with Destruction and spellmaking in previous games.

• a little muffled

@ClockworkUniverse: Impact means nothing hits you ever, so long as you don't run out of Magicka. Which you don't, because you just spam cheap Apprentice spells forever.

• "I will grant you two wishes; one for each testicle."

^^ No offense, but is there a reason why the text in your tumblr is balls tiny?

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Not that much smaller than your average paperback. You can always magnify.

• Fortunately, the last time Malk linked his Tumblr, I took it upon myself to create the following stylesheet, titled "Make Malk's tumblr not look like unreadable garbage."

@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);

@-moz-document domain("cosmichumor.tumblr.com") {
    .entries{
    font-family: sans-serif!important;
    font-size:10pt!important;
    line-height:1.3em!important;
    }
    }

It has served me well. Anyway, while it's perfectly possible that you're right and that these particular game mechanics don't work for this particular game, I'm not sure why being a first-person dungeon crawler or having DQ-style combat is inherently a bad thing as opposed to just being not a particularly modern thing.  Yes I know you sort of give reasons in that post but really it comes across more like you just don't like them?

• edited 2013-02-19 19:54:10
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

The problem is mostly that I'm not looking at the environment but looking at the map the entire time which makes it incredibly visually boring as I stated. At which point why even bother having anything but the map?

Not that the environments are particularly interesting.

Other games might make it work (which I doubt) but this one sure as hell doesn't. Considering the fact that the other games have long abandoned the format, most of Atlus seems to share this sentiment.

• But you never had any to begin with.

The only SMT games that have actively abandoned the first person battle system are the 3D ones, though. And it doesn't even count as abandonment for Persona, since it never used it in the first place.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

^False. The first one used it in the dungeons

And considering that the 3-D ones outnumber the others and that most games these are in -you know- 3-D, it seems like something that just have been left behind.

As I said, the battle system. And there are far more 2D SMT games than there are 3D.

• edited 2013-02-19 20:30:04
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

My only problem with the first person battle perspective is it's visually dull. My main gripe is with that shitty dungeon interface. 

My problem with Strange Journey's battle system is completely different. DeSu and Strange Journey are the only SMT ones I've seen stateside with that format anyhow. Maybe DemiKids has it too, but this is a moot point since I never said anything particularly bad about the battle system being in first person. Just the dungeon crawling.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I think Bethesda funneled most of their talent into making the gameplay better and left the writing to interns or something.

I think it's more 'Bethesda funneled most of their talent into realizing the world, leaving the actual game aspects of it- the writing and the gameplay- to the interns.'

Because seriously, the gameplay is shit. I have logged 60+ hours into the game this week at this point, and I am telling you, it is shit.

The Stealth system has potential, but it's broken as shit because Bethesda doesn't know how to balance. Destruction has potential, but it's only useful if you take Impact, and you can achieve the same effect (and more damage!) by spamming Power Attacks with a decent enchanted amulet of Regen Stamina. Illusion is useless without Stealth to back it up, but Stealth is broken itself. Conjuration and Alteration are about the only useful types of magic that don't rely on other skills.

Combat still revolves around "Look at the enemy and spam-click attack." They've fixed the level scaling, if by 'fixed' you mean 'removed it as of level 30+ because player strength varies far too wildly to bother scaling enemies for'. Boss encounters generally boil down to 'move backwards and spam attack as the boss advances forwards, open the menu and drink a couple health potions, repeat until they're dead'.

Random encounters are generic as shit for the most part. Dungeons are pretty much just copy-pasted, with only a very few areas not being copy-pasted from another area. There's like a dozen types of enemies max, and I hope you like them because you're going to see them a lot. Even friggin' Dragons have been reduced to boring point-and-attack affairs somehow.

It speaks well of Bethesda that Skyrim is enjoyable anyway, but pretending that the gameplay is anything other than 'utter shit' is ludicrous.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^I didn't say it was good, because I agree with you there, it's not good.

Skyrim's gameplay is miles better than Morrowind's but the writing is much worse is what I was trying to say.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Well, at least Skyrim didn't tie the ability to move at a decent pace to your Stamina bar.

Bethesda could seriously do to learn some new gameplay design, however. And gameplay balance.

I really wish that Metacritic thing with Fallout: New Vegas never happened, because maybe Betheda would have let Obsidian put their fingers into Skyrim. Lord knows they could do some awesome shit with all the crazy things in TES lore.

I think Bethesda's probably the best people to stick to using Skyrim's lore.

Bethesda's not even that bad at tying their lore to the game- take a look at Nchuand-Zel, which is a relatively intact Dwemer ruin except for how it's falling apart, and based purely upon everything you find in there, it would be totally possible to guess that the Dwemer just upped and disappeared many years ago. Or the Falmer's presence in Dwemer ruins, mixed together with the Snow Elves you find and talk to.

I think all Bethesda really needs is someone to inform them on how to tie all their gameplay aspects together, and someone to advise them on game balance.

(That is, I just want to see Assassin's Creed-style melee combat in Skyrim, and Dishonored-style stealth. :< )

Well, at least Skyrim didn't tie the ability to move at a decent pace to your Stamina bar.

But it kinda did. Getting anywhere without sprinting takes forever.

I think all Bethesda really needs is someone to inform them on how to tie all their gameplay aspects together, and someone to advise them on game balance.

Again, Obsidian would be perfect for this. New Vegas was probably the closest anyone ever got to a balanced Gamebryo game.

But it kinda did. Getting anywhere without sprinting takes forever.

Requiring stamina for sprinting is a very different thing to requiring stamina for running.

Again, Obsidian would be perfect for this. New Vegas was probably the closest anyone ever got to a balanced Gamebryo game.

That has absolutely nothing to do with game lore though. Also, New Vegas was still a pretty horribly balanced game. :|

Nobody walked in Morrowind anyway. They jumped. :|

^^I was just talking about gameplay specifically there. And yeah New Vegas was pretty breakable, but it was less broken than Fallout 3 or any TES game.

Relative terms, Nova, relative terms.

I am going to repeat my old adage of "Just because you broke both your legs, that doesn't mean my broken arm doesn't hurt".

Just because Skyrim is more broken doesn't mean you should get the developers of a broken game at it. TES 6 would be less broken, but it'd still be broken.

• Bethesda probably wants their games to be breakable, so making that impossible isn't likely to be a priority.  I do think it should be at least harder though, because as it is, it's kind of difficult to not end up being massively overpowered by the end of an Elder Scrolls game.

But yeah, there are other not-really-related balance issues that definitely could benefit from being worked on.

• New Vegas was probably the closest anyone ever got to a balanced Gamebryo game.

Craig Boone would like a word.

• edited 2013-02-20 00:18:42
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

all Bethesda really needs is someone to inform them on how to tie all their gameplay aspects together, and someone to advise them on game balance.

Won't contest the balance part, but Fallout 3 was extremely good gameplay-wise aside from balance.

So...I guess since Bethesda clearly knows how to make good gameplay, they need to remember to bother with that.

Won't contest the balance part, but Fallout 3 was extremely good gameplay-wise aside from balance.

I was under the impression Fallout 3 was a different game to Fallout: New Vegas. :P

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

You lost me. New Vegas doesn't have anything to do with Bethesda's ability to make good gameplay, since, you know, not made by Bethesda.