If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

All the NSFW stuff coming off of TVT currently

Comments

• Has friends besides tanks now

^^, ^

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^^^,^^,^

• a little muffled

^_^

• edited 2012-04-22 21:00:08

"...and I guess this is when the thread started being a discussion about pedophilia, rather than being about doing anything constructive about the pages that TVT is cutting."

"TVT"

"constructive"

We're not going to get ourselves deeply involved in the affairs of another site. We're supposed to be way past that now. Why does TV Tropes shit constantly come back to haunt us?

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

But man, we gotta talk about stuff on the Internet. It's like, important, man. 

(Yeah yeah I know, big but at this point all it really brings us is bad news)

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Oh, I want to respond to something I forgot to respond to earlier.

There is an admitted pedophile who has explicitly said no to seeking therapy/help/anything and we have accepted him. We are worse than TVTropes.

He was brought on board before this information was known.

^^ The issue I have with all this is that everyone gets all worked up in the discussion and nothing useful comes of it.

• edited 2012-04-22 22:14:43
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Nothing useful would come of it anyway. Most of us don't even use the TV Tropes wiki anymore. We don't have any pull there. I'm pretty sure half the mods there still don't like us. TVT threads inevitably cause drama floods. There's absolutely no reason for this forum to care this much about it, and frankly, I'm sick of this being such a recurring problem. It's like clockwork. Horrible, horrible clockwork.

Fine.

Yeah, maybe it was my mistake to make a new thread about this.

Well, KiTA was trying to get somewhere with this but 'eir post got totally buried in the avalanche of people discussing pedophilia then dealing with a certain user then discussing IJBM site policy.

I was just hoping that the content that's on TVT could be salvaged and reused elsewhere.  Though now that you say this, I'm starting to wonder whether it's better to build a TVT-like site from the ground up if you want a more serious, neutral-toned, less-fandom-serving atmosphere.

• edited 2012-04-22 22:21:55
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^Possibly, but every attempt to do so have been out of spite and crashed and burned because of it.

• edited 2012-04-22 22:28:28
    Has friends besides tanks now

I want to just add a rule saying "if you're only here to talk about TVTropes, leave". As it is, I'm seriously going to suggest to the mods that we decline any applications that mention solely TVTropes, or TVTropes foremost.

And as for discussions of it in general, I'd like to ban that too, at this point, but that goes against the idea that we should technically be allowed to talk about whatever. But really, TVTropes discussion is just too linked to drama--not even just prone, but linked.

• edited 2012-04-22 22:29:14
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Well, I think that one problem with doing it out of spite is that spite motivates people to try to make something different/distinct from TVT, and in some cases that means throwing the worthwhile "baby" properties of TVT out with the "bathwater" problems that has led to current TVT issues.

^ Edit: You're right, I should be giving this topic a rest for now.

• edited 2012-04-22 22:31:59
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    At this point, I really wouldn't be against banning TV Tropes threads. Way, way, way more trouble than they're worth. And
    I want to just add a rule saying "if you're only here to talk about TVTropes, leave". As it is, I'm seriously going to suggest to the mods that we decline any applications that mention solely TVTropes, or TVTropes foremost
    sounds pretty good right about now too.

^I'm actually all for that.

• Yes, definitely. One-note posters are always annoying.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I wouldn't mind that, personally.

• edited 2012-04-22 22:38:57

I was actually wondering if we should, instead of a topic ban on TVT-related stuff, make a temporary ban on that topic--I'd call it a moratorium.  Simply banning it would lead to a lot of passive-aggressive posting.

As for declining people who are solely here to talk about TVT, I like that idea, though I'd have to think through how prospective users would actually change in response to this.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

What would be the purpose of reallowing it afterwards, though?

• Has friends besides tanks now
    I don't see the problems with discussing TVTropes, period, ever going away. Might as well go with a permaban on it, if we're already going that far.
  • edited 2012-04-22 22:42:18
    What Everest said. Every single time something happens on TVT, it runs over and shits up our forum for a few days. I have a hard time believing that'll stop because you ask nicely and put the subject in time out for a few weeks.
  • edited 2012-04-22 22:43:42

Because I do want this place to be sort of a "free speech zone" on issues that are taboo elsewhere.  But to avoid drama, I want people to discuss things intelligently and calmly, rather than throwing emotions around.

I actually think that, had I been around on Saturday, I'd have banned Draven for starting drama (as has been done anyway) and then locked this thread, and declared an instant moratorium on TVT stuff for a week, to let emotions cool off.  So that would be the aim of a moratorium.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I don't think it should entail a permaban. There should be some kind of in-between. 

• edited 2012-04-22 22:45:34
    It's not about this cooling off, it's about how the same thing happens every goddamn time TVTropes does something.

Let TVTropes make its own bed. It's a big boy now.
  • edited 2012-04-22 22:46:02
    I think it's been made very clear time and time again that we as a forum (myself included) are utterly unable to deal with the topic without turning stone cold retarded and losing our shit. It's better to just let it go. We should have done that a long time ago.

I'm with Everest and Forzare on this. Every single time TV Tropes does anything at all, the forum sucks for several days. It's time we officially sever ties with them.

Well, in the meantime...

re declining applicants who are here just to talk TVT: how do we deal with people who evade that?  Well I guess they'll get dealt with by whatever we use to deal with TVT-related content anyway.

• Back in Black

Considering that this site is a creation based on something that once existed on TvTropes and the two userbases overlap almost 100%, and that this site allows much more freedom to talk about things in a more negative or critical light, I think such a ban would only end poorly. 

However, I don't really have an opinion either way on the matter, past that observation of the likelihood of trouble either way, whether you attempt to get rid of it or allow it. 

• edited 2012-04-22 22:48:29

> It's time we officially sever ties with them.

No offense, but just an odd thought: doesn't mentioning them explicitly in our rules make us more tied to them?

^ Maybe we could require a higher standard of civility for TVT-related topics, and lock them more readily if they don't meet that standard?

• edited 2012-04-22 22:49:42

Well, if they're evading, that means they're not talking about it, right? If they start talking immediately, that will stick out like a sore thumb.

"^ Maybe we could require a higher standard of civility for TVT-related topics, and lock them more readily if they don't meet that standard?"

That misses the point which is that we're just sick of being dragged along by the actions of another site. 

• edited 2012-04-22 22:48:50
    If they evade it and start trying to raise hell over TVT, we politely point them to the rules that they should have read and give them a warning.

Then fucking ban them if they don't stop, because that is what we do when people break the rules, and this rule will be no exception.
  • edited 2012-04-22 22:50:33
    If anything, we're a place for moving on from TVTropes. It can be made clear, in the rules, that, in spite of our origin, we do not want anything to do with TVTropes.

This will almost certainly sound corny, but I think it's about time we let it go, Glenn.