If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I really want to leave Something Awful right now

1234568»

Comments

• edited 2012-04-22 02:26:33

I think it stems from something personal, since that tends to be the source of the most excessive vitriol. Most likely it's arts students having high hopes for the site as a thoughtful, yet casual resource for analyzing fiction, only to realize most of the userbase is only interested in pointless trivia and the usual stuff that's been gone over a thousand times. I guess I can sort of understand since the userbase is really difficult to deal with, but why people refuse to move on is something that eludes me.

While I don't doubt this is true, we should keep in mind that for many in the thread it is far more personal than that, since they were former members of the TV Tropes community who felt wronged in some way, and now have a way to publicly attack those they previously couldn't. The level of vitriol generally rose as more ex-tropers joined in the "fun".

I think there is also an element of "keeping up with the Jones's" in relation to the Reddit thread. The Reddit-bomb was super high profile, and the goons directly involved felt like they were part of something really special, and were treated like rock stars by the goons cheering them on.

It didn't take long for veteran TV Tropes thread goons to start interjecting their opinions on why TV Tropes was just as bad, or calling for Tony Danza to do a TV Tropes-bomb next. Since then, the subject of whether TV Tropes has become "worse" than reddit has come up repeatedly in the TV Tropes thread.

The implosion of the feminism thread is unfortunate. It really did teach me a lot about what it's like to live in others' shoes and watching my actions (especially when a large portion of averting misogyny should be common courtesy to anyone) and many of the users were quite sincere. I saw that transphobia is what sunk it which just goes to show how social justice advocates can still be guilty of prejudice against those that are different."

I'm still not clear on what exactly happened to the Feminism thread. It seemed like they were in the middle of a (fairly respectful) argument on trans issues that intersect with feminism, when the thread was locked without any comment from the mods that I could see. Was there ever anything official stated about the thread's fate?

• But you never had any to begin with.

The feminism thread got remade, it's just in E/N, now.

• Meeble - Internal SA politics. As I mentioned earlier, there's an ongoing rivalry between the FYAD forum and all the social justice people in places like D&D. It's basically the "Lol the internet is stupid anyway, who cares, let's just make jokes" attitude v. "careposting." Lowtax usually comes down on the former side, if it comes to it.

The Feminism thread was pissing off the FYAD-ites because they loves them some "ironic" racist and sexist jokes (and vice versa with the Feminist posters) and, to be fair, it was being derailed regularly by guys turning up, expressing views that the other posters disagreed with and being dogpiled, inevitably followed by a probation or ban. That's what happened to me there. Basically, the mods decided it was causing too much trouble all round in its current form.

• "because they loves them some "ironic" racist and sexist jokes"

I hate these kinds of people. 

• ^^^, ^^ - Ah, that's what I was missing. Thanks!

• edited 2012-04-22 10:44:54
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

So they watch us here again, them Goons. smug (to borrow an emot of theirs, looks like it'd roughly fit in here.)  They're kind of cute, really. 

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Yeah, can we not try to directly provoke goons? That will not end well.

• edited 2012-04-22 10:56:29
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Heh, at least they too don't like the "Harry Potter and Let's Write New Atlas Shrugged" fanfic, I'll cut them some slack for that. They won't be on my primary list of people to kill when I take over the world.

• And some of us actually are/have been/will be goons. I basically started this thread to let off steam about some negative experiences I'd had there that basically had nothing to do with the TV Tropes thread, not to start a war with it. If that's the way it's going, I'd rather this were locked.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    -reads-

Sounds like a good idea.
This discussion has been closed.