If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I really want to leave Something Awful right now

Comments

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Ahahahaha. That guy. Man, he was a barrel of laughs, a terrible one, but a barrel of laughs.

• Likes cheesecake unironically.

From what I saw, BTL is mostly dead. There is like one thread that is active.

About the arguments thing, I hate myself for it, but I kind of agree with CountryPumpkin. At least for me, the point of an argument is convincing the other site of my viewpoint. That's also why I don't really do arguments and tend to avoid them: I know that I can't.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

From what I saw, BTL is mostly dead. There is like one thread that is active.

It's getting quite a bit more activity lately, but this was definitely true a while ago.

• JHMJHM
    edited 2012-04-19 15:34:18
    Here, There, Everywhere

^^ The old BtL or the new one? The latter is very much alive, but generally rather quiet.

Milos: Serbian Ninja.

• MrWMrW
    edited 2012-04-19 15:41:36

Jim Profit

Oh, that attention seeker who tried to get an entry on KYM. 

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/jim-profit

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

^ Most slanted attempt at a KYM entry I have ever seen in my life.

• Wasn't he banned from here already? I remember him targeting some videos at TVTropes and its spin-offs with the incessant griping about how all world problems can be reduced to the fact that moderators are fascists.

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

The delicious irony lies in how disturbingly fascistic some of his rants are.

• Champion of the Whales

Jim Profit is a Christian Communist, the mind actually boggles at the concept

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

Not necessarily. In a way, so was Tolstoy. The mind only boggles when it comes to Jim Profit's special brand of batshit.

• Tolstoy tends to get claimed by anarchists, although I'm not sure he ever called himself one. However, you can be a communist without being a Marxist.

Jim Profit's true belief system is Attention-Whore-ism.

Milos: Serbian Ninja.

serbian ninja

serbian ninja 2

• Likes cheesecake unironically.

The upper picture of the Serbian Ninja 2... picture makes it seem more like "Serbian Mortal Kombat".

Fun fact: Both were produced by a theological seminary. Go figure.

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

^^^^ True facts.

^^^ So confused now.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

So you had something crazy enough!

Also,

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

No Spider, no Bat, Mohair Ninja will save your butt.

• edited 2012-04-19 20:05:59
    I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

Jim Profit is a Christian Communist, the mind actually boggles at the concept

Actually, Jesus was probably as communistic a religious figure as you could ask for. No rich men in heaven, give your possessions to the needy, the meek will inherit the earth, etc. 

• You can change. You can.

Well, yeah, but Christ wasn't a Christian. ;)

• No, what's weird is that Jim Profit's a Communist who supported Santorum.

• Back in Black

So, I got a membership to SA from someone else, and I must say that I became disillusioned with the TvTropes thread very rapidly, as all the things people criticized about it came into full view and it was just like "ugh, these people are annoying, fuck that."  

That said, D&D is pretty fun, though that recent implosion of the feminism thread was quite unfortunate, and captainbrass is right when he says that the social justice circlejerk there is incredible (and like him, I say that as a very liberal-leaning politically active person).  I've found that it's fun to lurk D&D, however, with the threads mocking Free Republic and Conservapedia being markedly better than the anti-TvTropes thread because those sites really are irredeemably evil and stupid.  That, and they're much better at commentating on the US presidential election cycle than they are on a silly website about media trends. 

I don't think I'll be leaving SA soon, but I think I'm going to stay with my current trend of primarily lurking.  Most of the time I don't have much to say anyhow, as I'm neither particularly witty (or at least, not in any form that they'd appreciate) nor am I so knowledgeable that I can contribute something the people there don't already know. 

• Their media forums certainly seem interesting. Too bad it costs ten bux to join.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Pretty much what Flyboy said in regards to me. The amount of rage in the TvTropes thread is miles higher than in any other mock thread in the site for some reason.

Generally, I just stick to the Warhammer threads (inb4predictabo), some Games threads, and ADTRW has been my anime forum of choice for a while (ironic no?).

• I feel weird for buying my SA account, but I agree with the TVT thread.

I stick to the Cavern of COBOL and a few game threads as the main places I post. I lurk D&D and a few other threads. I should spend some time in ADTRW to see if I can get back into anime.

• edited 2012-04-21 21:44:31
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

>Pretty much what Flyboy said in regards to me. The amount of rage in the TvTropes thread is miles higher than in any other mock thread in the site for some reason.

My theory is that the nature of TV Tropes attracts obsessives in either fans or detractors.

I'm really not buying because I have no job and it's ten bucks that can go to comics or food.

• You can change. You can.

honestly, I wouldn't pay a membership for an internet forum. It just seems kinda...weird, really. If I were getting something more tangible, then I would, but internet forums' enjoyability for me tends to be ephemeral and phases in and out too much for me to even consider that expense, even if it's something that doesn't really hurt my finances.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

honestly, I wouldn't pay a membership for an internet forum. It just seems kinda...weird, really. If I were getting something more tangible, then I would, but internet forums' enjoyability for me tends to be ephemeral and phases in and out too much for me to even consider that expense, even if it's something that doesn't really hurt my finances.

This is probably the most important reason I don't want to join SA.  Well, at least, this is why I won't pay for it, and since I have to pay for a membership, yeah.

That said, please don't buy me a membership; I've got enough other things on my plate already.

• edited 2012-04-21 23:36:48

">Pretty much what Flyboy said in regards to me. The amount of rage in the TvTropes thread is miles higher than in any other mock thread in the site for some reason.

My theory is that the nature of TV Tropes attracts obsessives in either fans or detractors."

I think it stems from something personal, since that tends to be the source of the most excessive vitriol. Most likely it's arts students having high hopes for the site as a thoughtful, yet casual resource for analyzing fiction, only to realize most of the userbase is only interested in pointless trivia and the usual stuff that's been gone over a thousand times. I guess I can sort of understand since the userbase is really difficult to deal with, but why people refuse to move on is something that eludes me.

"I've found that it's fun to lurk D&D, however, with the threads mocking Free Republic and Conservapedia being markedly better than the anti-TvTropes thread because those sites really are irredeemably evil and stupid." 

Fandom Lunacy is a favourite of mine, mostly because the members don't seem to be so creepily grudgingly personal about it and overall, it's more having fun pointing and laughing. 

The implosion of the feminism thread is unfortunate. It really did teach me a lot about what it's like to live in others' shoes and watching my actions (especially when a large portion of averting misogyny should be common courtesy to anyone) and many of the users were quite sincere. I saw that transphobia is what sunk it which just goes to show how social justice advocates can still be guilty of prejudice against those that are different.

• edited 2012-04-21 23:41:12
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

>social justice advocates can still be guilty of prejudice against those that are different.

Are you meaning to say social justice bloggers aren't beacons of wisdom that no how to end all racial and sexual inequality?

Shocker.

This discussion has been closed.