If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• edited 2017-03-02 04:18:35
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Also is it just me or did you skip Bloodlines.

Crap.

* Englishman and prettyboy tour Europe and kill vampire.

Also which ones did you not recognize?

also how the heck did your post span the width of the page
  • Bloodlines is my favorite.
  • Oh ummmmm also I should mention how much I like Circle of the Moon and Rondo of Blood.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    PLAY DRACULA XX

evil_grin.gif evil_grin.gif evil_grin.gif evil_grin.gif evil_grin.gif evil_grin.gif evil_grin.gif evil_grin.gif evil_grin.gif evil_grin.gif
  • It can't be as good as DRACULA XXX can it~? ;)
    It's better if you're a masochist.
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    I didn't recognize a bunch of them but I chalk that up to not having played any later than Aria of Sorrow.

My favorites are Symphony of What Is a Man, the aforementioned Aria, and (yes!) Simon's Quest.
  • It's better if you're a masochist.

W-well...
  • Just beat Fantasy Puppet Dance Performance, and am the best puppet trainer in all of Gensokyo. Good times.

My final team was Speed!Youmu (starter, steel/nether), Power!Shinmyoumaru (steel/fighting), Defense!Keine (steel), Defense!Daiyousei (grass) and the two wastes of space Defense!Akyuu (none) and Defense!Kosuzu (none). Normally I don't plan my teams at all, just improvising as I go along, leading to dubious typing choices, in this case three steel types and one grass type meant fire types caused a lot of trouble.

I was overleveled for much of the run after getting stuck on the Scarlet Devil Mansion, so I didn't have much trouble, but things got harder and harder and by the end of the game damage seemed to get out of control. I could barely beat the first of the Elite Four equivalents, so I just bought my way to the end.

Normally I'd play more until beating the Elite Four without using items, but I think this time after I'm done seeing the post-game stuff I'll start playing the expansion right away.
  • edited 2017-03-10 06:19:54
    UE streaming AM2R now: http://original.livestream.com/unknownentity634

stream over at ~1am eastern; next episode later
    Lowest-rated games in my Steam library that I've played:
    * Turba (33% positive) - The game works and is kinda fun.  Its ability to pick up on the rhythm of music tracks I give to it seems a little limited, but I think it's reasonably enjoyable aside from that.  Not quite as engrossing as, say, Slydris, though.
    * eXceed - Gun Bullet Children (48% positive) - decent-length shmup, excellent music.  Too bad it isn't translated and it also forces fullscreen while being really poorly upscaled.  They lost the source code and that's why it's not been updated.  I still liked it though.  Played it through all the way.
    * Viking: Battle for Asgard (49% positive) - seems to be a port of a console game, a third-person 3D hack-and-slash sort of thing, with some relation to Total War I think.  The porting was done with some pretty poor interface and controls choices, such as requiring mouse usage but then not enabling it for selecting locations on the map.  Seems to be reasonably playable though, and I've been meaning to play more of it.  I haven't really entered my first big battle yet.
    * Akane the Kunoichi (50%) - a 2D level-by-level platformer.  The controls are rather stiff, ironically (because you're controlling a ninja).
    * Wanderlust: Rebirth (52% positive) - a top-down co-op action RPG.  Too bad no one else is playing it.  And I think the interface is a little unintuitive sometimes.  But I remember enjoying it.
    * QuestRun (54% positive) - a strategy/RPG sort of thing, but not in the tactical sense but rather in a sort of mobile-style game where you grind a lot and prep your characters by doing that and using the resources you grind out and stuff like that.  I think.  I just remembering it becoming tedious.
    * Magical Drop V (55% positive) - a fast-paced puzzle game where you move things to different columns to get three-or-more-in-a-row.  It's a French indie studio's entry into a relatively well-known Japanese arcade franchise.  Apparently some of the negative reviews are from fans complaining that it's missing features compared to the original arcade games, but I think it's fine, albeit difficult and requiring a lot of skill.
    * Mighty No. 9 (59% positive) - long and complicated story, but basically it was supposed to be the second coming of Mega Man, but then production hit various hiccups and expectations got dashed and some other stuff happened and a lot of people ended up hating the game for various reasons.  The game itself seems to be pretty decent, though not quite thoroughly enjoyable -- ironically, rather like an early Mega Man game, in my opinion.  The game is poorly optimized though -- I need to set it on the lowest graphical settings to make it work.  And the menus I need to use to do that are somewhat unintuitive.
    * Delve Deeper (59% positive) - puzzle game involving controlling a team of dwarves exploring a dungeon, and competing with rival teams to do so.  These sorts of games usually aren't my thing, but besides this, the game is noticeably buggy and can crash a little more easily than I'd like it to.
    * 99 Spirits (60% positive) - a JRPG involving word-guessing, set in feudal Japan.  I actually liked this, with few reservations (there are some occasional crashes but that's all that's really a problem).  Is the same game as Tsukumogami, which has a userscore of 66% only because it's listed separately.
    * 99 Levels to Hell (61% positive) - a dungeon-diver action 2D platformer with some procedural generation elements.  Actually kinda fun, though not without problems like the blood effects occasionally covering up important gameplay elements.  Also a little repetitive after a while.
    * Hydrophobia: Prophecy (62% positive) - seems to be a story-driven TPS game.  Also seems to be either poorly optimized or at least all those complex water effects make this game require an obnoxiously beefy computer.
    * Tobe's Vertical Adventure (63% positive) - a short platformer, for up to two players in co-op.  The only criticism I can see being a thing, at least for me, is a that it's short.
    * Wooden Sen'SeY (65% positive) - a pretty decent 2.5D platformer, in my opinion.  The last level can take a lot of tries, but the rest are pretty decent.  The controls are pretty smooth.
    * Gish (66% positive) - a 2D platformer where you play as an oil drop with an attitude?  I played it for a few minutes before dropping it.  One of the very first games I got on Steam actually.
    * Ultionus: A Tale of Petty Revenge (67% positive) - a 2D platformer and basically a thorough remake of Phantis, a.k.a. Game Over II, for DOS/MSX/Atari/C64/ZXS/Amstrad.  Solo project by an artist who worked on the art of Monster Tale for DS.  Controls are quite stiff, which is the main criticism -- the rest is pretty enjoyable, including music by virt and pretty darn clearly professional sprite art which really shows its quality.
    * Steel Storm: Burning Retribution (67% positive) - top-down action game where you move a tank around and shoot at things.  The world turns around you and there's a good deal of momentum effects so the controls may feel a little frustrating at times.  But it's playable.  A ground-level lateral viewpoint from behind your craft is an unlock after you've beaten the game, which is a bit of a bummer.
    * Home (69% positive) - a horror game, presented as a platformer.  The horror is in the atmosphere and speculating about the words the main character says, which sometimes felt a little uninteresting.
    * And Yet It Moves (69% positive) - a 2D platformer whose main mechanic is turning the world around you so that gravity points in different directions relative to the map.  Rather interesting game, and I liked it.

Lowest-rated games in my Steam library that I've been interested in playing:
    * dUpLicity ~Beyond the Lies~ (33% positive) - a visual novel.
    * Recruits (34% positive) - an isometric action game.
    * Cold Contract (34% positive) - another isometric action game?  Not currently available on Steam.
    * Hacker Evolution: Duality (38% positive) - a hacking simulator
    * Inescapable (40% positive) - a 2D platformer metroidvania
    * Galcon Legends (40% positive) - a shmup, I think?  Oddly, its companion game, Galcon Fusion, is 76% positive.
    * One Night (41% positive) - first-person horror
    * QUALIA 3: Multi Agent (45% positive) - twin-stick shmup, I think
    * Eleusis (51% positive) - I think it's something set in Ancient Rome?
    * Slam Bolt Scrappers (54% positive) - a game from an indie studio with some friends of mine.  They also made Go Home Dinosaurs! but that got a 94% positive rating.
    * Depression Quest (56% positive) - a game about the experiencing depression.  Made by Zoe Quinn, and a number of its reviews seem to have been written around the time that #gamergate was a thing, which unfortunately clouds a more proper assessment of the game.  (It also led to it being tagged things like "psychological horror" and "villain protagonist".)  I got interested in it just to see whether it was worth the fuss; I still haven't actually played it.
    * Hacker Evolution: Untold (58% positive) - another hacking simulator
    * Last Inua (61% positive) - a game that seems like it might be like Never Alone (as in inspired by Inuit myth) but more cartoony
    * 3 Stars of Destiny (61% positive) - a fantasy JRPG involving cute anime girls.  What could go wrong?
    * A Valley Without Wind (62% positive) - some sort of Terraria-like builder/exploration 2D platformer game
    * Salvation Prophecy (65% positive) - some sort of 3D sci-fi thing
    * Sideway New York (66% positive) - a platformer where the world you play in is a world of urban graffiti
    * Abyss Odyssey (66% positive) - a 2(.5?)D action platformer with exploration elements
    * Pier Solar and the Great Architects (68%) - a JRPG, and actually the most recent Genesis game, made by an indie group and originally released a few years after 2000, I think.
    * Secrets of Rætikon (69% positive) - it says it's a 2D action adventure open world metroidvania, so I guess that's what it is?
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    Pier Solar is a bit interesting to me just because it was made for the Genesis. Although I haven't played it

"a game about experiencing depression" well this would be rather redundant for me, eh
  • edited 2017-03-11 03:02:45

Pier Solar is a bit interesting to me just because it was made for the Genesis. Although I haven't played it

"a game about experiencing depression" well this would be rather redundant for me, eh

I skimmed some reviews and I remember that the one legit criticism of it that I saw (i.e. not just flaming Zoe Quinn over gamergate, often with some amount of bad jokes involving a certain restaurant chain's name) was that it was presented in a relatively dull way, with questions and answers in text.

Then again, the game is free.  And some people have also commented that depression really does feel very "dull" in a similar, tedious way.
  • It's a bummer apparently Mighty No. 9 didn't turn out that well, it was really promising.

I kinda want to play Depression Quest and see if it matches my experience with depression, although if it's dull as they say it probably doesn't.
  • I guess being dull is the point. It's le art game.
    At some point I guess I'm obligated to play this darn thing and then report about my experiences.
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    I don't find depression dull, personally
    I dreamed that I loaded up a game and I was in the middle of this long and confusing dungeon which I'd done part of, and it was one where the walls were made of this bright blue-green crystal and the enemies were these skeleton-looking constructs.  I skipped ahead to the boss -- like, literally skipping, or more like flying over most of the enemies to avoid getting into battles with them.  And originally all I knew of the boss was that its icon was a tall, modern streetlamp.  Then when I fought the boss, it turned out to be some sort of information-eater.  It had trapped an aircraft carrier and the remnants of a town inside a cave, and boasted to me that it would consume everything they knew.  Its attack mechanic consisted of attempting to eat the aircraft carrier using a waterfall, and throwing its rubble at me.
  • edited 2017-03-13 08:31:30
    Wow.  Inescapable has certainly been...an experience.

This game seems to have a terrible review score on Steam, but 2D platformers with an exploration focus are my thing, and I had the game in my library, so I tried it out anyway.  Besides, it's just 3 MB in size.

It did not disappoint me.  I just finished this game.  I enjoyed this game...well, as much as "enjoying" is a word applicable to a pretty darn tense horror game.  And yeah, it's not tagged Horror but I'd call this a horror game.  I guess that's the only vaguely spoilery thing I'll tell you.

Sure, the game is something that you can finish in an evening, and there's no replay value besides speedrunning it, but...this was like watching a movie that leaves you with a lot to think about.  In a good way.

Incidentally, I'm usually really into game music, but this game completely lacks music.  But I'm also into the atmospheric "feel" of in-game environs...and despite (or due to?) the lack of music, this game delivers its sense of atmosphere quite effectively.  So I didn't mind the silence.  It just made the experience that much more striking.  (This was somewhat reminiscent of this other exploration horror platformer called Holdover.)

A few technical/design comments:
    * There's one place where you can potentially get yourself stuck in a nook behind a door you can't open.  Not very good design, but you can easily reset the room by quitting and continuing from the autosave, which takes less than 10 seconds.  The game autosaves every time you enter a room.  So try it again and do something more clever.
    * When you enter another room (i.e. a screen transition), and you're still standing in the doorway, you can't re-leave the room.  You have to step a little bit out of the doorway in order to go back whence you came.
    * The game BSOD'd my computer (Win8.1), the first time I closed it after finishing it.  Given what happened in the story, though...it felt fitting.  Heh.  But when I tried closing it a few more times, including after re-finishing the game, it didn't crash again.  I can't replicate this.  Spooky...

(this text was cross-posted to Steam as a review, and to the Caves of Narshe as a forum post)
  • Caves of Narshe still exists? I do so miss the days when video game forums were relevant.
  • edited 2017-03-13 17:49:21
    Caves of Narshe still exists? I do so miss the days when video game forums were relevant.

Still does.  The forums are also still active.

The site now covers more games.  They added a few games in recent years.  Their coverage now includes: FF1, FF4, FF5, FF6, FF7, FF9, FF Tactics, and Chrono Trigger.
    IJBM: I bet you that if Pokémon only just now started to be a thing, there would be a bunch of people whining about how the English Pokémon names are different from the Japanese ones.
  • edited 2017-03-13 23:27:21
    Pika Girl
    The Japanese pokemon names sound really dumb in English. Umm where are Final Fantasies 3, 8, and 10? I'll concede that FF2 should not exist. Also if they have Chrono Trigger they should add Xenogears!
  • edited 2017-03-14 02:14:12
    The Japanese pokemon names sound really dumb in English. Umm where are Final Fantasies 3, 8, and 10? I'll concede that FF2 should not exist. Also if they have Chrono Trigger they should add Xenogears!

Suggesting games for them to add has been...a thing for years and a thing they traditionally make fun of.

That's because they usually spend an extensive amount of time writing up a walkthrough, databases of all the items, enemies, skills, etc. etc. etc. for game, and then debut the whole section.  So the practical, no-nonsense response to "add this game plz!" is usually "do you have a database with all this information, and are you willing to help us transform that database into something that can be displayed on the site?".

As a result, it's mainly whichever games that the site staff and other helpers really like and take the time to make databases for.  FF9 was added within the past couple years I think, and it's the most recent addition.  The staff kinda hates FF8, and there are occasional requests for FF2 but no one actually likes that game enough to make a section for it.  The next most likely addition is probably FF10.  After that, maybe TWEWY or Bravely Default, going by the tastes of people who I've seen around the forum, but those would probably be at least another five or so years down the road.
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    I did play Depression Quest. It's a niftly little piece of art, and does let you see through heavy-handed metaphor of stricken out options the thought processess of a depressed individual mulling over the remaining options, however it seems to me like too first world* for me to find a common ground, given I've never experienced it myself, so all I have is anecdote from known associates.

When I say first world, I mean the main character has access to network of friends, a significant other, parents with the will and capacity to help them in their recovery, lives in a city with relative ease of access to therapy and medication etc.
  • ^^ FF2 is literally the worst RPG I've ever played. And I've played some really really bad ones.

^ That was also my issue with it. I've lived in the gutters too. I still have depression but I'm extremely fortunate now to have a home, a therapist, and medication. I'm still pretty lonely and single and misunderstood and my depression is compounded by a basket of other mental issues but whaddyagonnado.

I love you vorpy-senpai
  • edited 2017-03-14 04:51:07
    He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    I AM GONNA BE THE BERRY BEST! I can only just say, hope things work out. Also, I want HM2 and furi
    I'm bored and wanna start a survey.

(A) arrow keys
    (B) WASD
    (C) a gamepad
    (D) I don't play 2D platformers

If you answered A, B, or C, also answer this:

How do you prefer to jump?
    (E) by pressing an action button using the other hand (e.g. Z, if using arrow keys)
    (F) by pressing an action button using the same hand (e.g. spacebar, if using WASD)
    (G) by pressing up
  • edited 2017-03-14 08:06:44
    He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    CE

Edit: Thought it out, cg is not my preferred style after all.
  • "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."
    Based on the 2D platformer I play the most (Dustforce), A+E. Arrow keys to move, space to jump.