If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• dragongirl girl seems cute maybe i should not avoid watching it
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    SAO is getting a boardgame, if it were in English I think I'd actually be interested in getting it.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I think there exists a Rockman.EXE version of Settlers of Catan.  No idea how they'd implement that, but it's apparently a thing.  I don't have it.
    It suddenly struck me, a fun thing to do with Planetarian's Hoshino Yumemi's dub voice.

You ever called a number and had a generic female voice speaking to you and attempting to use speech-recognition software on what you say?

Hoshino could sound like that lol.  In fact, I'm so used to hearing that that I was basically wondering if she sounded "too human".
  • Utena
    On the one hand, YES! But this probably means 90s shoujo manga anatomy in physical form.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    That sad moment when SAO is a major hit when anything else could've been.
  • edited 2017-02-19 05:20:45
    Pika Girl
    I think this video is a pretty good analysis of SAO's popularity. To summarize: it's new, it's relevant, it appeals to the base instincts of many teenagers, and it captures the zeitgeist of today's youth. That said, I'm well aware it's a shit anime. :p

On a side note: Revolutionary Girl Utena is a masterpiece and I love it dearly.
  • I consider Utena the greatest magical girl thing I've seen as far as themes go. Too bad the magic brings it down.
    ID-0 sounds great but the PV is really disappointing.
  • telepathy talk

Redman is the true tsundere of Fate/stay Night.
    I never thought the day would come when there would be an episode of Kemono Friends after which people could go "It gets good at episode X" but 7 made that happen.
  • edited 2017-02-25 16:01:44
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Hey, that was one of the few series I thought I might be interested in watching.

(Note the timestamp)
  • edited 2017-02-25 16:52:51
    I watched Dragon Crisis! (2011 LN adaptation by Deen).

I was going to write a whole thing about how it's secretly Good, Actually but really it's basically just a completely ordinary LN adaptation. But it's basically inoffensive and does enough things adequately enough that I had a lot of fun watching it. Hiro Shimono plays the protagonist and is wonderful and moe as usual, Rie Kugimiya... does Rie Kugimiya things. The OST is sometimes great, the character designs are appealing, the animation usually looks good (well, it's Deen, so it's sometimes also not so good but... okay), and generally look and feel is solid. Overall plot and character development is mostly limited to first and last three episodes, with the middle six being episodic character introduction stuff, but it's fairly satisfying when it does happen (and the middle episodes are mostly fun anyway). Ryuuji and Rose's relationship does develop somewhat over the course of the series and it's cute. The obligatory normal girl who was in love with main character since before the start of the series... exists, but is much less doomed-to-be-eternally-unhappy than usual and the scenes with her were actually fun...

Well basically all of this is just "It's not amazing but I liked it anyway" which is basically the case, yeah. Really, it's mostly that it avoids excessive fanservice stuff, has more or less an actual plot with an ending, is kiiiiiiiiind of not really very harem-y (though maybe it technically is), etc., and while what it actually is overall is just "generic LN anime"... that's kind of okay with me? It's basically competent and imo fun so... I like it.
    i think nisekoi is that series with that one character i keep on thinking is from aikatsu
    I think you mean Doki Doki PreCure.
    I think you mean Doki Doki PreCure.

Wait, who are you thinking of?

I'm thinking of the two girls with the blond hair and red bows.
    I'm thinking of the two girls with the blond hair and red bows.
    Hoshimiya Ichigo. Commit it to memory.

I have no idea what the Nisekoi one is called. Chitoge or something.
  • edited 2017-02-28 20:28:32
    @fourteenwings What was your reason for objecting to or otherwise expressing uninterest in Chain Chronicle?  I just watched the first ep and it seems reasonably interesting and without anything of controversy.
  • My IRC log wrote:
    Jan 10 00:23:14     DYRE: Also Chain Chronicle basically just starts like there were four cours of other stuff before it and it's basically only made for people who like the game or something but also I still somehow managed to dislike the protagonist and the villain in the like 5 minutes I watched.
  • edited 2017-02-28 21:05:19
    So many fantasy stories have in medias res starts anyway.  This one didn't seem anything out of the ordinary.

If anything Elsword is far more guilty of in medias res confusingness.
  • edited 2017-03-01 12:13:19
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    in medias res
    From what I understand that is the actual starting point of the Chain Chronicle anime, they don't flash back to stuff afterward.

Also "In Media Res" scenarios almost never have that ridiculous an amount of "what are they on about" dumped on you at once.
  • edited 2017-03-01 17:51:02
    Well I thought it was pretty clear.  There's an evil antagonist who's been sending undeads to do nasty things and who is king of a certain realm, and apparently the father of one of the main characters.  So the continent's major powers all banded together into a military alliance, and apparently made a political agreement wherein they would disband after the fight.  And then they actually lost the fight, but accordingly, they disbanded anyway.  There's this seemingly random boy who seems to have inspired them to form this alliance.  But now that they've lost, said boy as well as other leaders of said alliance are now facing some unhappy members of the populace.

That doesn't really cover everything -- obviously, we've got very little information about why the Chain Chronicle is important or why the fairy is the essence of the world or whatever -- but I figured that those things would just be revealed in due time.  As well as the boy's backstory.  And so on.

I mean, it's not like all stories give us a dump of the setting info right at the beginning.  Keeping the audience in the dark about certain things is a thing.
    There's an evil antagonist who's been sending undeads to do nasty things and who is king of a certain realm
    Compelling, I definitely want to spend 12 episodes with such a serious take to worldbuilding.

Anyways, I know the Chain Chronicle TV series is just the three movies split into episodes and I can understand why they would go for the action filled opening, but it is still an affront to narrative that you can only really afford in a "we don't really care, here's some action" movie-type thing.

I'm not saying Chain Chronicle is the worst thing, but it is definitely not well done and I didn't care enough to watch more.
    Oh, you've seen the movies?
    No?
  • edited 2017-03-06 12:40:55
    I just watched the Aikatsu Stars! movie and it was literally the best movie of all time 10/10 deserves all the Oscars, but I really want to talk about Aikatsu Stars! itself. We're almost to the climax, and are already in S4 Selection. Yuzu remains the Dance Class S4 member (spoilers I guess, if any of you plan to ever watch Aikatsu Stars!, but even I knew that before this episode aired) and we go to the Theater Class performance.

Now, I can't personally judge by the theater portion of their performance, but I feel like if the playing field were leveled, Ako had a real chance at beating Tsubasa. I guess all of the hang ups were supposed to be presented as why Tsubasa did actually win, but in any case:

Tsubasa:
    • Wore a Premium Coord
    • Sang a song that, in-universe, is the theme song to the popular movie she stars in, which is why her aura activated like... two seconds after she started

Ako:

• Did not wear a Premium Coord, granted, none of the protagonists are wearing something explicitly marked Premium, but they did each get a Personal Coord aside from Ako, who skipped her chance to get one so that she could keep a commitment to a concert for her fans, which was a great moment for her character
    • Sang a song that the audience has probably heard before in Yuzu and Lily's music video, by herself. I feel her version is way better, but the lack of dual-vocals might have affected her chances.

Basically, I think Ako deserves her spot in S4 (losing to Tsubasa just means Tsubasa is better, since she'll still graduate and leave her spot in S4) more than she's giving herself credit for. This whole thing made me respect Ako much more as a character.

Also I can't talk about this episode without this:

Listening to NPR on long car rides can be enlightening, in unexpected ways.

I think what I'm looking for is some kind of fantasy story that, despite being fantasy, feels "too real" in terms of its social/political implications.  One that does in fact "go there" in addressing controversial topics.  For example, one where the villain doesn't just destroy the town with some nasty arcane black magic, but where the villain, for example, says crazy things that he doesn't necessarily believe in but do cause nearby bandits to have a hateboner for the town and then go sack it.

Yes, that's nearly analogous to something Donald Trump does.  Yes, that's exactly my point.
  • edited 2017-03-09 05:15:23
    Gatchaman CROWDS Insight was basically the 2016 American Election but more palatable.

Obviously, it's set in modern times and is about transforming sentai, which is like the opposite of what you're looking for.

I think fantasy is particularly bad at real-life analogues because we just don't think of people before modern times having modern ideas, even though what's changed about how we live isn't us exactly, just the technology we have access to.

So we imagine that before like, 1920 or something, everybody absolutely believed whatever horserabble they were peddling or they were like an Trickster/Thief/Rogue type you could spot from a thousand miles away.

Granted, last year I watched Seisen Cerberus : Ryuukoku no Fatalite, in which the main villain tries to get all the states to battle each other so he can set a murderous dragon on them all, after which he'll sell them all "effective" dragon battling weapons (and basically war+scary murderous dragon=lots of weapon sales anyways=$$$). It mostly wasn't about that though. It's one of the many reasons I consider it a favorite though.

Tales of Zestiria the X was less clear with Bartlow's aims for being Alicia's foil and his motives for starting a war. I guess like, genuinely just being a ridiculously nationalistic idiot is a thing that happens in real life, but they never explored that far enough for me to say they did it in a subversive way.
    Just watched the Aikatsu Stars! Hoshi no Tsubasa announcement event. There were a lot of like BIG [inaudible 14w scream] moments but most of all was OH GOODNESS KOHARU WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN A VENUS ARK UNIFORM.