If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• edited 2014-08-06 08:34:36
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

(h/t to onyhow for this alert)

Bundle In A Box is shutting down.

If you've bought anything from them, you should grab all the downloads now, before August 8 hits.  So you have a day or two.  And redeem the Desura and Steam keys (or at least save the page; they should be in the page source).

Also, I have a couple extra copies of their Eclectic Delights bundle.  If you want one, let me know.  It contains this:

* Delve Deeper [D], including 2 DLC packs: Gratis Grottos and Treasures & Tunnels
    * "Hexadecimal" (soundtrack of Droidscape: Basilica)
    * Eversion
    * Fibrillation [D]
    * Flibble
    * Human Tanks I: War of the Human Tanks [D]
    * Sound of the Human Tanks (soundtrack of Human Tanks I)
    * Skylight [D]
    * Shadows on the Vatican - Act I: Greed [D]
    * Shadows on the Vatican - Act II: Wrath [D]
    * Shadows on the Vatican (soundtrack)
    * Stay Dead [D]
    * The 4th Wall
    * The Adventures of Shuggy [D]
    * The Adventures of Shuggy (comic)
    * The Adventures of Shuggy (soundtrack)

[D] = Desura key
    = Steam key
    All items are also available for direct download.  (But only for the next two days.)

• BeeBee
    edited 2014-08-07 19:35:36

So in honor of the recent 45th anniversary of Apollo 11, HertzDevil did this:

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I wonder whether I can use the number of card drops a Steam game has as a proxy for roughly what kind of time commitment I'll need to play the game.

• "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."

• OVERKILL

• OVERKILL!

• OVERKILL!!

• DO YOU EVEN READ

• OVERKILL!!!

• What game is that from?

Transistor, when you're in Turn() and you queue up more attacks than you need to kill an enemy. The funny thing is, the enemy I targeted didn't even die- all of my Ping()s missed.

• edited 2015-10-09 07:45:45

[user deleted]

• That reminds me, I still need to play Bastion. I've had it sitting on my hard drive for a while.

That reminds me, I still need to play a large number of games. I've had them sitting on my hard drive for a while.

FTFY

I did get around to playing Knights of Pen and Paper (which I finished), Delve Deeper (which I dropped), Wanderlust Rebirth, Astebreed, Lunar Flight (which I'll probably drop), and Unholy Heights.

• Haha, yeah. Steam sales are great, aren't they?

Bundles are even better.

All of those except for Wanderlust Rebirth were from bundles.  (WR was from a Steam sale.)

• There is love everywhere, I already know

Started playing Kira Kira Pop Princess today. Playing normal mode, it's absolutely unforgiving. The rating system for each tap goes Rainbow!>Kira2>Good>Miss and I've gone through multiple songs without missing anything (and even stringing a combo through the entire song) and the best grade I've gotten was a C+ because I had a few "Good"s here and there. I also think your grade is tied to the amount of money you get because all the stuff you can buy is completely out of my reach.

And then there's the actual gameplay, it has a preliminary bar that shows what button is coming up but not what motion (tap, left scratch, right scratch, down scratch and up scratch). And looking at it is a liability since the songs after the first two don't exactly have breaks in which you can stop looking at the tap screen. For a game system with only three buttons (plus a purple bar that only shows up during down/up scratches) it is really hard to keep up with.

Then there's the time for each tap, the normal tap bar will disappear within 1.5 seconds while the scratch bars are a bit more forgiving (about 2.5 seconds?) since they have an animation (but it means you have to process the information and then perform the action and if you get in late you're stuck with a good).

All of this makes me wonder if this was meant for little girls (as it was marketed for in the west), or maybe I just suck at rhythm games.

As for the story and characters, they're fun. The game is actually set on Pinky Street (where every part of town has one institution/dance club, clothes shop, a gambling machine and a photo booth place) and they mention that it's set in Japan.

The characters are silly and cute and the plot is nonsense (Top dancer Anna leaves you, the worst dancer/singer/everythinger ever, her dance club because she thinks you have tenacity and she's going off on a world tour and you have to learn every part of town's dance style and become dance queen, though all of this happens after you faint from hunger so maybe the entire plot is a dream).

The customization system is limited when it comes to colours for each piece but it has lots of cute clothes and hairstyles and stuff to make up for it, too bad they all cost around 15,000 coins (a C+ grade earns you about 148 coins).

I also like that if you lose a dance-off with the area dance queen who is teaching you there's an entire cut scene that makes you feel like a terrible player (and trust me this will happen more than once). It's unskippable so it makes losing against a single dance queen multiple times is just tons of fun.

• edited 2014-08-25 05:39:39

Oh wow.  99 Spirits's "Cage of Night" DLC -- basically just a VN -- is a mere 5.0 MB in size.  I'm guessing it's because it just reuses the existing art assets to tell a side-story involving the same characters.

Edit: never mind, that was some other update that was 5.0 MB.  The DLC VN itself is 52.9 MB.  (For reference, the base game is about 400 MB.)

Steam currently has The Bridge on sale for $0.99. This is a fantastic deal.

• My arms are falling off!

Butterfly armor in Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate.

Knock it if you must, but it's the one armor set I've found to have High-Grade Earplugs, as opposed to the basic Earplugs that don't shield against the more powerful monsters' roars.

> Knock it if you must

Well I will then.  It looks like Reimu Hakurei but with even worse fashion sense.

• a little muffled

i kinda like it

• edited 2015-10-09 07:41:38

[user deleted]

• edited 2014-08-29 02:08:13

The jubeat version of Synchrogazer is like a close cover -- it's clearly not Nana Mizuki singing, but it is very close to the original, aside from skipping a huge chunk of the song in order to finish it in a minute and a half.

• My arms are falling off!

The arcade <5 miles from my house may be getting jubeat saucer soon, which is the second-latest version and has 460 songs. My hands are the size of Colossal Titans so I much prefer the arcade experience over playing it on an iPad.

Suddenly, I want to organize a game on 2fort where one team has nine engineers, a heavy, and a sniper.

Nine engies because the ninth one is to stand in front of the guns of two of the other eight's sentries.

I still want to organize a game where everyone is a Medic, except for one Heavy and one Third Degree Pyro on each team.

• edited 2014-09-12 00:16:10

At 1:19, Dracula's like "This game is stupid."

Well, this was...16 minutes of Dracula insulting people, standing around while they got beaten up, then insulting people again.

Also, stop complaining about thirst when you're in a water arena.

• edited 2015-10-09 07:25:49

[user deleted]

• Castlevania Judgment, the game most infamous for a 12-year-old girl beating up a woman for not appreciating her "sacred gift". Even though it only gets in the way of her disguising herself as a man.

• edited 2015-10-09 07:25:58

[user deleted]

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

The kind the guys at Konami think works with the Castlevania Mythos. That is, absurd and fuckin' weird.

I think they were trying to get in on the mascot fighter craze.  It has good production values, but...no one really likes the concept.

If you want a really good Castlevania-themed dueling game, albeit one which I think is single-player and you're fighting against bosses, check out Serio's Castlevania Fighter.  (Ironically, it's written in Mugen.)

• That's... that's fucking Taokaka

eurgh

My ears...