If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Why I hate Anime, in a nutshell

Comments

• Electric Boogaloo
    That makes me just question the fanbase even more. Why the fuck would you want to see the same shit you just saw in the comic? They're both visual media. At less with a book, you could argue that you'd want to see how the story is visually conveyed, but why would you want to see a comic book turned into a cartoon that is exactly the same? It's not even like the anime adds much. They still have so many still shots, keyframes, and limited animation to the point that it's pretty much watching a still comic panel with voices, which doesn't really fly because if you just want to hear voices with your pictures, doesn't Japan have a monopoly on the "visual novel" market or whateverthefuckitscalled where it's just still images with voiceovers?
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    That makes me just question the fanbase even more. Why the fuck would you want to see the same shit you just saw in the comic? They're both visual media.

I can't speak for others, but I rarely read manga.

I don't really know though.
  • Who says it's the fans that want everything Anime-fied anyway?

What about the companies that actually work on it?

I mean honestly, you find a popular comic, and you animate it with the hopes that A. Fans of the comic will want to watch it, and B, you hook in more people and get more money.

• Electric Boogaloo
    ^Then the least you could do is put some effort into it.
  • edited 2011-09-16 05:55:04
    no longer cuddly, but still Edmond
    I think the problem with Dantes is the way he presents his opinions. I don't like Azumanga Daioh, and the only reason I've brought this particular opinion three times is because it's the only anime in that list I have watched. But you don't see me getting on your face and telling you that it's just bad or whatever.

On the other hand, if I said "I don't like Watchmen" you and half of TV Tropes would be down my throat. You can blame "presentation" all you want but you know its the opinion itself that matters in people's hearts and minds and all the gussying-up in the world wouldn't change that. You tell me I should be more humble in my approach. I got news for you: I've played that game before and it had the same goddamn result. It's the opinion people hate, not the way its presented.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    It's the opinion people hate, not the way its presented.

Bullshit. Acting like an asshole riles people up. People may disagree with your opinions- hell, you can pretty much guarantee that somebody will disagree with your opinion, no matter what- but that's not always what causes people to rage at you. That's just your assholery and the way you phrase everything.

Some people will rage at your opinions, but in general, it's just because you're a dickhead.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Disliking Watchmen is a little different to disliking a whole medium, though.

Anime is far from universally good, but it has its moments of brilliance as well.
  • edited 2011-09-16 06:39:12
    no longer cuddly, but still Edmond
    Bullshit. Acting like an asshole riles people up.

Not denying that. What I am denying is that it's the sole and exclusive reason (or even the biggest reason) for all the Edmond hate.

Anime is far from universally good, but it has its moments of brilliance as well.

Not denying that. The problem is that the "moments of brilliance" are increasingly harder to find. Sometimes I feel like I've already seen all the good ones and now I'm just working through their bastard offspring.
    It's not the sole and exclusive reason. It is the biggest reason. You're an asshole. people generally don't take well to your attitude; it riles them up, making them annoyed/pissed off at you.

Hell, it's happening to me right now.
  • no longer cuddly, but still Edmond
    If its my attitude, then why does the Anime topic have like thirty responses while the equivalent American toons topic has zero? Obviously, it's the subject matter that's the problem.
    Because it seems like a snowclone at first glance?

It's nearly 10PM and nearly nobody is online?

Because most of the posts in this topic have not even addressed your points made in the OP?

Because we may not be aware of what cartoons you are talking about versus what anime?
    1. This topic was a snowclone of that one.

2. Both topics were up for almost the same amount of time (the cartoons one was up slightly longer). One got responses, the other didn't.

3. Evidencing what, exactly?

4. I named them point-blank, and also whether you recognized the shows is beside the point as both topics are more about "I notice this recurring issue" where criticizing specific examples is merely a vehicle for the larger statement.
    I would prefer not to list them like that.

To address your points:

The first few posts in this thread were a couple of fans of one particular show you listed in your first post responding in a joking manner to what you said about it. It then moved away from talking about your first post completely in favour of talking about anime production, then moved on to me telling you that you're an asshole.you talk about the issues, but when your post reads like this-

"Hey, did you know there was a cartoon about Super Dave Osborne, the famous daredevil?"

"Oh cool. That sounds like an interesting change of pace. The thrill of being a stuntman, the corporate shenanigans, the rivalries, the backseat deal-wranglings, and the dangers involved in actually pulling off a stunt..."

The cartoon is actually about Super Dave stopping comic-book supervillains.

I don't have any idea what you're referring to. What is Super Dave, and why is this relevant to the point you're trying to make?

Without any idea of what you're referring to, I'm lost. I think you're talking about... no, actually, I have no clue. A comic about a daredevil and the world he lives in being reduced to him stopping super villains? As opposed to... what?

(Man, I'm glad I'm going to be in bed before people can respond. I hate getting embroiled in stupid arguments. I just can't stop myself.)
  • On the other hand, if I said "I don't like Watchmen" you and half of TV Tropes would be down my throat. You can blame "presentation" all you want but you know its the opinion itself that people hate, not the way it's presented.

Let it go, man; you know damn well there's no reasoning with them.

• You can change. You can.
    On the other hand, if I said "I don't like Watchmen" you and half of TV Tropes would be down my throat. 

Oh, puhleeze, as if you were the first person ever to dislike Watchmen.

I can accept someone not liking things. Just don't come to a forum without unreasonable arguments to back up your opinion. What's the point of me saying I don't like something if I ain't gonna discuss why?

If the arguments are weak, yes, they're bound to be attacked by many. It's not something that it's particularly unexpected. But that applies to every opinion, regardless of how popular/unpopular they are.

And let's face it, when you frame all your arguments about how we should all learn from Japan and about how America sux at everything ever, it's hard to even take you seriously.

@Juan: So people are dumb for taking an interest in works because of the significance to the industry they appreciate and aspire to be a part of? So an automechanic can't appreciate a car for it's quality of parts and overall appeal without being an idiot? He has to only like it for getting him from point A to B?

Notice that those would all be different reasons to the ones I've stated to be idiotic.
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    > MoesDantes
    > Media opinions

I'll get my coat. :T
  • They're somethin' else.
    I find this topic rather embarrassing. Moe Dantes actually does get an absurd amount of hate, and I hardly ever see him cross any line into assholism. At least, compared to other tropers.
  • NAO U GOT IT

No you don't.

Also: Mr Anime Sux vids makes some very, very, very good points. Why call it "anime" (short for "animation") if it's animation is... not animated?

But I don't agree that better animation = always better EVERY SINGLE TIME. Where anime fails in its quality I genuinely believe they make up for in its presentation and story telling. Where the guy said "You want story? Go read a book" is where he lost a lot of points with me. So films can't have good story? Cartoons and comics can't have good story? Nice one, bub.
    I find this topic rather embarrassing. Moe Dantes actually does get an absurd amount of hate, and I hardly ever see him cross any line into assholism. At least, compared to other tropers.

I don't think of Dantes as an asshole so much as a very opinionated person who really needs to think his post throoughly.

(Also, the whole killing hobos mishap)

Also, 

That makes me just question the fanbase even more. Why the fuck would you want to see the same shit you just saw in the comic? They're both visual media. At less with a book, you could argue that you'd want to see how the story is visually conveyed, but why would you want to see a comic book turned into a cartoon that is exactly the same? It's not even like the anime adds much. They still have so many still shots, keyframes, and limited animation to the point that it's pretty much watching a still comic panel with voices, which doesn't really fly because if you just want to hear voices with your pictures, doesn't Japan have a monopoly on the "visual novel" market or whateverthefuckitscalled where it's just still images with voiceovers?

Endings, presentation, plot changes, etc etc
    Voice acting, music, stuff you'd never even be able to encounter in a comicbook.
  • edited 2011-09-16 13:55:29
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    @EdmondDantes > Hey Edmond!  You liked X, right?  Maybe you'll like Y!

Frankly speaking, this is how recommendations are ALWAYS made.  This just means that whatever the similarity is between X and Y is not interesting enough to you to make you like Y.  This is of course entirely the realm of YMMV.

This commonly happens to me too.  Basically, what's happening is that someone thought you like X because of some aspect A that you don't actually care all that much for.  It's like saying to me, "Oh, you like Kiddy Grade, so you must like loli superheroes!" whereas Lumière's character art design is actually one of my LEAST favorite parts of the series, in part because it makes very little sense.

In short: Liking a work doesn't mean liking every aspect and part of it.

@EdmondDantes > Azumanga Daioh and K-On!...like Lucky Star but not cute or funny

To be honest, I find Lucky Star neither cute nor funny.  LS's "cuteness", if there is any, comes purely from the character designs, and from pretty much nothing else, as far as I can tell.

On the other hand, Azumanga Daioh is a bit adorable--especially the slower situations involving Osaka and Chiyo.  Though I don't find it funny; just vaguely amusing.  I have never seen K-On!.

@Edmond Dantes > "Don't. Recommend. Anything."  Silence falls across the land. The end.

Yeah, this is one problem with fans.  They really like their stuff so they become overzealous about recommending it to friends and acquaintances.

@Scrye2 > It's certainly hit every genre and subject under the sun, but many times their execution in such just goes awry, though I would forgive many of these if it weren't for their shoddy animation. Samurai Champloo, for example, would have been fucking great if it actually had fluid animation with a decent framerate and didn't abuse limited animation and keyframes so much. Watch that show again. It's more akin to a slideshow than to a cartoon.

Point taken.  That said, how much a person cares about animation quality does vary from person to person--I've noticed that I really don't care that much, and while I am very much aware that western animation is smoother, to me it doesn't make as much of a difference, and the much wider selection of content in animé more than makes up for it in my opinion.  That said, it really does depend on the particular show.  I'm not sure if you've read some of my posts a few weeks back, but I was criticizing Uta~Kata for having noticeably substandard animation, such as scenes where the mom and dad at the dinner table nod and talk at EXACTLY the same time.

Also, the freakin' eyes.  Too freakin' big in moë.

@Scrye2 > Also, filler. Way too much filler.

If you find what I call "self-contained" series--i.e. those that just aim to tell a story over the course of one season (~12 or ~24 episodes), rather than being long runners aiming for continued production season after season--those are usually better about not having filler.

@Counterclock > On-topic then, I like some Anime shows, not all of them, or what can amount to be a majority of them.

And this is why I don't like to say that "I like animé" as a blanket statement.  I guess I can count as an animé fan for some purposes, but when I also have little interest in much of what the animé fandom as a whole tends to go crazy over, it's really not all that useful.  I prefer seeing it as my liking individual series/works/stories, and putting those on the same level of other visual media including western animation and live-action productions.

@Scrye2 > Why not do your own thing with your anime instead of doing it exactly like the comic?

Actually, frequently, manga-based animé series differ in plot, sometimes very substantially.  A notable example is Fullmetal Alchemist, where the animé just got tired of waiting and produced its own plot, eventually causing the different manga plot to be adapted to animation as FMA: Brotherhood.

In the case of Eureka Seven, based on what I've read, the animé and manga also present very different stories--their premises are similar but the stories themselves feature very different events and conclusions.

@Scrye2 > Take a look at the American superhero cartoons. They're based off of actively serialized comic books but they usually follow their own continuities, and thus function independently from the comics.

Well, from what I know (correct me if I'm wrong), these typically are produced by two separate content creation groups--you have comic book writers doing their own thing and animated series writers doing their own other thing.  This is especially possible since the franchise doesn't revolve around a premise or setting or even cast, but around a single character (or a very small set of characters), who can be cast into various scenarios and various settings simultaneously.  On the other hand, the case with animé and manga is that they're often co-produced and promoted together, and most importantly, aim to appeal to the same group of fans.

@Forzare > Eh, if I watch an anime, I generally don't read the manga.  But that's just me.

Nope, it's not just you; same here.  The only difference so far is Magic Knight Rayearth...and I still haven't read or watched the second season.

@Scrye2 > Why the fuck would you want to see the same shit you just saw in the comic? They're both visual media.

Uh, no.

1. animation.  movement.  How about the difference between seeing a set of photos of an event, and seeing a videotape of the event itself?

2. sounds.  Those pictures don't contain audio data; the most they can do is a "BIFF" here or an "VROOM" there.  Again, see point 1.  And then there's the fact that we're now putting voices to people.  Would you rather see a silent film or a film with corresponding audio?

3. soundtrack.  You greatly underestimate the power of music to bring a scene to life, and provide a sense of immersion.  Would, say, a wedding home video be the same if John Williams or Jake Kaufman added a soundtrack of incidental music to it?

@MoeDantes > Not denying that. The problem is that the "moments of brilliance" are increasingly harder to find. Sometimes I feel like I've already seen all the good ones and now I'm just working through their bastard offspring.

I think the problem is that you sound like a disgruntled fan frequently making a point of how things used to be better.

@Yuuki Nao > No you don't

OH U

@Juan_Carlos > I don't think of Dantes as an asshole so much as a very opinionated person who really needs to think his post throoughly.

This.

OH HOLY SHIT THERE'S A SECOND PAGE NOW
    Well, I should have seen it coming, with a title like "Why I hate Anime".
    Glenn's sockpuppet when he's using Opera.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Oh look. Another thread where Edmond flings around the same opinions obnoxiously that derails into being about him.

I'm not tired of these threads.
    > Derails

A thraed started by Dantes is a thread about Dantes. So...not derail.
  • To answer Scrye's question, I find watching everything unfold in animation to be a vastly different experience than reading it in comic format. But that's just me.
  • I haven't seen most of the anime Dantes mentioned, but I did like Azumanga Daioh. Thing is, it's a lot like Peanuts is in the US -- somewhat on the slow side, and a bit too precious at times. If you're looking for something that moves faster, I could see why you'd like Lucky Star, as I understand it's closer to Excel Saga in pacing and wackiness.

I haven't seen K-On, but the character designs are so cute that it actually makes it a little difficult to watch. And I like cute.

I don't have any idea what you're referring to. What is Super Dave, and why is this relevant to the point you're trying to make?

Without any idea of what you're referring to, I'm lost. I think you're talking about... no, actually, I have no clue. A comic about a daredevil and the world he lives in being reduced to him stopping super villains? As opposed to... what?

Answered this in the American cartoons thread.

Why the fuck would you want to see the same shit you just saw in the comic?

To be completely honest, what it comes down to is the comic is what we liked, thought was good, wanted to get all our friends hooked on as well, and so on and so forth.

An adaptation is like a chef attempting another chef's recipe. If he cocks it up, its possible nobody would ever want to eat the oriignal chef's better version even if they were assured its better--the bad chef just killed the dish. I remember one of my friends used to put garlic powder in hamburger meat when cooking. His burgers tasted great. Then one day he invited some distant relatives over and was gonna make his special burgers for them, but he let his idiot cousin make them, and said idiot cousin put in too much garlic powder and the food came out practically inedible. No matter how much it was explained to dude's relatives that the powder wasn't the problem it was his cousin just cocking it up, from then on they were afraid to try anything that had garlic powder in it.

As fans, we want people to like the same things we like, and an untrue adaptation can create schizms. Call us selfish or petty if you must, but I'd rather fandoms be big and united rather than small and divided.
  • edited 2011-09-16 18:18:21

K-ON! is god-tier.  Lucky Star is only alright.  Ergo, Dantes opinions are objectively wrong.

Also, Ano Hana was good because it was a ripoff of the Fuuko arc of Clannad, since that was the only part of Clannad that was worth watching.  (actually, this isn't completely correct.  The Tomoyo special episode was good too)