If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"English is better than all them weird foreign languages!/Why are other languages so hard!?"

edited 2011-06-19 11:05:40 in General
[tɕagɛn]
Yeah yeah, we know. English doesn't possess gender, conjugation, or a case marking system (which it used to). Now, please stop being a stuck-up ass about things. Other languages are not that hard. I really wish English had kept all the stuff I just mentioned (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_English_grammar and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_English_declension), then people wouldn't be QQ-ing over things every other language has. This may just have been the people I've been around, though. My dad hates foriegn languages (except for French and Italian), and goes on and on about how English is superior to every other European language out there.

Comments

• Actually, my dad learned english as his second language, as well as a friend (both having different original languages)  and both said english was one of the easiest to learn languages out there.
  • Weird, I heard it was one of the hardest to learn.
  • The spelling is out of whack, but basic speaking is fairly easy.
  • edited 2011-06-19 11:09:58

Ethnocentrism. From what I hear, English is actually one of the harder languages to learn.

Or listen to AHR.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    @AHR: How fluent is your dad? I hear English is easy enough to learn but insanely hard to be fluent in because of all the nonsensical rules, and the exceptions to those rules, and the exceptions to those exceptions.
  • edited 2011-06-19 11:14:06
    [tɕagɛn]
    I really want to see a place that lists these spelling rules.

Also, maybe this is why we should promote Anglish.
  • AHRAHR
    edited 2011-06-19 11:14:51
    Both him and his friend have lived in the US long enough to have teenagers in college. 

In fact, I didn't even know my dad had an accent until it was pointed out. So they are both extremely fluent, excluding typical foreign silliness.
  • English is my third language.
  • What were your first two? And were they Germanic?
  • ...I most definitely did not know who started this thread before I even clicked on it.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2011-06-19 12:15:02
    English is probably one of the easiest in terms of conjugation and rarely applying gendered pronouns to things that don't actually have gender, but IMO it makes up for it with how fucked up the syntax can get.

That said, as is the case for most languages, foreign speakers are usually more correct about it than native, so hey.

Also every language needs a commonly-accepted Buffyspeak clause like German.
  • You will be assimilated.

Resistance is futile.
  • edited 2011-06-19 12:33:46
    As a petty and vindictive person, I have to take extra steps not to appear petty and vindictive.
    English is very easy to learn for speakers of other European languages compared to, say Indian or Chinese languages. It's certainly a very easy language compared to German or its closest living relative, Frisian.
  • Chagen: Gaelic and Scots where my first two.
  • Likes cheesecake unironically.
    English is better than all them weird foreign languages!

Isn't it a little bit hypocritical of you to complain about people claiming that?
  • Glaives are better.

The purpose of language is to facilitate communication. Therefore, the simplest language is the best language.

• edited 2011-06-19 12:33:37
    As a petty and vindictive person, I have to take extra steps not to appear petty and vindictive.
    But communication isn't easier in simpler languages than in complex languages, for speakers of those languages. If anything, complex languages are more concise; consider Latin, where the three word phrase 'Non ducor, duco' translates to four words in Portuguese, and six in English.
  • Bon has a point. Latin is wonderfully concise.
  • $80+ per session
    English is my second language. It was very easy to learn.
  • Wasn't German your first?

Of course it would easy, both English and German are Germanic.
  • English is already the international standard for the sciences and aviation. It is currently the most widespread language in the world.

It is frankly, the easiest language to adopt as our world language.

Thank Great Britain.
  • Simple doesn't always translate to more effective communication. A grunt is simple but communicates little.
  • You can change. You can.
    English was easy to learn, in my opinion. /Greatest contribution to this thread.
  • edited 2011-06-19 14:27:07
    a little muffled
    Chagen, if you hadn't made this thread, I'd seriously assume the OP was complaining about you.

Just saying, it seems a little bit unreasonable to call people stupid for agreeing with the views you were expressing only a couple months ago...
    People can change. Personally, I approve of this development.
  • To those who knew a romance language before learning English: what was the transition from gendered to non-gendered language like?
    Hell. But you get used to it.
  • edited 2011-06-19 14:43:11
    a little muffled
    @Juan_Carlos:
    People can change. Personally, I approve of this development.
    Oh, I do too. Changing one's mind on an issue is fine; it just doesn't quite seem fair to declare that all the people you agreed with so recently are stuck-up asses.
  • ^^ Really? I figured it'd just be one less thing to keep track of.
  • I'm half-expecting Chagen to someday become an atheist and rail against Christians using the exact same language he uses against secularity.