If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The letters "Þ" and "þ".

Comments

• Who knows.

Had English been more resistant to influence by Latin and French, we would be typing Anglish right now.
  • As a petty and vindictive person, I have to take extra steps not to appear petty and vindictive.
    Æ isn't originally a proper letter but a ligature, a typographic mark made up of two letters joined together. ff, ft, and fi, for example, are ligatures in many if not most modern typefaces. Æ got co-opted to have a distinct sound by Mediaeval Nordic peoples, but it's not part of a 'nordic alphabet' (Runic) but rather an adaption from the Carolingian minuscule and Latin majuscule used at the time. 
  • «I wonder why English got rid of them.»
    Wasn't it because England imported typesetting machines from the Netherlands or thereabouts and none of them had thorn?
  • edited 2011-06-18 02:02:38
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Good luck trying to spell many words without a W, though.

Which is to say, W, J and V are not included in Byrthfero's listed alphabet.
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    æ still comes up sometimes in England, so it isn't as dead as you suggest.
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
  • edited 2011-06-18 13:40:33
    Has friends besides tanks now
    While I agree that æ is cool, our alphabet doesn't need more letters that look like "p" and "b". Handwriting is hellish enough for some people already; do you really want to do that to them?
  • It looks nothing like those two to me.

And really, I know the vast majority of humanity is stupid sheep, but they cannot be that stupid.
  • edited 2011-06-18 13:58:18
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    It looks nothing like those two to me.

Really?  They look pretty similar to me.

And really, I know the vast majority of humanity is stupid sheep, but they cannot be that stupid.

• edited 2011-06-18 14:02:40
    Has friends besides tanks now
    "It looks nothing like those two to me."

In typeface, maybe. But it could be really hard to differentiate the two in handwriting.

"And really, I know the vast majority of humanity is stupid sheep, but they cannot be that stupid."

And stuff like this is why I told myself I would stop trying to debate with you.
  • edited 2011-06-18 14:00:59
    It looks nothing like those two to me.

In most fonts, þ looks literally exactly the same as b, except it also has a descender like p.  Alternatively, it looks exactly like p but with an ascender like b.
  • It's descender is too little to be a p, but yeah, it looks like a b.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭

• I'm pretty sure most of you would agree that we are the enlightened few, who are vastly more intelligent than the vast majority of humanity.

One look through popular culture/youtube comments will prove this.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
  • I think he was joking that time.
  • edited 2011-06-18 14:26:24
    [tɕagɛn]
    This is amazing.

I compliment you guys, and I'm the bad guy. What the fuck.

^I'm serious.
  • I'd really love to know just why complimenting you all is dumb.

Because that makes no fucking sense whatsoever
  • Noim: Have you EVER seen the news? The popular media? It makes me sick just to think about it. How this sexist, racist, filled with double standards society that panders to the lowest common denominator has supported itself, I have no clue.
  • edited 2011-06-18 14:42:44
    ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    edit: OH FUCK THAT

I ain't giving any fucking vultures the opportunity.
  • I'd really love to know just why complimenting you all is dumb.
    Because you're doing it at the expense of most of the world? It feels less like a compliment and more like an insult.

Noim: Have you EVER seen the news? The popular media? It makes me sick just to think about it. How this sexist, racist, filled with double standards society that panders to the lowest common denominator has supported itself, I have no clue.
    That is both very america-centric and a wild, media fueled exaggeration. Unless you interact personally with the people you claim are "sheep", you can't really make such statements.

I ain't giving this fucking vulture the opportunity.
    Quit that.
  • $80+ per session
    The news does a very good job at showing negative stuff.
  • Positive news doesn't sell as well as negative news so it doesn't get put on the news.

I wonder if I could make a «Positive News» site.
  • $80+ per session
    You should! I would help with such a project.
    Or a þositive News site
  • ^ -high fives-
  • A "Thositive" news site?

/completelymissingthepoint