If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The letters "Þ" and "þ".

edited 2011-06-17 23:43:27 in General
[tɕagɛn]
I wonder why English got rid of them. They serve a nice purpose and they look kinda cool in my opinion.

Man, English lost all of its cool letters. Old English had a pretty bitchin' alphabet.

Comments

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Man, English lost all of its cool letters

X stands to disagree with you.

And K.  And Z.

Those are some Xtremely Kool Letterz. 
  • edited 2011-06-17 23:46:34
    [tɕagɛn]
    English doesn't have "æ/Æ" anymore.

Your argument is invalid.

And I'm pretty sure those letters are Latin. "æ/Æ" are actual Germanic letters.
  • $80+ per session
    You only think they look cool because they aren't common to your language.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    ^
  • I'm kinda glad we don't have them.  We really don't need any more letters that look like the letter b.  I mean, we have four already, which is entirely too many.
  • Technically, they are part of my language.

There's nothing preventing me from spelling this sentence as this: , "Þere's noÞing preventing me from spelling Þis sentence as Þis". It's perfectly spelled, technically.
  • edited 2011-06-17 23:50:35
    Except no.
  • What is the point of æ anyway?

a and e next to each other serve the same purpose, doesn't it?
  • Except yes. Because it's still technically a letter, and "Þ" stands for "th-" as we see in "the"/"this"/"that"/etc.
  • $80+ per session
    No, it isn't perfectly spelled.
  • "What is the point of æ anyway?"

Because it looks really, REALLY, AWESOME.

Really, Rule of Cool, man.
  • So is that letter used for both the "thick" th and the "this" th? If so, I'd rather have a separate symbol for both.
    Because it looks really, REALLY, AWESOME.

• edited 2011-06-17 23:53:40
    [tɕagɛn]
    "No, it isn't perfectly spelled."

Except it is. Last I checked, Thorn was never taken out of the English Alphabet. It simply isn't used anymore.

"So is that letter used for both the "thick" th and the "this" th? If so, I'd rather have a separate symbol for both."

Yes, it's used for both.
  • Except your "there's no wrong way to eat a Reese's use a language" thing is bullshit.  If you're deliberately communicating in a way that makes your sentences unintelligible to whoever's reading them, then it's your fault for using the language incorrectly, not theirs for not knowing how to pronounce letters that haven't been used in centuries.
  • Woki mit deim Popo.
  • edited 2011-06-17 23:57:27
    [tɕagɛn]
    DYRE: Actually, it's more their fault for not knowing the heritage and history of their own native language. Which is sad.

Heritage is mildly big thing to me, considering that I'm a Nationalist. I really should look it up more, though >_>
    Actually, it's more their fault for not knowing the heritage and history of the language.

I don't think language works that way.
  • To a person interested in languages, like me, it is.

I really wanna try a "Neo Old-English" thing one day...
  • edited 2011-06-17 23:59:19
    ^^^^^That's not really what he's saying, though. All he said is that there are no spelling errors, which would be true if his initial premise (that letter is still technically part of the alphabet) is correct. It's not something anyone would use because people like it when others understand what they're saying, but it's not wrong per se.
  • Noim said it. I don't use it because it is not part of Modern English's alphabet. But it's still part of the English alphabet in a whole.
  • That being said, this is still a pretty dumb argument to be having.
  • $80+ per session
    Is it my fault for not knowing what the hell my sister is talking about when she goes on about musicians from the 1930s-40s?
  • edited 2011-06-18 00:02:11
    ^^ Well... can't disagree with you there... >.>
  • edited 2011-06-18 00:03:37
    [tɕagɛn]
    As a side note, I find the Anglish movement to be fascinating. Me looking up Thorn today led me to it, though I've heard of it before.
  • That seems pretty silly, honestly.  That said, I guess it could potentially be of some benefit for people trying to learn the language, since it would likely result in a simpler, more consistent language overall.  But otherwise I'm not sure there'd be any real point unless you really hate Latin or Greek for some reason.
  • Yeah, sadly enough, I think more than a few of its proponents are just Germanic Racial Nationalists trying to prove that Germanic people are racially superior to other kinds of races.
  • edited 2011-06-18 00:15:24
    Tableflipper
    Of course they are. Why the fuck would you make your language needlessly complicated with difficult to write hieroglyphs? Along with like fifty billion words that sound the same, which encourages too many bad puns.

Aside from them looking awesome and Asians being fine with em for a few hundred or thousand years.
  • edited 2011-06-18 00:19:17
    While reading Anglish, I'm torn between giggling at it for its sillyness and genuinely enjoying what it does to the writing.