If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Parody FPSes

edited 2011-06-13 01:43:50 in General
We've had 2 this year, Bulletstorm and Duke Nukem Forever. And they're both a bit hypocritical.

Bulletstorm: "BLOODY SCREEN! SO REAL", it exclaims in its Call of Duty parody. But when you get shot, your screen gets covered in strawberry jam just like it does in Call of Duty.

Duke Nukem mocks the power armor from Halo and contains a level that parodies The Library. But the game has regenerating health and a 2 weapon limit, the two most famous features of Halo. It features physics puzzles (including one part where you must operate a crane)  ripped from Half-Life 2, but Duke says "I hate valve puzzles!"

This isn't self-depreciation. If it was that, they would target themselves and not other games.

Maybe games should take the tongue in cheek route like Conduit 2 and Just Cause 2, because they obviously can't pull off straight-up parodies.

Comments

• >But the game has regenerating health and a 2 weapon limit.

You're kidding.

• Two weapons? Weak Duke, weak. That was one of the aspects of the FPS you were supposed to keep.
  • edited 2011-06-13 01:45:43
    Nope.

Gearbox said they tried several times, but couldn't find a configuration that would work on consoles.

Note that The Orange Box pulled it off just fine by not requiring a separate grenade button.
  • It's Duke Nukem Forever. Face it. With a decade plus wait for this game, NOTHING was going to live up to anyone's insane expectations after this. Especially since 3D realms barely had anything once they handed over the title.

Theire only shot at making a good title was parodying the bland repitity of the FPS genre.
  • edited 2011-06-13 00:10:38
    They couldn't find a way of having more than 2 weapons that works on consoles?

What about... any of the ways that the many console FPSes that did it did it...?
  • edited 2011-06-13 00:11:38

Excuse me for a moment while I cry into my wall and tear holes in it with a kitchen knife.

^^ There's a difference between "insane expectations" and "not putting a two weapon limit in there like an idiot".

• You can change. You can.
    Fuck consoles.

Now, now, evilneko, you don't have to tell us what you do in your free time.
  • edited 2011-06-13 01:45:24

thatsracist.gif

• As a petty and vindictive person, I have to take extra steps not to appear petty and vindictive.
    I have to concur... if not being able to figure out a way of scrolling between more than two weapons on a console game is what's causing this idiocy, then fuck consoles with all the dicks.

Anyway, DNF's humour really falls flat a lot of the time. Making light of other shooters is pretty hypocritical in a game that, before you're halfway through it, has featured scripted Valve-esque quasi-cutscenes, a vehicle section, a destructible environment puzzle, a shooting gallery section 'on rails,' gratuitous sniper rifles lying around wide open spaces, a turret section, gratuitous ammo boxes near bosses, and a fucking see-saw puzzle.

It also annoys me that the RPG in DNF is essentially a burden to carry, because of its limited ammo. At least Bulletstorm was generally more honest about trying to stand on the merits of its core mechanics (And succeeding.)
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I have to concur... if not being able to figure out a way of scrolling between more than two weapons on a console game is what's causing this idiocy, then fuck consoles with all the dicks.

Metal Gear Solid exists. It's just that people are too lazy to change what works. And people enjoy their CoD bullshit, so

STFU, Doom 3 was the best thing ever.
    Doom 3 was pretty bad, actually. But eh, I've seen so many bad Doom mods that it being a "mockery of the Doom franchise" is just a bit of an OTT comment.

It is pretty meh, though.
  • edited 2011-06-13 02:05:05
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I liked Doom 3.  ._.
  • edited 2011-06-13 02:07:34
    I haven't played any Doom games other than the first...

@Forzare: Is not a bad game. It's just not good, IMO. 

• edited 2011-06-13 02:18:05
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Is not a bad game
    Doom 3 was pretty bad
    MAKE UP YOUR MIND

Joking aside, it's nowhere near as good as Doom/Doom 2, but I still enjoyed it for what it was.  Maybe because I hadn't played the originals yet when I first got Doom 3, so I didn't have expectations.
  • edited 2011-06-13 02:23:54
    You can change. You can.
    IMO it was bad. But I can see why someone would like it. -shrug-

Same goes to, say, Halo. It is a pretty well done, designed game. But it's not my thing.
  • Why not use the D-Pad to scroll weapons?

Any way, I stand by my statement that Duke Nukem Forever should NEVER have had that title, too much baggage. Shoulda called it Duke Nukem Returns, or Duke Nuken Strikes Back or the Revenge of Duke Nukem, Something cheesy like that.
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    ^^ You can't use the d-pad because people are stupid.
  • Silence is golden.

"Gearbox said they tried several times, but couldn't find a configuration that would work on consoles.

"

Turok 3's "tap to select the previous/next weapon, hold to open ring menu" method worked beautifully. Gearbox is just stupid.

Also, I liked Doom 3 : (.

• They're somethin' else.
    Same thing with Golden eye. FUCKING SCROLL THROUGH YOUR WEAPONS, PEOPLE >:/