If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Defining swords and how subtle differences can be.

2»

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Oh no. It is the sharp-bladed equivalent of a mace, only without the blunt trauma. I am so scared.
  • Your sarcasm probably stems from not actually being near someone wielding one with an intent to execute you.
  • YO YO YO U CAN'T C ME BOUT TO SPIT SUMTIN' STOOPID!
    Well I mean whether or not you've got a sharp, teethed, or hooked blade is relevant, other than that I dunno.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    > Your sarcasm probably stems from not actually being near someone wielding one with an intent to execute you.

Speaking from experience?
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    There are a lot of cool, exotic weapons in the world.

Almost none of them are as practical as a spear, sword or axe.
  • Oh lord the historical and academic classifications of weapons especially swords is a real minefield of a subject.  No one to date has tried to set down a universal guide of weapon type based on use, size, and structure of the weapon.  Even in the various eras when the blades were made compared to later eras would name the weapons differently. 

Then there are things like naming conventions of said swords and what they mean as to what type of blade it is.  Gladius is an excellent example. 
    Well, there is the Oakeshott graph. It's not universally-used, but it's probably the best and most complete document out there concerning the naming of swords.
  • As a petty and vindictive person, I have to take extra steps not to appear petty and vindictive.
    Well, the simple usage is just to refer to historic weapons by  their original names. Ultimately though any coherent classification of melee weapons would produce 'aberrations' that contrast with common or historical usage.
  • Almost none of them are as practical as a spear, sword or axe. 

Out of context this sounds hilarious...
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    ^ I don't get the joke.
  • I don't get the joke either... but I agree with the original statement.  That said, something is to be said for the effectiveness of Halberds in certain circumstances.
    If by "certain circumstances" you mean "almost all the time, no matter what", then I agree.

It can be used as an axe or as a spear, and at a significant distance, too. Not to mention its anti-cavalry applications.

If I was on a Medieval or Renaissance battlefield, I would want some kind of polearm as well as a sword, for sure.
  • I dunno. How effective is a halberd for mountain-climbing?  Or as a float when you're drowning in the middle of the ocean?
  • edited 2011-06-13 14:43:10
    Tableflipper
    I don't get the joke.

Imagine someone trying to throw a javelin at someone who has a satellite laser that doesn't miss from THE FUTURE in space while the spear guy is on a planet.

Actually that probably isn't too hard to consider practical if I think about some video games...
  • Mine is the spear that will pierce the heavens.