If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

How we are not allowed to complain about anything, ever.

edited 2011-02-05 23:51:49 in General
Morgan Freeman is God
TVTropes has been getting rid of anything that even remotely threatens the artificially-created atmosphere of "niceness" that Fast Eddie has been working so hard to create.

I'm going to lead a campaign to bring back the parts of the site that allowed us to just vent our frustrations, such as the IJBM forum. Who's with me?

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Bad idea.
  • edited 2011-02-05 23:53:43
    Loser
    Well, there are still the JustBugsMe namespaces for works, but I can see your point.

I do not think that there is much that really can be done at this point though and I do not think we should "raid" a site or whatever kids are calling it these days.
  • You know this place exists. It's not hosted there, but most everyone on here is from there.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Explain how your campaign is supposed to work, please.
  • Morgan Freeman is God
    I dunno, get a bunch of tropers to send PMs to admins or something. If we make our dissent clear somehow, we might have a chance.
    A chance of not getting banned or a chance of changing something?
  • Explain how this is a good idea.

Like, at all.
  • I like not being banned, so I don't think I'll be joining you...
  • Eh, Glenn...could you lock this thread before we run afoul of the "importing drama" rule over at TVT?
  • edited 2011-02-06 00:01:12
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    And besides, complaining is still allowed. Making threads asking people to complain is what isn't.

^Good call.
  • Morgan Freeman is God
    Bah, even if I am banned, I'll just change my IP address and choose a new username.

Nobody has any right to prevent me from seeing my favorite site.

The site owner most certainly does have that right.
  • Can we keep this thread open for inevitable future hilarity

The writing is on the wall
    ^No, let's not.
  • inb4 "bawh, was google banned again"
  • edited 2011-02-06 00:13:25
    Cue-bey
    inafter that already happened to me

• edited 2011-02-06 00:07:24
    Morgan Freeman is God
    "The site owner most certainly does have that right."

Not unless visiting a site implies some sort of contract, it doesn't. Besides, it's still a dick move, and if, in the unlikely event that I ever get banned, I can't access the site from my home, I'll simply access it elsewhere.
  • The site is a business. A business has the right to refuse service to a customer based on behavior. 
  • edited 2011-02-06 00:09:50
    Cue-bey
    "unlikely event"

It was nice knowing, you dude.

But seriously, I'd prefer it if FE would never have to deal with this shit again so I can cling to my hopes that one day I can ask him to come back.

• edited 2011-02-06 00:08:41
    He's not required to let you see it in any way. Why would he be?

Seriously, don't do this. You will get banned and I will not be sympathetic in the slightest.
  • Yeah.  The server is his private property.  He decides who can access it, not you.
  • Something tells me nothing we say will convince him otherwise.
  • edited 2011-02-06 00:12:41
    To be honest, I'm very tempted to go ahead and PM Fast Eddie with a link here to save the forum another shitfest and to make sure the rest of us don't run afoul of the "Importing Drama" rule.

• edited 2011-02-06 00:12:50
    ^^ Yeah but I just want to be all like "we told you so..."
    I suppose I should add that I won't, but I'm quite tempted.
  • Morgan Freeman is God
    Why is everyone assuming I'll get banned? Since when is simply voicing dissent a bannable offense?
    This sounds less like "simply voicing dissent" and more like "trying to start shit."
  • Also because the rules are completely arbitrary and can be enforced even if they don't actually exist yet.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    > I dunno, get a bunch of tropers to send PMs to admins or something. If
    we make our dissent clear somehow, we might have a chance.

Unlikely, within at least the next several months or so.  Many of the forum's moderators were already opposed to this no-complaining rule.  The fact that Fast Eddie implemented it over their objections likely means that he prefers it that way.

That said, I will issue a stern warning to everyone here:

Don't encourage or instigate others to use the TV Tropes forums as a battleground.
      We are already on shaky ground to have our forum allowed to be linked to from our predecessor forum.

I'll let this thread stand for now, since it's just complaining about the illegality of complaining.  But if this becomes some sort of raid-organizing thread, this thread WILL be zapped.  Got it?

Good.