If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

How we are not allowed to complain about anything, ever.

Comments

• @Thread: Yeah, because internet petitions have worked so well in the past!
  • ^ It got The Pirate Bay to come back after a lawsuit.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Okay, consider this.  One page of 100 kB worth of stuff versus 10 pages of 10 kB worth of stuff each.

If you had 1000 visitors, each wanting to read a single particular part of the stuff, then they can either all load 100 kB ( = 100,000 kB of bandwidth) or they can each load 10 kB worth of stuff, after loading an index of some sort ( = 10,000 kB of bandwidth, plus the a probably smaller index page, which is far less than 100,000 kB).

People who want to see the entire thread don't make much difference, but not everyone does, and for everyone who doesn't you save on bandwidth by breaking stuff up into more manageable chunks.
  • ^This.

We have the same problem over at D&D Wiki. 100kB pages not only eat a lot of bandwidth, they also cause peoblems when your users have slow modems - the server is constantly in the process of downloading the page to multiple users.
  • I'm learning stuff on IJBM! Take that, haters!
  • D&D Wiki?

Does it have fanart?
  • Tnophelia wrote: "D&D Wiki? Does it have fanart?"

http://www.dandwiki.com

Yes it does. Limited, but yes.
  • http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm

This is a really good reference for D&D.

• edited 2011-02-07 17:57:20
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^Contains pretty much everything but character creation rules. It's come in handy so many times during the Jammies Thread D&D game.
  • Well of the books under open game licence (OGL). So its missing many. I notice it doesn't have Pathfinder either. I have yet to play Pathfinder but I have plans to in the future.

• edited 2011-02-07 18:03:29
    Well, it's just the core rules. The OGL is meant for stuff that builds on the SRD.

Pathfinder's good. Paizo is awesome.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    The publishers who make Pathfinder stuff. They're really good writers, especially for people who do RPG sourcebooks.
    FYI for anyone confused:

Pathfinder is a D&D 3.5 variant, sometimes referred to as "D&D 3.75", published by Paizo.  The system still uses d20s but contains significant changes from 3.5, which its fans (not surprisingly) generally regard as improvements.

From what I know, Pathfinder's game source is fully open.  As in, the game system rules are perfectly free and legally downloadable.  (Please correct me if I am wrong.)  They do publish nice thick printed versions, though, if you are interested in them.  Their business strategy, though, last I heard, involved not splatbooks but rather tons of adventure books.
  • edited 2011-02-07 18:43:08
    ^You're only partially right on that. I think you might be thinking of the Beta. There's a lot of product identity in the core rules for it, and while it's legal to release most of it if you format it differently, there's stuff you can't. If they're giving the rulebook out for free, I'm not aware of it.

And yeah, their adventures are awesome. One got up to $150 on eBay when it went out of print for just a month.
    "There's stuff you can't."

Such as what content?
  • edited 2011-02-07 18:48:30
    I think stuff like weapons that weren't in the original and are tied into the default setting are forbidden. So are gods. And the OGL specifically forbids using someone else's character creation rules.
    I'd just get the PDF if you want to try it. $10 is dirt cheap for a corebook.

Also, because Paizo is the nicest company I've ever interacted with, and they deserve the $10.
  • I like physical books. But that may be because they are formatted for dead tree distribution, not computer monitor (so they are portrait instead of landscape, and you can't flip through them to find something, you can do pagedown, or have to type a page number).
    You can flip through them to find something, sort of. Just hit ctrl+f.

I too prefer physical books except if I'm unsure if I want to play a system.
  • Well it doesn't work for my 3.5 pdfs; but they aren't official ones. They aren't printing them anymore so its harder to buy them. Also the munchkin looks at all the books. Except spells, he doesn't play a spell caster because he would feel the need to read all the spells to optimize his character.

WOTC doesn't do PDFs, unfortunately. They used to do so for out-of-print products, but then they found out about piracy and apparently decided it made more sense to prevent themselves from making any money on out-of-print products than to allow people to...wait, no, they were already out there. Not sure what they were trying to prevent. Wizards does not understand computers at all.
  • I have my dad's old books if I want to try AD&D. That is stupid about the pdfs. Do you think they forgot about people using the same book?
  • edited 2011-02-07 21:26:49
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    No, it seems like the "logical" first-glance solution.  That's why they used it.

It's not that they don't understand computers; they just don't understand digital business.

Re meatspace books: I prefer them too.  Much easier than Ctrl+F.

Now, why we can't just have tall rather than wide screens I don't know.
    But...but...they were making money from them...and now they aren't...
    That's why logical is in quotation marks.

"You're abusing your PDFs?  YOU GET NO PDFs."
  • what's a splatbook?
    An expansion pack in book form.  New character classes, items, spells, powers, creatures, etc..