If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Women Deserve To Get Raped Because Of The Way They Dress

2»

Comments

• As soon as I saw this topic I knew two things. Chagen would make it about himself, and he'd bring up "feminists".
  • They're somethin' else.
    It's always nice to prepare. But a surprise is just that, preparation be damned.

Rerail: I hate this too. Rape never has an excuse or justification.
  • I kind of don't want to bring up that George Carlin joke now.
  • edited 2011-05-25 11:34:55
    Has friends besides tanks now
    "Everest, please drag me out of this topic before I go nuts on Chagen."

Sorry I'm late. I'm not always in a class that allows laptops at the right time.

And at this point I'm too late to say anything that hasn't already been said that I agree with. And I'm not going to waste time arguing with Chuggles. I know better than that now.

• Unfortunately, most of the 6 billion people out
    there prefer not to spend fifteen minutes preparing to go outside on the
    off-chance they'll be raped.

Lots of people do inconvenient things for the sake of safety.
  • But you never had any to begin with.
    Perhaps. But you can't actively expect them to.
  • I'm of the "ounce of prevention prevents a pound of cure" types.

If there was a possibility of me getting raped--since, you know, men can get raped too--, I'd probably try to prevent it as much as possible from happening at all. Obviously, one can't prevent anything, but I'd have fifty billion contigency plans anyway...
    And how do you judge if there is a possibility? It's not a factor that most people think about.
  • You can change. You can.
    Chagen, I'm sorry, but nobody is talking (and honestly, cares) about what you'd do in such a situation. Again, you can't expect people to act like you.
  • Sai: Extreme paranioa. I always assume that there is a possibility.

Juan: Well, given how half the thread mobilized against me for daring to express an opinion, I might as well explain my position.
  • Chagen, do you know that most women get raped by people they know, not from walking outside on their own?
  • You can change. You can.
    Well, given how half the thread mobilized against me for daring to express an opinion showing the sensibility of a damn rock, I might as well explain my position.

There. FTFY
  • You're not Batman, Chagen.
  • Trash: Yes. I do.

I'm not sure how to stop that, though. It is a sad fact...my title say so.
    Then why do you expect them to be prepared, if you are aware of the fact?
  • Because I kept going off the media stereotype of a woman getting attacked outside her own house by a stranger. Which is what media always makes you think is the most common kind.
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    Chagen, if you know that the media stereotype doesn't correspond with reality, why are you still using it?
  • Because I naturally thought of that first anyway.

I don't think about rape very much. I don't like using it in stories nor do I fetishize it. It's....not something I want to think about thay often.
    Maybe you should think longer before you type then. Considering what you are about to say goes a long long way.
  • Considering it the responsibility of the woman to prevent their rape is shifting the blame to the victim. Besides, stranger rape is much more rare than rape by someone you're familiar with.

That said, discussing prevention shouldn't be automatically taboo, but only through the frame of useful skills that will help you against crime in general, not just rape specifically: self-defense, having your cell with you at all times, walking around areas with a bad rep at night only in groups, etc.
  • -ignoring the stupid derail-

"People still make this argument, specifically? I mean, I know the implications are embedded in society's head (they'll start off a rape scenario with this situation, not realizing it's inaccurate) but do people specifically make this argument outside of...well...crazy-ish people?"

Unfortunately, even if certain people are not still  actually making this argument, it's so ingrained in society that one doesn't need to make this argument to believe it. It's even worse that so many women believe this as well, such as rape victims being afraid to come forward about being because they think they'll get blamed for it, or older women telling young rape victims that they deserved it for leading a man on. It's one of the more idiotic aspects of our society that needs to be done away with.