If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Students not knowing where countries are.

edited 2011-05-23 10:15:13 in General
[tɕagɛn]
I'm amazed at the American youth. People in my geography class have legitimately asked where Russia or Great Britian is. What the fuck?! Do these people's parents think that America is the only country in the world? Americentrism is aggravating beyond belief. No wonder you Euros make fun of us. There are people in the US who don't know what their state oc the US looks like. My god. Welcome to America--land of retards, xenophobic nationalists, Nazis, racists, religious madmen, and ignorant masses!

Comments

• You can change. You can.
    I'm amazed at the American youth

WISR.
  • What the hell does that mean?

I admit I fall to this sometimes, but very rarely.
    Where I stopped reading.
  • Why?
    Because generalizations. 
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    Us 'Euros' also make fun of you for your poor welfare, silly accents and for putting squeezy 'cheese' in a can.
    :D
  • Ian: At least you have intelligent citizens.
    -sigh-

Chagen, just because people around you are idiots doesn't mean that your whole damn country is idiotic. I've met Europeans who didn't know where Colombia was...when they moved to Colombia.

Stop sucking Europe's cock already. It's sickening. Besides,Europe is incredibly old, ferchrissakes, it won't get an erected cock...not even for you.
    Well America does have intelligent citizens too.
    As Europe has idiots.
    /fairness

I do feel that more a country (especially a large one such as america) has the super patriotism they may be less inclined to care about the rest of the world. Also it doesn't help that by all accounts your education system is pretty shoddy.
  • Likes cheesecake unironically.
    That reminds me what my English teacher in school told us once. She was in America because... some reason, I forgot, and a student asked her if she came by car. From Germany to the USA.

Yeah...
    Ok, that was pretty stupid...

But did the student know that she was from Germany? /Juan is trying to save the rep of a country he doesn't even belong to.
    ^ Best way to save rep is to mention you get idiots everywhere.
  • I don't think the U.S. education system is that bad. I mean, sure the public education system has more problems than it should, but we do have some of the best universities, and that has to count for something.
    I pointed it out because it's supposed to be rather silly, not because I actually believe that's what I'm doing.

But yeah, basically, there are idiots everywhere. o complain about idiots being in your country as if it was unique is stupid beyond belief.
    ^^
    Yeah a lot of the top uni's are american, although the best is a UK one. (Cambridge)
  • edited 2011-05-23 10:43:41
    I cannot remember a single thing from high school save for a few scattered facts, and all my notes and stolen textbooks are long gone.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    I am aware that other countries existed but since I payed little attention in any class concerning it I had no idea where they were until I looked at the world maps made on movies and I went "Ah, okay, so Britain and stuff is to the right of america."
    It could also be to the left...>_>
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    I always thought it was to the left, with us way in the right corner but my teacher told me that was wrong and we are to the far right. I don't get what the difference is.
    Well I'd agree America is substantially to the Right of UK/Europe.
    /politics
  • I don't expect people to know everything.  I don't know that it's very important for people in the U.S. to know what the capitol of Bosnia is, but not knowing whether Britain and the U.S. are on the same continent...  yeah, that's pretty stupid.

But as Dilbert said, "in the future, stupid people will rule the world".

• edited 2011-05-23 11:24:21
    Pony Sleuth
    "I am aware that other countries existed but since I payed little attention in any class concerning it I had no idea where they were until I looked at the world maps made on movies and I went "Ah, okay, so Britain and stuff is to the right of america."

Yeah, I think what confuses me about geographical ignorance is that it really ought to have been eliminated to some extent through pop cultural osmosis or just idly looking at a map or globe.

Also, Yotsuba apparently comes from far to the left of Japan.
    I always thought it was to the left, with us way in the right corner but my teacher told me that was wrong and we are to the far right. I don't get what the difference is.

It was nothing but a joke. Technically, as it is a sphere, you can get to America from Europe while following the west route or the east route.

It's just that as things are mapped out from the Prime Meridian system where Greenwhich (And England for that matter) are the center of the world, then you can sort of locate countries in a viable right-to-left position, but it's just used for technical stuff...or at least, it should be, if you ask me.
  • "Yeah, I think what confuses me about geographical ignorance is that it really ought to have been eliminated to some extent through pop cultural osmosis or just idly looking at a map or globe."

This doesn't happen to American people because America is the center of pop culture.

And the only two countries we are next to, we make fun of. Americans grow up thinking the entire fucking world revolves around the US.

The lack of nationalism in Europe is probably due tk the countries being small and very interconnected, and unlike the US, one country isn't bigger and more important than all the others around it (not counting Russia). European countries are more equal.
  • Nah, it's because of football.
  • >Lack of nationalism
    >Europe

Hahaha, no.
    Yeah, there's no such thing as a nationalism free country, fer starters...
  • "People in my geography class have legitimately asked where Russia or Great Britian is. What the fuck?!"

At least they're asking.
  • Likes cheesecake unironically.
    ...Tell me Chagen, why do you adore a continent you know shit about?
    Nyarly...I think you just answered your question...