If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The College Underpaid Me.

edited 2011-05-20 00:22:31 in General
PRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRICKS.

See, I'm 18 years old and in education. As such, I am entitled to £30 a week from the Government.

The money gets paid fortnightly so I was due £60 today. BUT FOR SOME REASON they've only given me £30.

Now, the college has the retarded as fuck policy that if you're absent ONE day, you lose your funding for that week. That's annoying in of itself but I haven't been absent from college in six months!

I needed that fucking money. I -funnily enough- depended on that money. And you know, I had been doing so well lately at work I was going to treat myself today. A hot lunch instead of bringing in sandwiches, I was going to get Secret Agent Clank for PS2 and pick up that Mega Mind DVD that's been eying me up.

Can't fucking do that now.

I mean HONESTLY. They don't do this to the staff, if a member of staff is off for ONE day then they don't lose HALF THEIR FUCKING MONEY.

I despise this college at times. I really do.

Comments

• Oh, shut up, you spoilt twit. What the hell country do you live in that gives you money just for being in school at a certain age?
  • edited 2011-05-20 10:04:37
    I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    ^ Woah, I'm pretty sure this is regarding EMA.

Education Maintenance Allowance, it is paid to the children whose families are below a certain level in income, for someone to get £30 a week they have to be at the lowest stage for the EMA calculations.

So it provides support and incentive for those who are in low income families.

^^
    I feel for you.
  • "See, I'm 18 years old and in education. As such, I am entitled to £30 a week from the Government."

I see nothing here about OP's crippling poverty.

If that's true, though, sorry. Can you contact someone?
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    ^ Well you only got the £30 if you family was on the lowest income they graded it on. So you can infer at least some point of that.
  • I am not at all familiar with Euroland's educational policies.
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    Well in my first post I mentioned the fact that those on £30 a week were at the lowest grading, and you posted afterwards, I assumed you may have read it.

Also it is a UK policy that is being discontinued, only people who get it now are those who were getting it before they said no more applications for it could be made.
  • You mean Euro colleges pay you?!

Good lord. My American mind can't comprehend Euro social policies.
  • edited 2011-05-20 10:35:27
    I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    ^ Really read the currency used, UK.
    Also read the thread so far, you don't get it if you are well off. It is also being discontinued.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    > I am not at all familiar with Euroland's educational policies.

CMTP: It's pounds, not euros.
  • edited 2011-05-20 14:23:30
    I was referring to the continent, not the currency.
    CMTP: The UK isn't attached to the European continent.
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    But it's a British educational policy, as the £ sign indicates.  Europe isn't a country and doesn't have universal educational policies, in spite of what Chagen('s dad) would have you believe.
  • You mean Euro colleges pay you?!

I know, right? I only get bus and book discounts and a free lunch on weekdays.
  • Christ almighty, it was a joke. I would not use "Euroland" in a serious context.

And gmh, you lost me. What continent does the UK belong to if not Europe?
  • edited 2011-05-20 14:35:43
    ^ Although we are part of the EU just not the mainland Europe.

Sorry Sammy, allow me to explain. See in the UK college is free. However, to prevent pressure from poorer people from dropping out of education once they hit sixteen, they are provided with £10, £20 or £30 a week depending on their family income. 

I get the full amount because my family is quite poor. I also have a small part time job, it does pay quite well and it's a lot of help, I use my EMA and my wages to work out a budget and put a little aside for treats (for example, today I was planning on getting a hot lunch, a video game and a DVD). But because I got underpaid I had to use that money I put away for myself to sort out my budget.

The money isn't just a gift, if you're late for classes, do poorly or don't show up (without adequate reason) you get your money taken off you. As it turned out, I had been absent. My artificial eye had been broken and I had to wait on a replacement. 

I got it sorted out though, and got my money in the end.
    @Sammy: CMTP = Completely Missing The Point.  I was being frivolous.
  • edited 2011-05-20 14:39:04
    Whoops, sorry! My grasp of acronyms is almost as sucky as my knowledge of geography >_>

"I got it sorted out though, and got my money in the end."

Oh, good. Thanks for the explanation.
  • Uh....I thought the UK was a part of Europe, not a seperate continent.

At least in American schools, it's considered part of Europe.

"Europe isn't a country and doesn't have universal educational policies, in spite of what Chagen('s dad) would have you believe."

I think my nationality is to blame here. I'm used to the idea of a massive country that has many states inside it, with a set of national laws holding everything together. So sometimes I tend to think of Europe as its own country with its countries being states.
    I can see why you'd think that, but it's not the case.

In the case of the UK, the four constituent countries are closer equivalent to the US' states.

BTW, when The Conductor refers to college being free, he most likely means community funded further education colleges, not university colleges (which is what I think that term usually denotes in the US?).
  • university colleges (which is what I think that term usually denotes in the US?)

Yes. According to the Useful Notes page on US education, a university without a post-grade program is usually called a college.
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Though usually we reserve the term for smaller schools (Boston University vs. Boston College, for example).
    "School" also being synonymous with university and college over there?
    "school" is a general term for any educational institution, here in the US.

By itself it's more likely to refer to grade school (i.e. between or including kindergarten and before post-secondary education).
    I asked because I typically hear it used to mean primary through to sixth form over here, excluding colleges and universities.