If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• Today is my Birthday.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Happy birthday, Stormtroper!
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    HBD, Stormtroper~
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Have fun while it lasts!
  • edited 2024-05-24 15:00:17
    Thanks guys.
    On less fun news, and speaking of life (and by extension, death): Kabosu (better know as Doge) has passed away.
    such sad, very RIP
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    so doge

much remembered
    So @Stormtroper did the folks do the dancing devils stuff where you live, or is it more of a regional thing?
  • Nope, it's more of a regional and rural) thing. I only remember having been to one, or maybe it was something else but similar enough that my child brain interpreted it as such.
    Come to think of it, it doesn't differ by much from my experience with vanilla C. C. processions.

Still, you guys gotta spread it to the U.S. where they turn it into some sort of Summer Halloween with slutty devil costumes... I mean... wait a second...
    I don't know where else to put it, so -

TIL: in 2020, a chemical naturally produced by penguins has been discovered in the atmosphere of Venus.
    I turned almost 30 yesterday!
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Happy birthday!
    Happy almost 30th birthday!
    I was asked to peer-review a paper about the ballistics of moondust on old Apollo recordings. Sure, but all the time I had this uneasy feeling that something's not right there. I read through the previous paper referred to in the introduction, then through the one I was supposed to, and only at the end it was like, so here the behavior of dust particles is explained when we assume atmospheric drag and g = 9.8.

I was like, uh-huh...

#JustAcademiaThings
  • May as well assume moon dust has the properties of fine sand and you can do your paper by having a fun time at the beach.
    Just to be clear, my point was that I prefer not to have my name associated with a paper written to prove the moon dust actually really behaves like the dust in Stanley Kubrick's secret shooting location.
  • edited 2024-07-27 15:27:38
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    I may be away from internet for a few days. It's possible I'll be able to read stuff, but not post.

edit: okay, I guess I'm back.
  • edited 2024-07-28 07:06:33
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    I would post more about toys or LEGO but it involves uploading lots of images to imgur and then setting everything up right which is kind of tedious.

Unrelated; I feel that wearing branded clothing has become nothing but an exercise in showing people you could afford whatever since there are many better things you can get that show off your individual style without being a brand clone (how is it 2024 and I'm still using terms like "brand clone").
    Has it ever been anything but that?
  • edited 2024-07-28 11:53:03
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    Eh, at some point you'd think it was about fashion.

Mainly it's because I saw some stuff on mainstream social media where literally there was no design to xyz, but it was branded, especially stuff with the Gucci lines.

Also by "brand clone" I mean a human being who only buys stuff like this, so like brand zombie works better I guess.
  • IJBM: "Debunkings" of perpetual motion machines that amount to "stuff takes energy". Like this one:

Maybe I'm being ungenerous, but it's not clear to me that the author is not getting it as (literally) backwards as the original.

Related IJBM: "Debunkings" of perpetual motion machines that amount to "nothing is perfect" in the context of a machine that wouldn't be possible even if it actually were perfect. That the laws of thermodynamics, being theoretical concepts, apply to theoretical situations that include thoughts experiments where everything is ideal.

Final IJBM: "Debunkings" of perpetual motion machines that amount to "stuff breaks down".
  • edited 2024-08-09 02:02:28
    Years and years of surfing the internet did not stop me from messing up on cybersecurity.

Yesterday I ran an installer I got from a MediaFire ad (instead of the installer I intended to download), today I got some LinkedIn (which I rarely use) notifications about account access (2FA code) and adding a mail address (successfully). As soon as I noticed I disconnected the compromised PC (fortunately it's not the one I use for usual stuff) and noticed a recent log in from Vietnam. These past few hours I've been looking into how to protect myself from this and from it happening again in the future.
    I've noticed that these "click me" things, on torrent sites at least, have gotten much more clever than they used to be up to and including the file name of the thing you want to download on the popup page for the suspicious .zip or .exe file.
  • Can't say I fell for anything sophisticated, I was just too hasty and distracted.

I was told my LinkedIn account was closed and recreated (I still have access to it).

I don't know what to make of all this, only that all the account security stuff GMH talked about all these years finally came up.
  • edited 2024-08-12 08:44:04
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Nikolai Espolovich Dzhumagaliev (Kazakh: Николай Есполұлы Жұмағалиев, Nıkolaı Jumaǵalıev; Russian: Николай Есполович Джумагалиев; born 15 November 1952) is a Soviet serial killer, also known as Metal Fang, convicted of the murders of ten people in the Kazakh SSR (now Kazakhstan) between 1979 and 1980.

Dzhumagaliev killed and cannibalized at least ten people, targeting mainly women in the Almaty area, and is believed to have killed more until his arrest.[1]
    Other names Metal Fang, Kolya the Maneater, the Almaty Cannibal, Dzhuma, the Satan.
    Anatoly Yuriyovych Onoprienko (Ukrainian: Анатолій Юрійович Онопрієнко; Russian: Анато́лий Ю́рьевич Оноприе́нко, Anatoly Yuryevich Onoprienko; July 25, 1959 – August 27, 2013) was a Soviet and Ukrainian serial killer and mass murderer.[2] Known by the nicknames The Beast of Ukraine, The Terminator, and Citizen O, Onoprienko confessed to killing fifty-two people upon being apprehended in April 1996.[3][4]

Gee, guys, have you, like, tried not making a psycho killer seem so badass.
    Yeah this is a bit much.
    Thought of the week: the best way to protect yourself from sasquatch attacks is to have a camera ready.

Until you realize that being blurry and stuff is their natural form.
  • edited 2024-08-21 07:00:50
    You know how some things that were newfangled sciency things by the early 20th century are not considered to be part of fantasy fiction* despite being natural phenomena? Thinks like radiation or black holes. I wonder if in the future things will move along and more things come to be considered as belonging to fantasy.

* Not counting science fiction, of course.
  • edited 2024-08-22 12:45:18
    Heh, guns have been in Europe before there were knights in full plate armours, but tell that to a stereotypical fantasy fan. (Not "typical", because folks're getting clued in on that.) Malleus Malleficarum (the infamous witch hunting manual) describes a bunch of supposed magical spells to make your gun never miss. So yeah, "newfangled sciency things" don't even have to be newfangled or sciency.

A bit closer to what you say, I've long had these musings about paladins. See, the word originally meant, basically, someone who lives along with the Roman emperor in his palace, and if I get it right it could mean anything from a personal strongman to a government office clerk. Only after the fall of Rome did the meaning stray further and further. So it's kind of like, in far post-post-apo future, there are legends told of "senators" or "lawyers" roaming the post-apo USA to clear the land of evil.

But yeah, you make me think. It's like, at this point, there should be something clearly "sciency" that is old enough for us. Pratchett's been making fun of nuclear physics and quantum theory, but that's just him, also he did it for lulz, not because he seriously wanted it to, like, be a part of fantasy fiction. Perhaps it's not so much a "thing" but more of a mindset? You know, this whole Sandersonian "magic systems" take on fantasy. At its worst, it's basically hard sci-fi dressed up as fantasy, feels like. But from the other direction... I dunno, dinosaurs? They've been propping up in, like, D&D and stuff. I know it's just a big reptile, but it's a sciency big reptile, not a fancy big reptile like a dragon or whatever.

(Also, I gotta go somewhere one day with that radio story I brainstormed over with 14w.)