If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• "In a mad world, only the mad are sane!"-Akira Kurosawa, Ran
    I missed free Apocalyptica and I don't care.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I missed free Apocalyptica and I don't care.

next time, build me a teleporter.
    I will put it in such a place that you're trapped under the map.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    Today I finally gave into my old man urges and bought a 500 piece puzzle of an old Renaissance style house. I thought this was just me being self-deprecating but nope, the back of the box features an old man (and a youngish lady, presumably his granddaughter) working on a puzzle.
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    Maybe you're not the old man, maybe you're the granddaughter.
  • Maybe you're not the granddaughter, maybe you're the puzzle.
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    Maybe you're not the puzzle, maybe you're the house pictured on the puzzle.
  • Maybe the actual physical jigsaw is not the puzzle, maybe it's a diversion and the picture we're talking about is the puzzle.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Maybe you're the question and the puzzlebox is the asker.
    Maybe 500 pieces is way too many and 14w feels like his inner peace has left the building.
    Gjoni's roomie is sending me unsolicited race science papers. Why can't anything be normal anymore?
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    What kind of race? Auto, bicycle, running....?
    Are you referring to Eron (sp?) Gjoni, as in the alleged ex-boyfriend of that one indie game dev who was a subject of controversy in the gamergate flamewar?
    (l)MAOA genes, and yes.
    Wait, how do you even know that guy?
    Tumblr Discourse, a strange intersection of tankies, NRX'ers, accelerationists, rationalists and anarchofeminists.
    Went to a new arcade today, played Street Fighter V, felt way too alive even though I was being really basic and playing Ryu.
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    they have arcades where you live?
  • edited 2017-07-24 17:56:28
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    they have arcades where you live?
    This.

In the coming months I am probably going to end up moving to a place that has a large shopping mall nearby. I will see if they have an arcade. We're talking one of the biggest, most prominent shopping malls in the country.

But I won't bet that they have one.
    It's just the one arcade, and all they have of note that isn't racing games/dance stuff is Street Figher.
  • edited 2017-07-25 07:52:10
    So here's how the sudden spike of interest I had in light novels actually manifested:
    1. talked about it a lot (relatively speaking) on the internet
    2. looked up a bunch of LN books
    3. bought three
    4. still haven't read them
    My interest in books:
    1. Read the first The Selection novel
    2. Quit mid-The Elite because public beatings are not okay
    3. Read entire series
    4. Start reading companion book
    5. Quit because Stockholm Syndrome is not okay
    6. Continue reading companion book
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    My interest in books:
    1998-2011: Read so many freaking books I can't list them all
    2012-present: Get involved in retro video gaming and fan hacks/mods/that kinda stuff, hence reading a lot less, video games will rot your brain and ruin your life. This has been a cautionary tale.
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    update: root beer is good
  • edited 2017-07-26 05:40:09
    My interest in books:
    1998-2011: Read so many freaking books I can't list them all
    2012-present: Get involved in retro video gaming and fan hacks/mods/that kinda stuff, hence reading a lot less, video games will rot your brain and ruin your life. This has been a cautionary tale.
    Case in point: I just wasted over an hour typing this. https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1577090&show=50#msg51668430
  • 2012-present: Get involved in retro video gaming and fan hacks/mods/that kinda stuff, hence reading a lot less, video games will rot your brain and ruin your life. This has been a cautionary tale.

On the other hand, think of all the games you've played instead.
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    Exactly!
    I don't know how it is for other people, but I don't think I enjoy the sheer timesink a book can be. Like, of course I haven't played a (home console) video game in quite a while but I could always put it down when I needed to.

With a book, I will literally wonder what the time is (and not check) as I devour page after page.
  • Sounds like the experience of playing Civilization.
  • That's how it is for me for certain things, including playing some video games (including Civilization), and yeah, unless it's something 'productive' it feels really bad realizing that you wasted your day doing it.