If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

RWBY

Comments

• No rainbow star
    I wish all the episodes could be as long as that

Also, yeah, figures Ruby would become the leader of Team RWBY
  • edited 2013-09-14 04:39:06

So, I finally caught up with this.

The bad:

• Like I initially found, there is absolutely nothing, nothing about the writing, characterization or storyline that doesn't make me think "haven't I seen something like this before?". Makes me wish I can better remember the things I watched when I was a kid.

• The monsters are too animal-looking, considering what they are. Pyrrha said they lack souls or something and aren't really living things. The designs don't convey this at all, considering we just get things like a giant bird, a monstrous scropion, and mutant bear-things. Maybe it's just a technical limitation for the animator(s).

The good:

• Nothing about the show so far is actually stupid. Sure, nothing groundbreaking, but everything's carried out pretty well. I can't really think of any way to actually improve that wouldn't somehow be detrimental.

• The fight in episode 8 was amazing. The fact that it was 8 people and two big monsters, yet it was completely coherent without turning anybody into cannon fodder.

All in all, not bad, but nothing special enough that I could get emotionally invested in this. I would actually prefer something flawed but more unique. Is there anything genuinely unique about this show, from a writing standpoint? (not necessarily in terms of storyline, but maybe characterization or something) Nobody disagreed with me on IRC when I said I couldn't find anything unique or rare.

Also, is it bad that I wish Team JuNiPeR was instead Team JaLaPeNo? I didn't know that "Lie" was the guy's surname, considering Yang's name is written with the given name first.

• Jalapeno isn't a color though.

"Ruby" is, as is "Cardinal".

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I wonder if this has anything to do with the use of color to reveal characters or indicate character importance.

Just watched RWBY 9.

1. I'm surprised Blake is going along with Ruby's shenanigans.

2. The uniforms already look silly.

3. They have SO MUCH space, why in the WORLD would they need to loft their beds.

4. Is it just me or is lofting a bed with books like that a bit dangerous?

5. I think the comedic scenes could use a less serious character model than the default one.  Though yeah, I know this is CGI and it takes forever to make each model.

6. I'm surprised that professor dude didn't notice Ruby's goofing off.

7. I see labs are held in the same room as lecture.  By labs I mean combat training.

So I watched episode 10.

Also, over on IRC, @Nova went and introduced me to Weiss's eye scar.  I totally missed that, haha.

This episode really wasn't anything that we couldn't see coming, of course.  Except possibly the part about Weiss actually winning in class, though that shouldn't have been too much of a surprise considering that she IS at Minasa-Ratis Magic School Beacon and they consider it safe to throw their applicants into a forest full of dangerous creatures with no resource as an admissions test.

• "Glennmagusharvey, this is Weiss' Eye Scar. Weiss' Eye Scar, meet Glennmagusharvey." 

"I'm sure you'll get along."

Also courtesy of someone on IRC: http://images.4chan.org/u/src/1379788835913.png

• don't use 4chan links, those will become dead links in the future.

Ep 11.

Ruby looks a bit weird when she's laughing, but I think that's an artifact of the animation.

Also, I guess ever school has its jerks.  Also, Jaune, stop being in denial.

• edited 2013-09-29 23:48:33
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

And another image, courtesy of @Nova on IRC: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/68589006/RWBY/ruby-magic trick.jpg

Translation:

[23:42:36] [Tweet: “Hey Ruby! Care to show everyone some magic?”
    [23:42:36] Panel 1, Ruby: Magic? I think so.
    [23:42:36] Panel 2, Ruby: Look here! I’ll use this cloak to turn Weiss red.
    [23:42:36] Panel 2, Weiss: What?!
    [23:42:36] Panel 3, Weiss: I’m not gonna play this silly….Hey!!!
    [23:42:37] Panel 4, Weiss: Ruby! I say…
    [23:42:37] Panel 5, Weiss: No…
    [23:42:38] Panel 6, Ruby: It’s red!]

• I said it before, I'll say it again; it's absolutely radical that Chinese folks (including PRC citizens, Hong Kong residents, and Taiwanese) are getting into this stuff. 

Maybe the gap between our respective internets is slowly growing smaller.

• Maybe I'm missing some context, but I don't know what you're talking about. What "stuff" do you refer to?

• edited 2013-09-30 06:57:43

Note that the fancomic thing GMH linked to had text (mainly) in Chinese.

• No rainbow star

Missed Episode 10 and 11

Now caught up

1) Some people complained about Weiss' 180 on Ruby being the leader. From what I've seen of her character, it makes perfect sense. She keeps wanting to impress those in charge, while being spoiled. I honestly see this leading to a breakdown later on, possibly self destructive, possibly destructive to the team. No matter the result, it is going to come at a bad time, all because she can't stand being second fiddle yet also has to impress the people in charge of the school at. All. Costs

2) I hope Juan's bully gets a nasty come uppance

3) BUNNY GIRL! 8D

Ep 12 is available now.

Well, Cardin's actions were...both despicable and predictable, I gotta say.

Y'know, they need to put the entire cast on a train.  Or at least just the main team.  Or at least just Ruby.

• edited 2013-10-16 11:12:38

I caught up with this up to episode 13. I'm not sure if the characterization has become even more unremarkable, or it's just at the same level.

Anwyay, I heard on the Allspark forum that the more recent episodes have become like Harry Potter, with Jaune as Neville. I can see that, like, sort of. Cardin is probably Malfoy with Faunus discrimination standing in for the blood purity thing.

Altso, I wonder if the dynamic with Jaune and Pyrrha is somehow influenced by Kim Possible, considering they're a super capable redhead girl with an incompetent scaredy blonde dude. Or are these colors something commonly paired?

@Icalasari:

> I hope Juan's bully gets a nasty come uppance

> Juan

Ahahahahaaaah

• No rainbow star

Glenn: Why the entire cast?

Because then we'd have RWBY on Rails.

• edited 2013-10-18 00:19:47
    No rainbow star

*Badum TSH!*

• @Icalasari He's making a pun of some kind.

@Naas_H_Sapiens Personally I just wish they wouldn't concentrate so much on Jaune.  He's the least interesting character in the whole story!

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

Even than, generically stoic Li?

• I'd rather a Ren storyline than a Jaune one, at least.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

It would have to include Nora, which is pretty fun.

• I would absolutely love to have a Ren storyline.

Well this Jaune storyline was interesting, I think.

Also opens up an interesting possibility of him having an "iron" ability, which would actually go really well with a magnetism ability.

in the latest episode: racist Weiss is racist

• Being at war for generations will do that. Not acceptable, but understandable.

I bet faunas are like the "close to the planet" sort of species.