If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

RWBY

edited 2013-07-31 19:00:27 in Media
No rainbow star

Comments

• edited 2013-07-31 23:17:42
    (void)

The RWBY tag on tumblr is hilarious because half of it seems to be "OMG Weiss was supposed to be my quiet waifu/self-insert and instead she's such a bitch!"

Also the way they deal with background characters is Brain's Base as fuck* and it's glorious

*Only the combination of Brain's Base and Kunihiko Ikuhara would have the sheer level of panache to use bathroom symbols for all the background characters like Mawaru-Penguindrum did.

• No rainbow star

People are complaining about Weiss not fitting their expectations from a trailer that says virtually nothing about her other than fighting style and the fact that she sings?

Oh wow

• To be honest, I can sort of draw conclusions about Ruby's character from her trailer. And I guess folks either drew the wrong conclusion about Weiss or the creators didn't have anything nailed down at that time.

• edited 2013-08-01 10:25:07
    (void)

I don't remember Ruby doing anything in her trailer but killing wolves.  I guess you could maybe get some from Yang's trailer?

I don't know, I'm mostly here for the fight scenes.  Also the inevitable trainwreck of the fandom.

• Look, Monty Oum is fucking great at coregraphing fight scenes and animated characters, but he is HORRIBLE at anything resembling story or dialog.  I can't get past the terrible writing and voice work, even though the combat was awesome.  The best of the four trailers was the Red one by far, because there was no dialog. 

• edited 2013-08-01 16:35:12
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Well I saw the Red trailer a while back, and I just watched the White and Yellow trailers.

Yeah, the script could use some improvement.

Edit: And Black too.

• Oh, you're right. Ruby didn't do anything but fight werewolves. But it was how she did it. In combat she danced and laughed and grinned, and that is very close to her characterization into the devil-may-care Ruby of the show actual who relished the fight.

And what I thought Weiss would be was serene and quiet, not speaking much but when she spoke folks listened because it was either important or she was angry.

• Well she gets angry.

• No rainbow star

Episode 3 was pretty good, although the modellers need to get the girls to drop their shoulders some. It's... Why so tense?

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

"Yellow" is not a MTG colour. And why on earth would you run four colours, anyway? 

• lol, magic the gathering

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

"Yellow" is not a MTG colour. And why on earth would you run four colours, anyway?

NO U

• edited 2013-08-06 03:51:05

People are complaining about Weiss not fitting their expectations from a trailer that says virtually nothing about her other than fighting style and the fact that she sings?

Well they probably had in mind a character like Reika Aoki from Smile Precure, who is composed, elegant, skillful, and polite.  Like, more stereotypically ladylike combined with Lady Of War properties.

Of course, they thought wrong.

And I ought to watch this sometime because it appears to be a thing.

• Is it just me or does Jaune feel kinda Nice Guy-ish?

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

He would only feel more Nice Guy-ish should he pull an emotional blackmail stunt. I sincerely doubt the show will have enough screentime for that to happen.

• They're somethin' else.

Should I be more impressed by this?

So I just watched the first episode.

The story was interesting.

The animation...well I'll have to get used to some of the animation quirks of CG I guess.  Also watching at 144p because my connection sucks.

• edited 2013-08-19 19:58:55

"They're just weapons." "Just weapons?  They're extensions of ourselves!  They're a part of us!"

Sounds almost completely cribbed from this Extra Credits video, haha:

Also, the use of smooth CG on one hand and exaggerated anime visual gags on the other is a bit jarring.  Or maybe I'm just not used to it.

And by the end of ep 3 I am most curious about that other supposedly nice quirky girl for Jaune to talk to.

Ep 4 was...kinda amusing.  Jaune is still a doofus.  Still not sure what to make of the series.  There are a few awkward things about it that i haven't quite put my finger on.

• I told you a hundred times Seibah, I don't want you in my pool

I wish Jaune was more like the historical joan of arc. Very witty, very emotional and sensitive, and very determined in whatever goals they have.

Jaune just seems like a very sheltered guy.

• edited 2013-08-23 10:28:23

Pretty sure it's just meant to be the French word for yellow.

Nice new episode.

And also speculation of Jaune being self-insert character for some fans.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

I think it's the writer's self-insert.

• I told you a hundred times Seibah, I don't want you in my pool

Consider is name is Jaune Arc, and how much there are references to existing fairytales/mythologies, I'm be surprised if they jsut left it at a name.

Then again they have Beowulfs being werewolves, if we're going by the original story (Beowulf means wolf of the bees, a term for bears since it was believed that if you said the word 'bear', you'd invite it to your house).

Also i think the chances of him being a self-insert for one of the writers, Miles Luna, is pretty good. Considering Miles Luna also voices of him.

• edited 2013-08-23 17:17:38

Oh, Arc's his last name?  Didn't know that.  Pretty much no chance in hell that was accidental.

That said, as you say, the name reference could just mean nothing.  Which I kinda hope is the case because I kinda like Pyrrha but I've heard her name could be interpreted to suggest "Pyrrhic victory".

I had a very strange dream last night.

Unfortunately I don't remember all of it but it involved the four primary main characters (R, W, B, and Y) being trapped in some sort of obstacle course.  The obstacle course was something like a cross between a museum set demonstrating how a residential building works and a TF2 map, and had these weird efficiency challenges such as using cold water from a toilet tank to chill some fruits in an unplugged refrigerator.

At the end it was revealed that there was this witch behind the obstacle course who had a really random way of deciding who would be allowed to escape.  And that the Weiss and the one other character (either Blake or Yang) that I saw "on screen" turned out to be an impostor.

Also, the characters had magical abilities themed to their color, or something.

• edited 2013-08-25 09:00:20

Just watched the first episode, and the impression I get is that it's very ungroundbreaking. Like, so many things just sound oddly familiar in a "I'm pretty sure I've seen a lot of stuff like this even though I can't think of anything specific" kind of way. The protagonist has an adult lecture them about how jumping into a fight was dangerous. Later we get a short bit of her saying she "doesn't want anyone to think she's special" for whatever reason. And the narration at the beginning makes the show sound like it'll be some generic good vs evil thing.

However, none of this is bad in any way whatsoever.

• They're somethin' else.

I consider Monty Ohm something of a genius, considering the guy was mostly self taught.

But the obnoxious quirky/ corky-ness of the show makes me think I'm just not the audience for it. I'm a bit too turned off by the humor and writing.

• No rainbow star

glenn: Your brain is already writing fan fiction of RWBY. The process has begun

Do not fight it

It will only make the conversion to SlashFic writer more painful

Episode 8 is out now.

...so I guess this school has an interesting way of teaching leadership skills: by forcing the most bumbling, loser-y person into the leadership role.

• Well they were pretty effective in the field. Quick-thinking and a steady grip in times of crisis.

Good episode.