If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Is it PvE or PvP?

• To be or not to be? That is the question.

PvE for the missions and dynamic campaigns, PvP for Arcade, Historical, and Full Real Battles.

• Silence is golden.

Heard of/played Birds of Steel? War Thunder is essentially a F2P version of that.

No, I haven't.  Sounds cool though.

In other news, Nygtilger is horribly difficult on Nightmare difficulty.  Then again, probably all the bosses in Ys Origin are horribly difficult on Nightmare difficulty, except possibly Pictimos.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-09-15 01:31:17

Funny.  Nygtilger was the only one I beat the first time on Nightmare.  He's pretty much the same as on Normal (doesn't even have much more health), just hits harder.  And if you control him right, you're not even in that much danger until the very end -- you can keep his poison clouds herded in a small space by making him loop back on himself repeatedly, and you can usually break the rest of his segments during his cartwheel when he's not even chasing you.

For that matter, I think everyone but Toal can even land the last few hits on his head without being in any danger at all.  Hugo can run away like a pussy dropping mines, and Yunica can use the pillar on Bolt Crash to hit him while he's on the wall.

• edited 2013-09-15 12:34:22
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Finally laid my hands on New Vegas. Now I only have to lay my hands on some sort of no-Steam crack. Heh heh. Shit's bothering me, I just want to shove the CD in and play, none of this achievement gaiety.

• On  the subject of New Vegas and achievements, screw the achievement lockout when you bring up the console. I wish I could help finding a no steam version of NV. 

Is it just me or are New Super Mario Bros.'s controls a bit loose?

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-09-16 01:44:14

They are.  It's a side effect of using the core Mario 64 engine in a game with 2D action.

Oh?  Interesting.  I'm surprised they wouldn't have just taken the physics from a game like, oh, say, Super Mario Bros. 1.

Though I don't remember Mario 64 feeling this loose.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-09-16 14:12:20

You didn't notice it as much because you had a forward view, though it does seem like they slowed down the acceleration.  Also wall jumping has changed rather dramatically.

• edited 2013-09-16 16:44:01
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I think it's the slowed acceleration that's getting me.  For example, it seems really hard for me to successfully stop in those one-square-wide pits in the first part of the World 2 castle -- apparently it's possible to duck-slide right past them, amazingly.  In general I just feel that the controls are less responsive to quick adjustments in movement, than what I'm used to.

On the other hand, the game makes up for this by having everything dance to the music.

Also, what.

• AGH, STOCK RPG MAKER ASSETS

In other news, it's time for that jerk Kishgal to kick my ass.  I've learned to deal with him on Easy, Normal, and Hard.  Nightmare...I'll leave that for after I finish these assignments.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-09-16 20:22:34

Are you playing as Yunica?  Because he's a wuss with Hugo, but with Yunica you might want to overlevel a bit.  Seriously, he's that bad on Nightmare.  Also, never Burst before he does on the second half of the fight unless you like having a gigantic iceberg up your ass.

I actually don't think I ever bothered to play on Hard.

I'm playing boss rush so there's no overleveling.  And yes, I'm playing with Yunica.

• AGH, STOCK RPG MAKER ASSETS

> implying that ending 2.wav isn't the best track ever

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-09-16 22:05:18

God.  Kishgal stonewalled me so long on my Nightmare boss rush that I had to leave the game on overnight.  Thankfully Ys Origin is really good about not leaking memory.

He's not quite as bad with Toal at least because he's fast enough to get out of the way of the iceberg and you can fire spin through the dragons.  And with Adol your "strategy" is to just blitz the fuck out of him because your abilities are all shit but you have good stats.

I really need to get a computer that can run that game without lag so I can finish it.  The True Final Boss is borderline unplayable because they use too many effects.

• edited 2013-09-17 03:22:49

So, Agarest: Generations of War is now available for pre-order on the Steam store.

The girl you choose as your wife - and the strength of their relationship with you - will determine the abilities of the main character in the next generation of the story. You'll have to experience multiple play throughs to see all of the character possibilities open to you! What heroes might you create?

...wait what?

...well at least that would explain why they're all wearing wedding dresses in the trailer...

• edited 2013-09-17 03:58:03

Also, the current Indie Royale, the Back to School 2 Bundle...

http://www.indieroyale.com/

...contains 100% Orange Juice, a mascot board game featuring characters from games by Orange_Juice, such as Suguri, Sora, and Flying Red Barrel.

Also, a game called DIVO, which appears to be heavily inspired by the old NES/GB game Castelian (a.k.a. Tower Toppler).  Though that's not to say DIVO isn't creative; it certainly has its own unique elements (such as the magnetism feature).

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

^^ Ah, eugenics in video games, that's always a fun mechanic. That's probably the first time I see it implemented in a game that's not a strategy. You remember all the selective breeding done in Crusader Kings, eh?

• So in light of the Steam trading card stuff...I mean yes it's obvious money grubbing, but over a couple days of going back over games I enjoyed like Kairo, toodling around in games I haven't gotten around to properly like Sword of the Stars, or leaving certain games I hated in the background while reading (I'm not playing Bit Trip Runner for 2 hours, are you shitting me), I just sold everything in the Market and got $5.  So, score.

• edited 2013-09-18 17:54:41
    To be or not to be? That is the question.

http://www.faforever.com/

I'm interested in playing Forged Alliance Forever with any IJBMers. You just need Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance and the lobby, and I hope that I can see you guys on the battlefield!

On an unrelated note, did anyone play Grand Theft Auto V yet? How is it so far?

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Finished New Vegas. Now I hope somebody's gonna do a Fallout or Fallout 2 mod. That'd be hell of a work, yeah.

• FTL: I majorly lucked out and completed the Crystal Ship questline.  And with the cheap but absurdly good weapons they sell in that sector, finished the game on Normal without a Weapon Igniter.

• A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

Wait, questlines? Has the game really changed that much in the few months or so since I last played it?

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-09-21 02:16:51

There are like two actual questlines, and I think they were there the whole time.  Both of them take a rather extreme amount of luck in getting a sequence of random encounters.

For the Crystal Ship, you have to a) find a random encounter that makes you choose between a weapon+scrap and a stasis pod, and choose the latter, b) take the stasis pod to another random encounter where some Engi dude opens it up and releases a Crystal crewmember (who also happened to give me the 6 alien races achievement), and it tells you c) to go to the Rock homeworlds, which are a random red node on your sector map that you may not be able to access by then, and d) make your way to the quest marker in that sector.

The Crystal guy warps you to the hidden Crystal homeworld sector (effectively skipping the one you were just in), which has some really nasty encounters and some really cheap yet badass weapons in the stores.  Crystal weapons tend to be burst fire with shield piercing and low power requirements, so they pretty much demolish everything.  And they're sold for 20 scrap apiece.

Inside that sector, you have to e) make your way to another quest marker to find your crewmember's ship, which is then added to your hangar.

Even if you only get as far as getting the Crystal crewmember he's still pretty kickass, because he's supposedly a precursor to the Rocks.  He's got an HP boost, resistant to suffocation, and has an ability that locks down a room.  So if you're boarded, you can vent the room and lock it down with all the dudes in it.  Once you get the ship, one of its layout achievements is for doing that to four dudes at once.

• edited 2013-09-21 08:38:55
    A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

Wow. I guess I have more reasons to get back into this game then.

In other news, I bought the latest Humble Bundle and I now have spare Steam keys for FTL, Bastion and Limbo. If anybody's interested, you know where to hit me up.

I have the opposite problem: I bought FTL on GOG and then got it from the Humble Bundle.  Which basically means I've effectively given $2.49 to subsidize DRM-free gaming and as a favor to a friend who is a huge fan of FTL.

And now I'm not sure whether to use the FTL key from Humble just to get Steam cards, or to just leave it in my giveaway pile...which I've never gotten around to giving away anything from yet, actually.

• Guess who's been binging on Fire Emblem Awakening~?