If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"Andrew Jackson was so badass"

edited 2013-05-05 23:59:49 in General

I don't really like calling a genocidal fuckwit badass just because he was a violent dick.

Comments

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

"badass" is rarely anything more than a synonym for "killed a lot of people" anyway.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    except

you know

the people who get called badass without killing people
  • yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Yes.

Both of them.

and, you know,

firemen, people who stop muggers, and...stuff like that

• I never hear firemen getting called badass, but maybe I just don't hang out on the right messageboards.

• edited 2013-05-06 00:42:14
    yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Look. If you really want me to, I can get into my little spiel here about how "badass" has been drained of any meaning it might've ever had by internet dudebros to describe "epic" things that caricaturized versions of historical figures did (see: a solid third of all Cracked articles ever), but let's be honest, no one on this site cares about what anyone else on this site says on any meaningful level, so why bother?

let's be honest, no one on this site cares about what anyone else on this site says on any meaningful level

i think that's mostly just you

• edited 2013-05-06 00:48:20
    I think the term "badass" has slowly subsumed the old definition of "hero", that of someone who is or does something impressive.

Which is fine. Language is a fluid, mercurial thing.
  • Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

no one on this site cares about what anyone else on this site says on any meaningful level

i very much value the opinion and advice of a sizable number of members on this site, thank you

(he's gone)

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

for some reason, my first thought was the Daffy Duck cartoon where he gets erased.

• Definitely not gay.

but let's be honest, no one on this site cares about what anyone else on this site says on any meaningful level, so why bother?

Please stop stating your apathy when it's not warranted. It's making you look like a dick.

• "Dude, that Alex is such a Madass"

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I can't help it if my butt is always angry.

And admiration of historical figures is always going to be a tricky thing, because those people worked under different systems of ethics that were usually (but not always) acceptable in their time, and some of those ethical ideas will be incompatible with modern views and data. I don't think that should stop anyone from seeing the virtues in historical people, but nor does it mean anyone should ignore their shortcomings. Unless there isn't enough evidence present to determine their shortcomings.

So I'm pretty justified in interpreting Liechtenauer as a caricature of chivalric goodness, you see.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

So I'm pretty justified in interpreting Liechtenauer as a caricature of chivalric goodness, you see. 

And for a while, I've been thinking you were serious. I mean, that you wrote it because it was a reply to the conversation, not because it served as the justification to stuff HEMA into the conversation. Heh heh, I guess that was kind of silly of me, *SNORT!*.

So, er, talking about Jackson he sure wasn't fun to be around, especially if you were an Indian or a banker or, like, anyone who looked at him in funny way, but I'm gonna say the term "badass" does not require anyone to be a nice guy. I mean, I'm gonna agree it's distasteful to stick this term to people who are generally too unlikable, as it is perceived a term of praise, but I'm gonna say what "too unlikable" means is kind of fluid, given historical characters.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Meh, Teddy Roosevelt was at least a hundred times as badass anyway.

• Your worth is 50 yen!

And for a while, I've been thinking you were serious. I mean, that you wrote it because it was a reply to the conversation, not because it served as the justification to stuff HEMA into the conversation. Heh heh, I guess that was kind of silly of me, *SNORT!*.

If you have spoken to Alex for longer than five minutes you would know better than that.

• Didn't Andrew Jackson only kill people in one-on-one duels, almost all of which he challenged them to?  Also, weren't most of his victims his own political opponents or people who'd said something bad about him in general?  He was basically the Uwe Boll of the political world, to my understanding.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

There was also the time when he fucked the entire Cherokee tribe so he could make an example. But it doesn't mean he was a racist. He even adopted a Native orphan. Whose whole village he just killed.

Is it bad that the first comparison I thought of was Samus Aran?

I dunno, I once watched the news, and it said that a prosecutor in politically sensitive case attempted suicide, and the first thing I thought of was that he looked like he was Klingon.

Well, this isn't about looks, but about events.  Samus Aran killed all the metroids except a baby metroid which she decided to "adopt" after it imprinted on her.

That said, motive was much different: Samus Aran did it because she was on assignment to save the galaxy from a significant biological weapon, while Andy Jack did it because fuck the applicable party.