If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

My cousin just started rapping

edited 2011-01-13 21:31:50 in General
And he's....less then great. I don't know how to tell him that. For reference I'll link his first uploaded song. 

Yeah...the rhymes aren't too horrible but I really think he needs some "work" 

So how do I tell him he sucks without offending him? 

Comments

• edited 2011-01-13 21:35:04
    Pony Sleuth
    Link to him on the internet and let others badmouth him.

Sort of like that. ^
  • so my clever plan has already been uncovered. That did not take long. 
  • yea i make potions if ya know what i mean
    He's a rapper, if he's actually any good, he won't get offended, he'll just dis you to your face.
  • Eh, it didn't kill me. he could be pretty good with practice.

Also, ireadthatas "raping".
  • Did you say he just started? I imagine it takes some practice.

Maybe suggest that he hold off on uploading things until he gets more experience.

To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't want him to stop. This is awesome for the wrong reasons.
  • Also, I don't what qualifies as good rap because I never listen to it.
  • This is bad rap, but it's good because it's ironic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqXi8WmQ_WM

His cousin's rap is bad because while the quality is about as bad, it's not ironic.

ohgodimahipster
  • Aaand I read that as fapping.
  • Wouldn't that song be considered postmodern, not ironic? 
  • edited 2011-01-13 22:01:50
    Pony Sleuth
    I wasn't sure what it meant exactly for something to be postmodern, so I checked Wikipedia.
    "Postmodernism is a tendency in contemporary culture characterized by the problematization of objective truth and inherent suspicion towards global cultural narrative or meta-narrative."
    Laaaawl
  • edited 2011-01-13 22:06:07
    Because you never know what you might see.
    Postmodern is more of a general trend than a specific quality.  Many recent works are reflective of postmodernism without being intended as such.
  • I used the tvtropes definition since it's easier to understand

In general, postmodern writing involves a blurring of boundaries. The most popular permutation of this is blurring the boundary between the reader or viewer and the fiction — for example, a TV show that acknowledges that it is not real. 

so the song would be postmodern because it's acknowledging the cliches of bad rap.
  • I don't listen to rap, but I think that he would sound better with more enthusiasm.

I didn't understand what he was saying, was it about ghosts?
  • I'm not quite sure...something about ghosts and I think haters...
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    >I think that he would sound better with more enthusiasm.

That's really the only problem with it.  Although, his pronunciation sounds really, really awkward, and he starts and stops in middle of his bars (which is annoying).

Not that bad, though.

• I should start rapping, but about things nobody raps about.

And not like the nerd-rap kinda "things nobody raps about" that everybody raps about. Things really nobody raps about.
  • The Gobi Desert? Communism?

...font?
  • Fancy a rap battle, Avenue?
  • yea i make potions if ya know what i mean
    "I should start rapping, but about things nobody raps about."

If you do, for the love of God please don't rap about magic. It seems to be that one thing that everyone thinks no one raps about, but enough people do for it to be annoying. JUST enough people.
  • But you never had any to begin with.
    Clearly, one should rap about magical magnets. Not miraculous ones, though.
  • Do people rap about ducks?
  • At least he doesn't try to make emocore music with Fruityloops.
  • If I were to rap, it'd be about electromagnetism, so that I could end the song with «So that's how fucking magnets work».
  • a little muffled
    That's brilliant, Poni.