If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

What the fuck is up with all the Comic Sans hate?

edited 2013-04-12 15:35:12 in General

Seriously, it's fucking font, people.

Why the fuck does everyone care so much about characters that look only slightly different from normal? Letters are letters.

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

It gets over-exaggerated because it became a meme for some reason.

That said, font selection is important when creating a document, and so using it outside its intended purpose (i.e. comics) is a sign of not knowing what you're doing.

• But you never had any to begin with.

It has a distinct tendency to get used in entirely inappropriate situations, like "The funeral will take place on December 5th 2015".

• edited 2013-04-12 15:44:11
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

And with regard to this:

Letters are letters.

Nobody is going to read a newspaper that looks like this.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I don't hate Comic Sans.

I think the hate for it is a bit of a meme, combined with enough noobs actually using it.  Usually not for as extreme a situation as ^ that, but for things like internal departmental announcements and such.

It looks like an informally handwritten font with vaguely grade-school-ish overtones.

• Some people care deeply about stuff most other consider mostly non-transcendent. Add the multiplying hate effect from the internet, plus the fact that, like INUH said, it's become a meme and you end up with the hilarious overreaction that we currently see almost everywhere.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-04-12 17:24:51

It's aesthetically terrible.  Like, there are reasons most fonts are designed the way they are (including this one), usually coming down to readability in specific situations.  Serif fonts like Times New Roman offer aesthetic precision that makes it easier on the eyes for large blocks of text in printed media.  Sans-serif fonts like Arial are best for things designed to read quickly in small amounts, like road signs (fun fact: you will statistically get less of a tl;dr response from an audience just by using a serif font).  System fonts of course are for evenly-spaced text for coding and parsing purposes.  Impact is reminiscent of older printing press letterhead that was made that way through physical limitations.  And so on.

Comic Sans was specifically designed to be imprecise and goofy-looking to appeal to kids, by a guy who specialized in WA-WA-WA-WACKY child-targeted fonts.  While it reflects the hastily-handwritten style of comic books, initially also done that way out of physical limitations, it's objectively more difficult and obnoxious on your eyes than pretty much anything short of cryptography because it's designed with the express purpose of grabbing the slippery attention of ADHD pre-teens rather than actually being readable.

It has a distinct tendency to get used in entirely inappropriate situations

Example.

Mod edit: fixing a link.  Remember to include "http://" or the parser goes stupid and puts it as a subpage of the forum.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

I remember a funny situation from back in high school, when a friend handed over a dissertation (written in comic sans) to our history teacher. It took only one glance at the papers for her to begin fidgeting and grunting something to herself, only for her to give back the dissertation with a disgusted look on her face, saying "Reprint this in Times New Roman, size 12. I can't read this."

Granted, she was kinda insane, but still.

• Being passionate about things is cool, but getting angry about something as hilariously trivial as fonts unless it's in the correct context (like, it's okay it a font club or a design committee or something) is stupid. People who do actually get angry at fonts should probably consider visiting that outside place... 

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-04-12 16:42:04

When you have to read 40+ student papers in a night, you kinda have the right to be anal about what font they use, seeing how it's your eyes getting strained if they use a shitty one.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

people who hate Arial are both way more ridiculous and far funnier.

• edited 2013-04-12 17:30:30
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I really don't have much of a problem with Comic Sans.

It looks handwritten.

The only issue is that it looks kinda informal.  But arguably it's because we've associated seriffed fonts with formality by repeated juxtaposition in our social cues.

• Kichigai birthday!!

People who hate Comic Sans and Navi and won't shut up about it are some of the most annoying people in the planet.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^^It isn't really problematic in its intended context, i.e. comics. Anywhere else, it's really out-of-place.

it looks kinda informal.  But arguably it's because we've associated seriffed fonts with formality by repeated juxtaposition in our social cues

No, it's because it's designed to look informal.

• A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read
    Come to think of it, wasn't Comic Sans first introduced as part of Microsoft Bob?
  • edited 2013-04-12 18:21:35
    But you never had any to begin with.

It was intended to be, but it was finished too late. It eventually ended up in the OEM version of Win 95. (Well, technically 3D Movie Maker used it first, but.)

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-04-12 18:51:49

I did link its origins...

But arguably it's because we've associated seriffed fonts with formality by repeated juxtaposition in our social cues

We use sans-serif fonts formally too.  Typically in the ways I talked about before (smaller pieces of text you're supposed to read quickly).

• edited 2013-04-12 22:36:37
    A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

When selecting Comic Sans to display instant messages in Skype, the emoticon menu icon changes from a happy smiley to a sad smiley.

Just to give you an idea of how far-reaching the whole thing is.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-04-12 19:04:02

I'll admit I enjoy its memetic awfulness like that more than I find it actually awful, but there are still, y'know, real cognitive reasons why it's a bad font to be using willy-nilly.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

People who hate Comic Sans and Navi and won't shut up about it are some of the most annoying people in the planet.

t. font expert right here

• Also Comic Sans precludes you from naming any character "Clint".

• Try writing a college paper or any kind of essay in that font. It doesn't matter how well constructed your essay is, you're going to fail. 

• Well, profs do tend to tell you highly specific formatting instructions.

• I told you a hundred times Seibah, I don't want you in my pool

Times New Roman must be overthrown.

• A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

I wonder how much flak you would get for submitting a thesis that you typed entirely in Anime Ace...

• But you never had any to begin with.

I'm pretty sure I'm more likely to become goddess of the universe than that ever happening.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Times New Roman must be overthrown.

Just wait for it to get too big for its own good and let Gothic do the rest. 

• a little muffled

i c wut u did thar

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

^_^ i lol'd

• Okay that was pretty clever.

• You can change. You can.

alex you are the most dreadful of human beings