If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Emotion in Entertainment

edited 2013-03-23 05:07:46 in General

So here's a question; when you think about consuming media, what emotion do you want out of it?

Comments

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-03-23 05:16:23

Generally, whatever they were trying to evoke.  As long as it's done tastefully, I'm willing to take a movie or a video game for its intended purpose rather than impose my own.

Really, "what emotion do you want out of it?" should be a question you ask the creator, not the audience.

• edited 2013-03-23 05:57:47
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I try to put myself in the characters' minds and think about their experiences and try to understand what they're going through and feel what they feel.

This may be related to my lack of taste for comedy.

• No, the question is "What do you choose to feel a certain emotion, and what emotion do you want in the first place?"

• So here's a question; when you think about consuming media, what emotion do you want out of it?

Un-bored. That's pretty much the only thing I want consistently.

• That's a simple question, I want all the feels.

All of them.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

polygons is emotions

[/davidcage]

• Has friends besides tanks now

No, the question is "What do you choose to feel a certain emotion, and what emotion do you want in the first place?"

I choose whatever I've heard is good that falls into a generalized-enough category of either tense, or sad, or funny, or goofy, or action-packed. And the emotion I want is the one that the writers attempt to put across by making a work that's meant to be tense, or sad, or funny, or goofy, or action-packed.

• You can change. You can.

I honestly don't understand the OP. Like...you consume different media based on what you want to feel. You don't exactly pop in a Seinfeld DVD to be completely devastated emotionally and you don't pop in a Schindler's List Blu-Ray because you really feel like laughing.

• edited 2013-03-25 17:21:41
    Has friends besides tanks now

Even the clarification was kind of obtuse, and I feel like most people would concur with the answer that they choose based on what they want to feel at any given moment.

• What I want to know is, what do people want to feel most often from the media they consume?

Like, do you want to feel sad the most? Why? And is the second runner-up a thrill? And why?

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I don't think most people keep a running tally.

Not only that, but most people like to feel different things all the time. 

Human beings are rather complex like that.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Reprieve from ennui.

that doesn't explain that time you decided to watch steins;gate and watched as your feelings and heart were systematically destroyed by a crazy dude in a labcoat

• I'm a damn twisted person

Steins;Gate worked a miracle. It made me give a shit about a cat girl moeblob. That is some powerful emotional witchery right there. 

I suspect at least one soul was sold in order for such to occur

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Feyris Nyannyan is the Lady Macbeth of our time.

• edited 2013-03-25 20:06:38
    You can change. You can.

I think Ophelia would be more accurate.

ETA: Kurisutiina is the Lady MacBeth of our time.

• edited 2013-03-26 00:20:39
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

What I want to know is, what do people want to feel most often from the media they consume?

Feels.

No, seriously.  I want to feel emotional tension, which gets resolved spectacularly.

What kinds?  Well, I know there's some distinctions, though admittedly some feels are rather irritating and others are really fulfilling.

• Alright, since it's so vague, let me amend my question; what 'feels' do you actively avoid?

For example, I hate feeling fear, so I actively avoid horror films.
  • yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

I am fairly certain that most people do not really choose to feel things.

• I watch anime to feel sadness and sympathy. On the occasion I, for whatever reason start thinking about life after death and all that I just go for feel good shows/movies to cheer me up.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Feels I try to avoid, because I just don't feel them or don't feel that way: awkwardness (as a point of drama or comedy), romance (as comedy), various sexist feels, and schadenfreude.

• I don't even call it violence when it's in self defence; I call it intelligence.

^Oh yes. that's a good point. I can't stand comedies where you're supposed to cringe. Fremdschämen is a bad thing.

• "I will grant you two wishes; one for each testicle."

Count me in as one of the people who absolutely hate comedy derived from awkwardness. Ugh.

• a little muffled

I'm okay with cringe comedy in low doses. Shows and movies completely built on it I don't like, but a lot of my favourite comedies have cringe-inducing moments here and there.

What exactly is Family Guy's comedy style called?  I know that's an example of what I don't like.  Is therea name for it, so I can refer to it witrhout citing Family Guy specifically over and over again?

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^You mean the overuse of cutaway gags? Because that's the first thing I think of when I think of Family Guy.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Family Guy does a lot of things depending on the episode. Most of it is reference humor or satire, but they sometimes go for a domestic comedy angle too.

Hmm...there's cutaway gags, which are definitely overused, and whose overuse just completely chops up what little coherence the narrative might have had.

But that's definitely not the only thing.  You also have things like the "everyone vomiting over everything" scene and the "Bird is the Word" song which are are basically overly long instances of people almost intentionally (definitely intentionally, in a meta sense) in order to annoy people's sense of sensibility.  It's like, "let's see how long we can get away with being a completely idiotic jackass (and celebrate it)", effectively exaggerating an idea far past willing suspension of disbelief (or some similar threshold).