If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Plays

edited 2013-03-15 20:42:44 in General

They are the one form of entertainment that is devilishly hard to access from home. It's very sad, because reading them just isn't the same.

Comments

• I'm not sure if this is sarcasm

But if it's not I agree with the sentiment

Alice wants her some Broadway musicals, dammit!

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

watch performances on Youtube?

• I'm guessing there's a difference between watching a recorded performance and actually being there. Or else we can just watch movie adaptations...?

• A movie adaptation isn't quite the same as a play though. But yeah, going to the theater is wondrous experience. 

Maybe VR will help housebound people experience it? ONE DAY!

• If you do end up in London I suggest the National Threatre, especilly for the seats, the venue and plays set there.

Two plays I enjoyed that were set in Stalin's Russia which were held in the NT were "Burned by the Sun" and "Collaborator."

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

A play is a very VERY different experience from a movie, namely that a camera can give you many different vantage points. Also what makes a good stage actor doesn't make a good screen actor. Incredibly expressive actors would find themselves at a disadvantage on stage, for example.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

...no, I meant like, recordings of the actual plays. Not movies. :|

I can't see how the former is all that different from being there.

• I don't even call it violence when it's in self defence; I call it intelligence.

Meh. Plays are what they had to use before there was TV and cinema :p

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I sit far enough from the stage that I might as well watch it on TV.

Except when there are special effects.  When a haunted chandelier rises before your very eyes at the beginning of Phantom of the Opera, that is worth every penny of that ticket.

Doubly so if you're in Las Vegas and you get a multi-part chandelier.

Yeah the thing about theater effects is they're more impressive in person as opposed to TV's world of cuts, editing, and CGI.

• I don't even call it violence when it's in self defence; I call it intelligence.

But, in the end, you can in fact do more with cuts, editing and CGI. We've just gotten incredibly used to it, that's all.

Yeah and you can do more with studio sound editing but there's still a huge demand to see your favorite bands live. There are things that can only be captured in person.

• You can change. You can.

Relatedly:

IJBM: Play-to-film adaptations. 

Seriously, they barely if ever translate well. 

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    12 Angry Men was pretty good.
  • edited 2013-03-18 15:40:51
    You can change. You can.

Mamet actually works on film, too.

But I was thinking of stuff like The Ides of March and Frost/Nixon.

They're good movies, mind you, but the writing and the performances tend to operate under the impression that we're watching a stage and as such, you have stuff like long-winded drunk Frank Langella ruminations about success. 

It's not really a matter of quality per se so much as the fact that movies based on lays often keep the aspects that don't really work outside of the stage, in my opinion. Like the grand-standing and over-the-top performances and the long-winded and overtly eloquent speeches.