If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

My mother expecting me to be exited and or care about lottery tickets

13»

Comments

• edited 2012-12-27 14:29:52
    Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

I find going to the movies and playing video games to be more fun than buying scratch offs for MYSELF. But am I going to say that it is a better use of someone's time? No, because that is an opinion.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

There are people that consider going in a hot air balloon to be a "waste of money and time" There are people that think going to the Gold Coast is "throwing your money away."

And I am 99.9999% sure those same people think throwing $2,000 away on lottery tickets is a waste of money.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

And I am 99.9999% sure those same people think throwing $2,000 away on lottery tickets is a waste of money.

Exactly. So why does it matter which one someone enjoys?

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Oh dear god.

Let's just fucking move on already.

calm down, nova

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Gambling is bad, m'kay. There's arguably a return through the intensity of the experience, but you're not being sold a product, a thing -- you're being sold an opportunity that's unlikely to pay off. You get exceptions like professional gambling, in which case those well-learned in mathematics, the rules of the games and their relationships can make it big. But when it comes to true, random chance like buying a lottery ticket, you're being fleeced in a way that's technically legal but so morally dubious on part of the organisers that one has to wonder how it is. 

The whole setup is really, really sordid. Almost vile. Once in a while the organisers have to pay out in big amounts, but they mostly just collect money from lower-class people and pay back a few minor prizes. There's personal conceptions of fun, and there's supporting organisations that operate on the basis of taking money on implicit promises. As much as there's nothing technically unlawful about it, it's still a very dishonest way to make cash and preys upon desperation. My suggestion would be to not buy lottery tickets, not only for one's own sake, but to ensure that money doesn't find its way into the hands of people who do near no labour to get it. 

• edited 2012-12-27 14:45:46
    Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

A much better argument, as far as I'm concerned. Thanks, Alex.

To whomever may care, I have decided to not buy anymore lottery tickets.

• edited 2012-12-27 15:12:08
    Has friends besides tanks now

Oh dear god.

Let's just fucking move on already.

Onto what, exactly? I could have sworn we were having the same argument this whole time.

The thing is, there are ways to have fun that don't involve throwing away money on something that is extremely unlikely to ever reward you.

You can spend your money on more than one thing at a time. I absolutely agree that books and movies are a better investment, but who says a person can't do both?

For what it's worth, I've only been defending my parents' actions as something I don't mind. I can't see myself buying lotto tickets at any point in my life, and I agree that it's ultimately a poor investment, but I'm not going to flip out and ask, "why would you do that" when they buy me tickets as a gift with their money, and every now and then, scratching off a ticket is more fun than I'll get out of most other stocking stuffers.

With that said, Alex has skillfully elaborated on a point I made earlier and provided a much better argument for avoiding the lottery (or at least, for why poor people shouldn't buy tickets). Though observations like that make me want to bring my parents into this debate, because I feel like they could somehow whip out a decent rebuttal to that. Not that I would probably agree with them, but I'm not about to police their spending, either.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Onto what, exactly? I could have sworn we were having the same argument this whole time.

I think her point is that this thread has gotten sufficiently out-of-hand that we shouldn't bother with it anymore.

• They're somethin' else.

I think a simple "live and let die" would have sufficed just fine :V

And again, thank you for that, Alex.

• Has friends besides tanks now

^^ I don't see why it had to get out of hand in the first place, but that's probably true by virtue of the length of the debate in general.

It was my fault. Sorry about that...

Ahem, anyways...

It bothers me when people you're close to decide to do a lottery pool and try to get you involved. On one hand, there's the snide satisfaction you can get from going "toss your money away, you fools :V"

On the other, on the off chance that maybe, JUST MAYBE they'll win (lets not talk about the odds. We've heard it all),  you're the one that's gonna look like an idiot. Who gives a shit about the money, the last thing you want is for THEM to succeed, and them alone. So you submit and pitch in a five.

Fuck the lottery >:C

• FFS, just organize a poker night among friends with a reasonable jewgold cap. Just enough stakes to make it exciting(plus the bonus of one-upping your bros), a combo of skill and luck, and fun in its own right.

• edited 2012-12-27 22:04:33
    yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

My mother is absolutely convinced that the only reason she hasn't won the lottery is because she hasn't prayed hard enough yet.

It's really quite sad.

It bothers me when people you're close to decide to do a lottery pool and try to get you involved. On one hand, there's the snide satisfaction you can get from going "toss your money away, you fools :V"

On the other, on the off chance that maybe, JUST MAYBE they'll win (lets not talk about the odds. We've heard it all), you're the one that's gonna look like an idiot. Who gives a shit about the money, the last thing you want is for THEM to succeed, and them alone. So you submit and pitch in a five.

Newspaper column I read once described lottery pools as "embarrassment insurance". I think that's an apt statement.

• Wow, this is the stupidest thing I've seen all day.
  • yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Why are you just waking up at 11PM?

^^Aye.

• edited 2012-12-29 10:58:20

A lottery ticket costs like...£2, who really cares? Personally, I'd rather buy a lottery ticket and slightly increase (however minuscule that increase may be) the chance of me having LOADS of money than spend £2 on a chocolate bar and slightly increase my weight and my chance of getting diabetes.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

You could just, you know, save the two pounds.

• Or spend it on booze and increase your chances of liver damage.

• But I already spent like £12 on booze D:

A candy bar makes you gain 2 pounds? :p
  • A damn good one does :P

• My dad plays the lottery all the time to the point he hides it.