If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Fast Eddie's communication with the moderators

Comments

• ^_________________^

I feel so dirty for using this emoticon..
  • yea i make potions if ya know what i mean
    Whalesmile is best smile.
  • "I wonder if we haven't come to expect too much from Fast Eddie, it's not
    like every other admin on the internet doesn't act much the same way"

Very few of them do this, actually.  Usually they'll at least wait until a specific offense and then give an explicit reason for the ban so other people may avoid the same.  Then again, most other moderators have the goal of keeping their forums healthy, and Eddie seems to regard the TVT forums as more of an annoyance and grudging accommodation than a key part of the community.

IMO Scrye had his issues, but little more than anyone else on the forums, especially given his background.  He was a perspective a lot of us probably needed.
    "IMO Scrye had his issues, but little more than anyone else on the
    forums, especially given his background.  He was a perspective a lot of
    us probably needed."

Going to have to disagree here. The only times he ever interacted with me was to cause problems.

"Very few of them do this, actually.  Usually they'll at least wait until
    a specific offense and then give an explicit reason for the ban so
    other people may avoid the same.  Then again, most other moderators have
    the goal of keeping their forums healthy, and Eddie seems to regard the
    TVT forums as more of an annoyance and grudging accommodation than a
    key part of the community."

I don't know where you're going that very few of the admins ban people for no reason.
  • edited 2011-01-13 13:55:14
    Because you never know what you might see.
    For any who were wondering, Fast Eddie has posted his view of the matter:

People who think trollish, disruptive posts are fun just aren't welcome in the forums. We saw the swing toward complete 4-chan/ED level chaos starting up from the lenient stance toward IJBM antics. I think we have to control against that swing more actively than has been done.

Look, there are tons of places on the Web where assholes are tolerated. You will notice that these places are not noted for their creativity, truly amusing humor, or any other positive trait.

The assholes still have a home. It just won't be here.

This is because creative, humorous people are repulsed by assholes. I'd rather hang out with creative, humorous people. Wouldn't you?
    I haven't been agreeing with him lately, but I think he hit the nail on its head right there.
  • Yeah, I'm sure every successful artist is a good person.

The fuck. There's plenty of creativity and truly amusing humor on 4chan. Sturgeon's Law is in place, of course, but where isn't it?
  • Then again, most other moderators have the goal of keeping their forums
    healthy, and Eddie seems to regard the TVT forums as more of an
    annoyance and grudging accommodation than a key part of the community.

This.

And this one can't get rid of a feeling that forums (except for the left side) might one day just be deleted altogether.

And again, it is entirely within his right to do so.
  • I've seen wonderful things come out of 4chan boards that aren't /b/.

Also,

melloncollie: Not seeing much creativity or humor in here. It's more "lol now I can
    finally insult that guy in public as much as I like, because now he
    can't do anything about it, like insult me back."
  • edited 2011-01-13 14:08:02
    yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

• I agree with Fast Eddie entirely. I've seen some genuinely assholish behaviour on TV Tropes- and not just in IJBM either, if you must know.

The only good thing I've seen come out of 4Chan was when some members of Anon threw a Brithday party for a lonely old guy. There's probably more, but the fact I need you to help me doesn't bode well
    4chan is fine when it wants to be. It's also not a single entity, but many posters. Making generalizations about them isn't going to get us anywhere.
  • edited 2011-01-13 14:20:16
    (void)
    Some interesting creative stuff has come out of 4chan.  That one VN about disabled girls, for example.  Also, Troll Physics, thanks to /sci/.

I'd actually reference Something Awful for a place that a lot of creativity has sprung, though.
  • edited 2011-01-13 14:23:33
    Mostly thinking of the internet memes.

Hating internet memes is my current mission on my quest to take the place of Nornagest.
  • I'd actually reference Something Awful for a place that a lot of creativity has sprung, though.

That would probably be a more accurate comparison, really.  Note however that SA is moderated according to clear rules, and you can see precisely what someone was banned for and what behavior to avoid.

Even on 4chan though, you get some pretty staggering artwork every once in a while.  I'm pretty sure my Beedrill/Vespiquen moonlight dance avatar was from /vp/, as was the majority of everything else in the forum thread I got it from.  And then there's /x/ and the occasional awesome creepypasta, etc.
  • edited 2011-01-13 14:50:35
    Speaking as Khwarizmi and not as the operator of any other Internet account which may or may not be associated with TV Tropes Wiki, I'm not happy that Scrye was banned; he was entertaining (when he wasn't annoying, at least) and I kind of wish we could all just get along without badmouthing one another all the time, even if we can't all go so far as to be friendly towards one another.  I don't really see why that should be an unreasonable expectation, although experience tells me that it apparently is.

Regarding 4chan and Something Awful, I have to admit that I don't see them as very fitting substitutes for TV Tropes.  Neither has the community I'm most attached to, or the shared purpose provided by the Wiki; furthermore, 4chan is anonymous and thus a very different experience from TV Tropes, and SA requires you to pay to make an account (and fuck that).

That's not to belittle either site, both of which can be entertaining reads in their own ways, but which are very much distinct from TV Tropes to my mind.

As for Internet memes, they can be used creatively, and I don't see what is gained from hating them.  Granted, at best Internet memes have the approximate humour value of a well-timed bad pun, but a well-timed bad pun is still funny.
  • Scrye was basically banned for the same reason Guitar Bizarre was banned. Sure he was likable at times, but he was an asshole who didn't play by the rules and had no intentions of playing by the rules. It's like the only reason he wasn't banned earlier was because of a coincidence.

I suspect Fast Eddie dropped the hammer due to his Troll Posts in http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?discussion=12946274940A98740100 so I guess I'm responsible for getting Scrye banned.
  • Just as planned...
  • Question of interest:Who is the longest staying troper not banned, and who was the longest staying troper banned recently?
  • edited 2011-01-13 15:17:27
    While I think this ban was regrettable, I more or less agree with you there, Tomu.  I just think that actually cheering or gloating about it is a bit off.

>Who is the longest staying troper not banned,

Eddie or Janitor. :P

>and who was the longest staying troper banned recently?

Not sure, possibly Smokie.  Could have been Meaty, actually.  How recently are we talking about?
  • I'm not really cheering or gloating, but upon further reflection, I'm readjusting my view about moderation.

There are clearly assholes at TV Tropes, and even my attitude to where I go on TV Tropes is affected by said assholes. I would have liked to say "Put up with crap or leave" but that really doesn't work.

So, re-evaluating, I think kicking Scrye out was the way to go. Not sure about skullfucking him though.
  • I just don't like the precedent this sets. what constitutes assholeish behavior? If for example, there was someone who honestly believes that women should be treated like dogs or something else reprehensible, does that constitute being an asshole? Or would we keep them as long as they are civil with their horrible, horrible ideals? Is calling someone an idiot for believing the world is flat assholeish? Is shitposting now asshole behavior and therefore worthy of a Google ban? 
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    In answer to your first question, see the thread Tomu linked near the foot of the previous page.  To the others: yes, no, maybe, no.
  • Banning someone for expressing an idea, as horrible as it might be, seems just plain wrong to this one. As long as people are civil and abide by the rules, they should be free to express every opinion, and relied to with an equally civil tone.
  • edited 2011-01-13 16:03:46
    Scyre was skullfucked in the "Impromptu Rules" thread, but basically all the posts he was making were troll posts or "Well gee, sounds like being a dick means cleverly getting around the rules-sign me up!"

Incidentally, I'd be surprised if Rott every got banned, so if you're suggesting that it sounds like Rott's going to be banned one of these days for expressing his unconventional ideas, that's not how it works.

Rather, the mods are going after "trouble makers." Rott draws trouble to him, but he really doesn't make it.
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    I too would be surprised if Rotty got banned, because he will usually explain the reasons for his opinions, and he expresses them politely enough.

However, there is a point where you have to say, either this person is trolling, or they are so unpleasant that we don't want them around anyway.  That would be my response to somebody entering a thread and matter-of-factly stating that women should be treated like dogs.
  • This just in: people alternatively voicing their dislike and love for someone who's banned and isn't coming back is somehow more offensive than beating up on a kid with serious issues.
    I'm reasonably certain the answer to the first one is Fast Eddie.
  • edited 2011-01-13 16:39:41
    yea i make potions if ya know what i mean
    Oh wow, I somehow didn't see the MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF POSTS that sprang up in my absence.

A few things; I would be unsurprised if Rottweiler was eventually banned. I don't want that to happen, since he's generally a cool guy, but it wouldn't surprise me.

"This just in: people alternatively voicing their dislike and love
    for someone who's banned and isn't coming back is somehow more offensive
    than beating up on a kid with serious issues."

Chagen?