If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Fast Eddie's communication with the moderators

edited 2011-01-12 22:48:33 in IJBM meta
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
Starting with the Kagami Hiiragi Snuggling After Sex thread, I've noticed a problem.  That thread was, even if grudgingly and unwillingly, approved by various moderators, including BobbyG and Madrugada.  Then FE zapped it, and didn't provide a reason, not just to the users, but even to the moderators.

And now, after IJBM's deletion, there's the nuking of Random Complaints, as well as the "'Random Complaints' got nuked" thread, which I believe were both approved by the moderators.

What's up with this disconnect?

Comments

• To be fair, it's not quite clear if FE deleted it or not. Very likely, yes. Confirmed, no.
  • This bothers me too.

That's really all I can say about it.

So, did you hear the one about the lady who needs a clock for every hour?
  • ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
    TvTropes is his website. His time and money keeps it alive. It's his pet project. It was his idea.

It belongs to him.

We get to play in HIS sandbox.

We are merely visitors.

We have no rights, he is the master.

If he wants to start an un-deletable thread about glennmagusharvey's Character flaws, he can totally do it.

That's just about it.

Even if he wants to talk about how terrible my Chi avatar is, he can do it.

If he wants to get rid of the forum, he can do it.

If he wants to use TvTropes to start a cult that worships the egg-god, he can.

Any attempt to understand him will fail.

Perhaps one day he will strike everyone from the fora.

There is no limit. He just lets us be here.

Feels like a cosmic horror story, doesn't it?
  • I don't really know what is going on at the top but apparently nobody does, so I'll assume dragons. 
  • "So, did you hear the one about the lady who needs a clock for every hour?"

Yeah, she could tell time every hour on the hour!
  • That's one of the reasons this one is looking for alternatives to this forum. Community is nice, but the lack of predictability is scary.

And of course Fast Eddie as full rights to do whatever he wants, no arguments here.
  • edited 2011-01-13 00:02:48
    Yes, it's Fast Eddie's site and he can do whatever he wants. But not communicating clearly with the users he's chosen to help him maintain the site (i.e., the mods) seems counter-productive for everyone.
  • Meh, it'll probably settle down soon. These are tumultuous times.
  • edited 2011-01-13 02:09:53
    The website belongs to him. The concept of Tropes doesn't. That's the problem.
  • It's not even the unpredictability that bothers me, it's the fact that it's starting to become predictable for the totally wrong reasons.
  • So was Scrye banned?
  • He was, but it's irrelevant, because he's being deployed tomorrow so he'll be gone anyways.
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    What.

Well, I'm starting to think Glenn has a point, since I had no idea Scrye was banned.  What for?
  • edited 2011-01-13 09:40:47
    (void)
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    Hm.  Well, the only thing that springs to mind is that several of the mod team, plus IIRC Fast Eddie, were not happy with his behaviour up until this point.  I guess he must have finally gone too far, although I have no idea what he did.

Regarding the deletion of 'Random Complaints' got nuked, it was never explicitly approved, and such threads usually get zapped after a while.  There may have been some deciding factor (for example, if the disscussion became rude or something).  As for Random Complaints, it was deleted due to Fast Eddie's new stance against complaints, which was a very recent decision, hence the about-face.
  • yea i make potions if ya know what i mean
    Honestly, at this point I've stopped caring. :|

I wonder if we haven't come to expect too much from Fast Eddie, it's not like every other admin on the internet doesn't act much the same way.

Of course, I'd probably be more inclined to care if it was my head on the chopping block. But it's not, at least not right now.
  • Hopefully it's only a temp ban, I loved scrye. 
    I hope he never comes back, and no, I'm pretty sure he got Google Banned.

Besides, from what I understand he's on deployment anyway. So it's not like he'd be around regardless
  • edited 2011-01-13 11:09:31
    Because you never know what you might see.
    If Ponica's transcript is accurate, and I see no reason to assume it isn't, it was a Google ban, and those are intended as permanent.

I must say, though, I do find this attitude of dancing on his grave rather irksome.  Knowing Scrye, he probably doesn't care what we say about him, but it seems rather meanspirited all the same.  I know Morven wouldn't approve of such behaviour if we were on TV Tropes.
  • He was fun to debate with. Where did he get deployed to anyway? Afghanistan or is he part of the "non-combatant" group in Iraq? 
  • edited 2011-01-13 11:16:34
    yea i make potions if ya know what i mean
    "I must say, though, I do find this attitude of dancing on his grave
    rather irksome.  Knowing Scrye, he probably doesn't care what we say
    about him, but it seems rather meanspirited all the same.  I know Morven
    wouldn't approve of such behaviour if we were on TV Tropes."

This was a person who I tried in vain to interact with in any capacity for several months. So forgive me if I'm a tad bitter, okay?

Not to mention, people like this always get banned, it's entirely predictable.

Not to mention, the guy did nothing for my perception of the military.
  • Scyre was a douchebag, and just generally pretty rude with high level of frequency. I wouldn't have wanted him to be banned or anything, but I'm not surprised that he was.
  • Yeah, it isn't surprising but I'll miss him. 
  • He was fun to argue with, because I knew he would never respond in an intelligent and sincere fashion, so I could always feel like a superior moral being <3
  • I disliked Scrye, but he was apparently quite popular.

Which seems to have been the case with a few banned tropers, really.
    Yep.

And then after they're banned a bunch of people come out of the woodwork to say how much they disliked them.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I had remarked that Scrye seemed quite abrasive, before he was banned.  I also criticized Meaty before she was banned.

That said, I think there might be a handful of tropers who were banned but whose ban I didn't personally approve of.

There may have been some deciding factor (for example, if the disscussion became rude or something).
    I'm wondering if the zapping of KHSAS had to do with this as well, since I heard it had gotten a good number of complaints.

"I had remarked that Scrye seemed quite abrasive, before he was banned.  I also criticized Meaty before she was banned."

I've done similar. Don't know about Meat, offhand, but in general I seem to be able to predict who'll get banned and who won't. Not that I'm bragging, it's worrisome.
  • I wish there were "banned tropers" bets now. Because you WOULD help me with those, right?
    Surewhynot.