If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Feminists co-opting other causes, like racism and LGBT

2»

Comments

• You can change. You can.

you posted about media and social justice. we discussed examples of minorities in media. 

that isn't really that bizarre

• "My personal issue with the video bringing up race is simply that the mention of race seems uncalled for in the context that the video is discussing"

True, but the OP's inordinate fixation on that bit is pretty telling.

"I can see them becoming the leads in more movies (maybe not in our lifetime) but I kind of doubt they'll ever have anywhere near the presence straight/cisgendered people do in media."

Of all things, The Amazing Race actually does a pretty good job of portraying gays as ordinary people, though I suppose it's easier for minorities to not stick out like a sore thumb in a cast when they are actual people and not the product of a white, straight man's idea of what a minority acts like.

• ^ Telling of what?

• edited 2012-06-16 17:34:59

A lack of attention to the actual issue to the point that you'd be distracted by such a minor quip. Usually, such distraction tends to reveal a point being taken personally.

• Why should I pay less attention to some points than others? She wouldn't have put that in the video if she didn't want viewers to take notice.

Also, I should probably mention that this is nowhere near the first time I've seen this kind of co-opting take place. I take it as a general and rather stupid trend.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Still, you're basically saying that people shouldn't be allowed to mention forms of discrimination that aren't against them specifically, which is completely absurd.

• edited 2012-06-16 18:07:01

It often makes more sense to approach prejudice and discrimination from a holistic perspective when they have a common source. In the case of media, it's the dominance of rich white straight men and the myopia that results.

^And that. 

I'd get behind it were it not because it's just an unnecessary point in comparison to the points that video in question is discussing, and the video doesn't elaborate on it. plus misoginy and objetification of women can be found in non-white films *points to colombian film industry*

• Hmmm...yeah. Hollywood is too often used as a metonymy for the entire film industry.

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

Well that's just a symptom of a system similar to the United States' in its basic positioning of men in position of power, rather than women. It results in mostly male-centric cultural views. Consider how few women have become "famous" directors as opposed to men. Even today, many women would only be able to name Kathryn Bigelow and maybe Mary Harron and Diane Keaton. 

• edited 2012-07-18 01:44:08

Perhaps I should re-phrase:

Obviously, anyone can notice injustice whether it's happening to someone of their strata or not. What I don't get is the way feminist theory has so effectively and inseparably blended itself with activism for other oppressed groups, like how the Geek Feminism Wiki includes subsections for disability activism. It makes me wonder why they even call it "feminism" anymore and not "oppressed-ism" since it can hardly be said to solely cover women when presented on its own terms.

• It makes me wonder why they even call it "feminism" anymore and not "oppressed-ism" since it can hardly be said to solely cover women when presented on its own terms.

I'm pretty sure that things like the Geek Feminism wiki are grandfathered terms, and the usual blanket term is Social Justice.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

... grandmothered? 

• edited 2012-07-18 12:41:48
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Grandparented, you privileged twit!

• >not using 'outdated'

>breedercentrism

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

^^ Some people don't have parents, you know. You should check your privilege before you make such offensive statements! 

(inb4 "I'm not privileged, but..." becomes a thing)

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    (inb4 "I'm not privileged, but..." becomes a thing)

>implying it's not already a thing

• There is love everywhere, I already know

Will every politics/human-interest thread eventually become a tumblr social justice thing?

• edited 2012-07-18 13:30:50
    We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year

It's a convenient target for people who want to avoid engaging with the movement as a whole, so probably not.

Maybe not particularly on IJBM, but in other places, yeah.

to be fair the thread started with something that might as well have come out from Tumblr.

• edited 2012-07-18 14:51:40
    (void)

What I find funny is that you guys didn't hit the racism in the original Grandfather Clause.  This is literally Jim Crow we're talking about here.

• So "feminism" itself is an outdated term? Since when, like ten minutes ago?

• No, what I mean is that the site was originally just about feminism then branched out to more general SJ topics.  Stop being dense.

• Kinda obvious, but there be no such thing as social justice causes as a whole. Each specific -ism thingy is nebulous and internally divided. It does present a divided front, but also makes sure it never falls into complacency.

I like the raging at the excesses of the Tumblr activists better than the we've-already-had-this-discussion sentiment that cropped up previously with -ism topics.

• edited 2012-07-18 20:22:14

^^ But pretty much every feminist blog or conversation that I've seen has integrated broader SJ stuff even while it just calls itself feminist, not just that one site. They can't all be "grandfathered terms", as it were.