If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBM Extreme Metal thread

Comments

• edited 2012-07-06 19:39:32

Swedish old-school death metal tends to be cleaner and more melodic than other types of OSDM, that might be why you like it more. Not really a big fan of the style for the most part, but Grave and (especially) Dismember are awesome.

And surprisingly enough, I finally like Mayhem's De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas! Never thought that was going to happen, the album used to bore me silly save for "Freezing Moon" but now it's getting very close to being one of my favourite black metal albums.

• Has friends besides tanks now

I haven't listened to any Grave yet because I couldn't find any full album videos, and I've come to prefer using those to find bands for the moment. But when I listened to the title track on Left Hand Path, I caught almost the exact same tone as in Resurrection Through Carnage, and yeah, it's pretty clear while still being super heavy, especially compared to other old school death metal I've heard. And you're spot-on about the melodic bit. That's why I like technical death metal; the riffs are nasty, but they also stand out due to whatever combination of instrumental tone, melody, and placement.

• Bitches please.

THIS is extreme metal.

1 2 3 2 1

1 2 1

1 2 3 2 1

1 2 1

1 2 3 2 1

I dun geddit.

• It's a tungsten carbide lattice.

• edited 2012-07-06 23:27:24
    Has friends besides tanks now

ah

Listening to Meshuggah's obZen while playing Tetris and reading, I've come to the conclusion that I can only listen to them when I'm heavily preoccupied with another task, and good for allowing me to really get into that task. So, they're probably not very high up on my list of bands to add to my iPhone, since I couldn't just listen to the to appreciate their riffage or anything like that. I still greatly admire Tomas Haake, though.

• edited 2012-07-06 23:28:11
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Does it have Fermi level above the lower boundary of conducting band? I mean, you call it a ceramic, so I hope it's at least metal in its electronic qualities. EDIT I mean, Fermi level, you know, naturally-occuring electrons in the conducting band and stuff.

• edited 2012-07-06 23:41:18

I'm liking what I hear from Gorgoroth. A lot, actually. But I feel like I shouldn't be supporting them, on account of Gaahl being one of the more notable anti-Christian and bigoted proponents of the black metal scene.

• I'm in kind of the same situation with Burzum and Varg Vikernes. I really don't want to support a convicted murder and arsonist but I really like his early stuff.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-07-07 00:43:49

Does it have Fermi level above the lower boundary of conducting band? I mean, you call it a ceramic, so I hope it's at least metal in its electronic qualities.

IIRC it is actually reasonably conductive, albeit not, like, copper level.

Fucking hell, now you've got me checking journals for random properties of compounds.  Thanks a bunch.

EDIT:  Well, someone at Penn State says it's similar to platinum at Fermi level, and apparently PEM Fuel Cell Electrocatalysts and Catalyst Layers: Fundamentals and Applications corroborates this with a figure they're not letting me see in the preview.  In other news, it appears my college hasn't deleted my access to their journal searching.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

This reminds me that one of my buddies is a chemist and plays in a metal band. For some reason though, he wasn't willing to heed our advice and make songs about chemistry, even though hey, already too many metal bands sing about Satan, while have you ever heard a metal song about research into Langmuir layers or cell scaffoldings?

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

>click on the extreme metal thread
    >picture of Big Bird 

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

^^ Maybe structuring a series of songs after the base components of certain molecules would work? I don't know.

^ Big Bird is most metal.

• Big Bird met the Cookie Monster, the only way that anyone could possibly be more metal than that is by actually being the Cookie Monster.

too many metal bands sing about Satan, while have you ever heard a metal song about research into Langmuir layers or cell scaffoldings?

What he should do is combine the two, and write lyrics about Satanic chemistry.

• I'm a damn twisted person
    If they sung about chemistry they would get sick of people making heavy metals jokes.
  • >Sepultura replaces Pennywise as final act for local free festival

>Sky begins pouring halfway during the day, whole park becomes mudpool

>Meh, go home(since that just be ten minutes by bike, no biggie)

>Return later in the evening, sky is overcast creating great ambiance, mosh peeps cake themselves in mud

Still liked them better when I saw them on the beach, though.

• They're somethin' else.

WHOA YEEEAAAA-EEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

• a little muffled

Decent song, but I don't think there is any universe in which Edguy can be considered extreme.

• edited 2012-07-10 22:30:32

In fairness, I have to admit now that "extreme metal" is rather nebulous at times; for example, Children of Bodom identify exactly as such, but I don't think I can call them "extreme". They're a little too cheesy. And then metalcore can vary pretty wildly, though it's a rather specific term; some of As I Lay Dying's output could very well count.

• a little muffled

Oh, it's definitely nebulous. Melodeath and power metal can be awfully close (CoB are more or less power metal with harsh vocals), and the heavier thrash bands can sound a lot more "extreme" than certain bands that are normally considered extreme even though thrash is normally not considered part of the extreme metal umbrella.

But all that considered, I still don't think anyone could mistake Edguy for extreme.

Well, no, but I just felt like throwing that out there.

Oh my god, how could I ever forget about these guys? This is a phenomenal album. Sadly, it's only a side project of members of inferior bands (Therion and Chimaira, are the ones I remember).

Rezzed for @Formaldehyde 's convenience.

• edited 2012-07-21 22:59:26

The OP mentions godly drummers. The thread is on the second page.

And nobody has mentioned Pete Sandoval? For shame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbPSR7rAdxI

No idea how to embed.

• edited 2012-07-21 23:26:18

Yeah. I had just gotten into Nile, was all. I left out a bunch (Gene Hoglan, Proscriptor McGovern, Inferno, Tomas Haake (the only part of Meshuggah whose fame I understand), Vitek, John Longstreth, Marco Pitruzzella, Brann Dailor, Moe Carlson, Shawn Priest, Shannon Lucas, Francesco Paoli, and Mauro Mercurio, out of who I'm familiar with to any degree).

• edited 2012-07-21 22:53:41
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

• How did you do that?

To embed, remove the hyperlink from the URL.

• edited 2012-07-21 22:56:33
    Slime Edit: I hate tonight.
  • edited 2012-07-21 22:56:36
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

You need a regular Youtube link, which I got through following the link and copying the proper Youtube link. Then you open the HTML editor, the bottom on the bottom left of the interface above the test box, paste the link, hit 'update', and post.

That's how I do it, at least.