If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"The Titanic was real?"

edited 2012-07-04 05:56:33 in General

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/cutline/rodney-king-dick-clark-titanic-real-death-major-110858944.html

I don't usually say things like this, but:

1. I hate my generation.

2. I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    D:<
  • People also don't know who Dick Clark was, and probably not Andy Griffith either =(

• You can change. You can.

I don't know who Dick Clark is but I find it pretty weird that people don't know who Griffith is

I'm not even from the US ferchrissakes

• Has friends besides tanks now

^^ As a matter of fact, I had to look them up.

What can I say, I don't like old things.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I know who Dick Clark was, and I also have a clue who Andy Griffith was (though I haven't formally seen any whole show of his).

FWIW, Andy Griffith appears in this Youtube Poop: DBeOA-ZsWYk

That said, I wonder if people sometime down the road will wonder who the hell Strong Bad, Miku Hatsune, and Justin Timberlake are.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Does this mean that all Holocaust deniers have to do is wait 50 or so years?

Well, that would explain why people don't seem to appreciate collective bargaining rights and basic environmental legislation.

• Stuff like this is precisely why I'm a history major. For everyone who sees this, shakes their head, says they don't want to live on this planet anymore...I just nod and think "This is why history matters." 

Learn as much as you can, start early...and you can avoid most of these embarrassing sorts of knowledge gaps.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

Dick Who? Griffith what?

• Er, I suppose I should add the disclaimer that my views apply most directly to Americans. 

I also don't believe that Americans who really want to claim to understand the world are exempt from having reasonable knowledge of important figures from other countries. I certainly try my best.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

"People not knowing about the Titanic probably says more about gaps in the education system than gaps between generations," Lamb said. "But Dick Clark's death does expose that the cultural touch-points we take for granted aren't familiar everywhere."

I think this needs to be taken into consideration.

The rest of the stuff is stupid, but not honestly that stupid. Reminds me of that one time I saw someone advocating lynching this one kid who didn't know who John Lennon was. People get so worked up over this kind of thing. It's dumb, yes, but it is not that dumb. Few things are.

• You're saying I should stop killing people who don't know The Beatles?

Yes, generally.

• Probably should hide all the bodies before anyone notices.

I honestly cannot help but feel that the Beatles have become rather unfairly insulated from all criticism.

They were undoubtably a very good and very influential band, but there seems to be a general attitude that *everything they ever did* was that good and that influential. Which is....wrong, imo. 

• edited 2012-07-04 06:53:42

I already did that of course, I'm not some kind of crazy idiot.

And for sure not everything they did was that good, no artist is like that.

I remember a few years ago some music blog got absolutely blasted because they did a retrospective review of one of their albums (I think Rubber Soul) and "only" gave it a 9/10

• You can change. You can.

To be perfectly frank, while I like the Beatles, I don't think they ever did an album as consistently good as Abbey Road because it didn't try to be unique ore revolutionary. It just worried about being damn good.

• edited 2012-07-04 07:19:52

What bugs me even more is that they're asking about this stuff on Twitter when Google is a couple keystrokes away. It reminds me of this:

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/how_google_failed_internet_meme.php

Also, what are these people paying attention to if they don't know who Paul McCartney is?

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Also, what are these people paying attention to if they don't know who Paul McCartney is?

Twilight.

• edited 2012-07-04 07:23:15

Justin Bieber and his current ilk. At least Gotye sorta sounds like Sting.

I don't understand why people hate Justin Bieber.

He just seems to be the go-to punching bag. 

I think it's still mostly that people hate his music and he sounds really effeminate (which is apparently a bad thing. Could've fooled me), but it doesn't help that he seems to be a douchebag as well.

He's not a douchebag. He's just not the prissy effeminate poof people expect him to be, so he gets called one.

Frankly, he can sing pretty well considering his age, and he knows Raekwon, how bad can he possibly be?

Also he's where the "u jelly" meme comes from. Which is the best thing. 

I listened to Justin Bieber sing, once.

It was surprisingly...mediocre.  Neither extremely awesome nor extremely disastrous.

• edited 2012-07-04 08:05:28

^^ He knows Raekwon, but doesn't know Germany:

And I dislike anybody who uses the word "shawty". It's a matter of course.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

We should really leave the guy alone, I mean, it's more of a dead horse than Twilight now...

Wasn't this thread about the disconnect between generations through entertainment and past/current events?