If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

People calling the upcoming Tomb Raider misogynist.

Comments

• edited 2012-06-20 22:03:16
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

GUNSGUNSGUNSSPACEMARINESGUNS.

Well, look at Master Chief, Marcus Fenix and...whatever the main character from generic Modern Warfare clone du jour is called. They are physically different, despite all being pretty much interchangeable.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Well, on par, what I see when it comes to sex appeal are hypermasculine men with exploding abs and hypersexualized women with exploding tits and asses.  Well, not literally exploding, but you know what I mean.  Besides this, there are also men that are more clothed, and some women as well.

And the reason FF games appeal to girls isn't just the handsome prettyboys; there's also a lot of shipping fuel in it, and for better or worse there are a lot of girls into shipping.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-06-20 22:20:16

I'm frankly tired of everyone being either unnaturally beautiful realdolls in skimpy clothes, unnaturally endowed realdolls in skimpy clothes, uncannily androgynous realdolls in skimpy clothes, or hulked-out Liefeld roid-ragers.

I'd rather see either more naturalistic designs or more stylized and cartoony ones instead of making every character an extension of someone's sex drive or testosterone overload.  It's one of the main reasons I usually play nonhuman characters when possible.

(And even then it can get pretty ridiculous -- I mean draenei managed to hit three of the four above between the genders...)

• Definitely not gay.

Sorta reminds me of people giving Other M flak for making Samus frightened despite it actually being an accurate portrayal of PTSD.

It's just that it has inconsistencies with her portrayal in other games. 

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-06-21 14:30:37

The whole "unexpectedly accurate to PTSD" thing reminds me of scarlet emeralds in The Eye of Argon.  Against all odds it is indeed a thing, but given how atrociously insipid the rest of the story is I can't help but feel like they probably didn't know that and just tried to throw it in for hamfisted dramatic purposes.

• edited 2012-06-21 18:32:40

"While it'd no doubt good to have more female characters and greater diversity among them, there's no reason a person of one gender can't identify with a character of another gender. Given that a lot of anime/JRPG male protagonists lack the hypermasculinity so common in Western male protagonists, female members of the audience might feel a lot more comfortable with them as an avatar of themselves. That's just speculation, though."

This is where Occam's Razor comes in handy. It's more like girls have so few people of their own gender to identify with, and a lot of guys are averse to identifying with the opposite gender. I personally wouldn't mind having more female characters to identify with, which is why I'm always so disappointed that the girl who features so prominently on the front cover ends up being just another secondary character.

I frequently identify with female characters.

I also identify with male characters.  I'm not gender-specific in this regard at all.

• There's something I've noticed about women in games, or rather the discussion of women in games: for all the talk of thin, buxom women in impossibly skimpy outfits, the examples they cite about this tend to come exclusively from fighting games, Dead or Alive in particular, which is weird to me, because:

a): I thought fighting games had become a relatively niche genre compared to shooters and MMOs.

b): In terms of gaming as a whole, I'm not sure this represents a broad stroke.
  • I'm a damn twisted person

Okay, then from gaming as a whole pull out... oh say ten counter examples. 

• edited 2012-06-21 22:50:32
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Fighting games have it worst.

MMOs are probably a close second.

Shooters don't have it because a lot of them don't really bother with women existing.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

I frequently identify with female characters.

I also identify with male characters.  I'm not gender-specific in this regard at all.

Is it a bad thing that when you said "shooters" I thought shmups?

• RPG's are pretty bad about it too.  I mean, there's a reason I made Rikku a full-time white mage.

Does the FF series officially have a three-female-protagonists rule?

I put FFX-2 pretty firmly in the 'sexploitation' category.

• Seems like it's always one perky girl, one serious girl, and one drama magnet girl.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

sexploitation

either i'm really blind to fanservice but i always thought if you avoid the hot springs the game is pretty tame

• Why did you remind me of the hot springs, wings?

Why?

^^^Well, FF really recycles archetypes for both men a females.

• edited 2012-06-22 00:08:32
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

perky girl - Porom

serious girl - Rydia?

drama girl - Rosa?

perky girl - Cara?

serious girl - Faris

drama girl - Lenna

perky girl - Relm

serious girl - Celes? Terra?

drama girl - Terra? Celes?

perky girl - Yuffie

serious girl - Tifa?

drama girl - Aeris

• perky girl - Selphie

serious girl - Quistis

drama girl - Rinoa

perky girl - Eiko

serious girl - Freya

drama girl - Dagger

perky girl - Rikku

serious girl - Lulu

drama girl - Yuna

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-06-22 01:46:11

I'm pretty sure you don't have to spoiler Faris.  I mean you find out within like half an hour.

It's like spoilering that killing Garland at the beginning of the game isn't the end of the game.

Perky - Both Rikku and Yuna

Serious - Paine

Drama - Both Yuna and Paine

Perky - Penelo

Serious - Fran

Drama - Ashe

Perky - Vanille?

Serious - Lightning, Fang

Drama - Vanille

I'd say it's 

Perky- Vanille

Serious - Lightning, Fang

Drama - Lightning

But Vanille is the main character and most of the drama concerns her and not Lightning.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Vanille is the main character

I... would hesitate to call anyone the main character. Lightning has easily the same amount of screen time and motivation as Vanille does.

But Vanille is narrator and has ties to the backstory.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Fang also has ties to the backstory. And Lightning has ties to the... actual story. You know, the one that you're actually playing through. And the game revolves around for 90% of its play-time.

But Vanille also has ties to the actual story, and Fang is out due to being not-narrator or having any ties to the main story aside from having a thing for Vanille and/or Lightning.

And. Definitely and.

Lightning has much stronger ties to the main plot, that of Serah and such.

Look, the very fact that we're able to have this debate should show you that this isn't as clear-cut as it appeared. Vanille is the narrator and has ties to both the backstory and the main story, but Lightning has as much if not more screen time, is tied closer to the main story, and plays a very relevant role in the overall mythos of the series, including XIII-2.

You can make a case for Vanille being the main character, but you can make a similar case for Lightning.