If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

There aren't that many animesque works with setting or stories atypical for that style of art

2»

Comments

• There is love everywhere, I already know

not Heartcatch.

Heartcatch was great, Suite was great, Smile is neither bad nor good. It's like warm flavourless pudding that I still enjoy greatly.

• B-b-but...  Yayoi!

• There is love everywhere, I already know

^ Yayoi, Akane, Reika and Akaoni VS Everything Else

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

Detroit Metal City is hilarious.

• edited 2012-05-27 11:18:46

^^ Well... yeah, okay, pretty much.

In any case...

A good recent harem...tough one.

OreImo?  Or is that not recent enough?  Or not harem enough?

In either case, Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko was pretty good.

Nisemonogatari was pretty good even if it wasn't as good as Bakemonogatari.

I had forgotten Nisemonogatari! Thanks. But I cannot vouch for Oreimo or Denpa Onna, haven't watched either.

• Glennmagusharvey: So you would only want medieval stories if they had anime trappings such as animation and a more "current" soundtrack?

Then why would you want a medieval story in the first place? Why isn't the work as it is good enough for you?

• Kichigai birthday!!

OreImo?  Or is that not recent enough?  Or not harem enough?

No, it's not good enough

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

>Detroit Metal City?

>Of course it sucks, but hey, it is anime about a metal band.

Bitch I will cut you.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

You can leave that one to the expert, Malk. 

METAL FANS! ASSEMBLE!

• Has friends besides tanks now
    I would join the assembly, but I haven't seen DMC yet. I realize, now, that I'm kind of obligated, though.
  • You can change. You can.

hey you don't get to steal my phrase!

• edited 2012-05-27 23:52:56

• probably human

Spice and Wolf is a pretty decent show about Medieval European trade stuff. I can't remember what the music is like, though.

• a little muffled

Star Driver discussion: It's a mecha show, and a decent show, but I really wouldn't call it a good mecha show given that the mecha fights were the worst part of it and the slice-of-life parts were what made it worth watching.

@Actual thread topic: I have to agree with not understanding why you would want modern music in a show about medieval times or whatever, but I do agree that more variety in anime and such would be nice.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Putting modern music in a medieval show makes no less sense to me than watching a medieval show on a tv or computer.
  • They're somethin' else.

^ again, you guys have obviously never played the Ys series.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
  • But you never had any to begin with.
    Accel World (Annoying Harem)

So far, 4 named female characters have shown up. Of those, one is the main character's girlfriend, one has a boyfriend, one tried to murder him, and one he can't even remember.

That's kind of an odd harem.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I should have written a "Discuss." at the end of my post.  Anyway...

[MadassAlex] Instrumentation, phrasing and arrangement are all key, and more isn't necessarily better. One of the things I think make the bagpipes (of whichever variant you like) such a great solo instrument/aural weapon is its drone, which provides a little harmonic context to whatever it's playing; a bagpipe can fill a little or a lot of space depending on how it's used, which is impressive for an instrument played one tone at a time. Violins make excellent compliment instruments as they very naturally come to the same lilting style of melody. Throw in a cello and a double bass and you've got everything you need for a versatile array of Celtic tunes.

Actually, I'd love to see more music that's used not because of superficial cultural association (e.g. "Asian jingle" for China, double-harmonic scale for the Middle East, bagpipes for Scotland), but used for emotional association (slow organ, harpsichord, and drums in C minor for a desolate Mayincatec "temple of doom" obscured in torch-lit darkness and complete with deathtraps).

[Juan] Personally, I prefer my music to fit the mood and the character. Having rock music in a time where the concept didn't even exist kinda ruins that feel. Of course, by that logic, sweeping orchestras shouldn't be in medieval times either, but it's closer to that time's music.

Not that much closer; if we're talking about, say, the 1300s, then you're talking music from the 1800s versus music from the 1900s.

[Bee]Really, I'd just be happy with more anime that doesn't boil down to DBZ ripoffs, Pokemon ripoffs, Sailor Moon ripoffs, giant mechas, or sophomoric harem fantasies.

That's why I have stuff like Taishou Baseball Girls (historical fiction, to some extent) and Moyashimon (a guy can talk to microbes) in my to-watch list.

[INUH]He does, but every aspect of the series bears more resemblance to magical girl shows than to mecha shows.

So basically, reverse Nanoha?

[vandro]I said mecha shows don't have set characterisitics other than the mecha.

Well, to be fair, mecha shows do tend to have a certain set of conventions to go along with them.  For example, block-looking mechs are par for the course, as are battles between them, using human-like motions, and piloted by humans, and stuff like that.  As well as a focus on said battles.

Instead, if you had giant robots that were more rounded in shape, and were used for rescue missions rather than combat...yes, they'd still be mecha but it would be more unusual.

[fourteenwings]Just to count, this season has:

* Accel World (Annoying Harem)
        * Acchi Koichi (None)
        * AKB0048 (None)
        * Bakutech! Bakugan (Mon)
        * Beyblade Zero G (Counts as Mon i guess)
        * Eureka Seven AO (Giant mecha because it's a sequel)
        * Fate/zero (None)
        * Kickoff the Galaxy (None)
        * Nyarlko (Harem I guess)
        * Scarlet Fragment (None)
        * Hyouka (None)
        * Jormungand (None)
        * Kimi To Boku (None)
        * Zombie Of The Dead (Harem)
        * Kurono Basket (None)
        * Lupin III A Woman Called Fujiko Mine(Sequel)
        * Medaka Box (None)
        * Natsuiro Kiseki (None)
        * Mysterious Girlfriend (Harem)
        * OZMA (None)
        * Pretty Rythm (Sequel)
        * Queen's Blade (None)
        * Rock Lee's Springtime of Youth (None)
        * Saint Seiya Omega (Shonen sequel, NOT DBZ-ish)
        * Sakamichi no Apollon (None)
        * Saki Side A (None)
        * Sankarea (Harem)
        * Sengoku Collection (None)
        * Shining Hearts (None)
        * Shirokuma Cafe (None)
        * Dusk Maiden of Amnesia (Harem?)
        * tsuritama (None)
        * Space Brothers (None)
        * Zetman (None)

And only a handful count as what you mentioned.

What about counting shows in terms of market or audience share?

[DYRE]Detroit Metal City?

Adding to my watch list.

Not a big heavy metal fan, but I would still like to see it.  I enjoyed the production/management side of Idolmaster, after all.

[Kraken]Glennmagusharvey: So you would only want medieval stories if they had anime trappings such as animation and a more "current" soundtrack?

Then why would you want a medieval story in the first place? Why isn't the work as it is good enough for you?

I think it's that I'm not really a "period piece" person.  I have to be specifically in the mood for, say, a story set in Medieval Europe to go and enjoy something like this, and at other times, the story doesn't have as much to hook me in and then make me engrossed in it.

For example, I might be hooked in initially by the plot of this movie (based on my guess from watching it for twenty minutes) for its focus on politics, intrigue, and war.  But the largely unfamiliar setting, the thickness of the accent (which makes it harder for me to understand what's going on when lines are muttered for emotional effect), and general style of the presentation make it less likely for me to become engrossed in it emotionally by, say, feeling an emotional resonance with a character or set of characters.

I think this problem is related to my not really liking the pacing of movies in general.  Stuff in them happens too fast--there's too little time for me to become emotionally invested in the plot or characters.

Maybe I might more enjoy something like a historical TV series, such as the Rome series.

[dmboogie]Spice and Wolf is a pretty decent show about Medieval European trade stuff. I can't remember what the music is like, though.

Probably generic anime soundtrack fare, which is decent and kinda up my alley.  I haven't watched it yet though.  That said, it IS on my watchlist.