If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Moe Anthropomorphism

edited 2012-05-03 13:52:56 in General
They're somethin' else.

if you dig deep enough, or if you maybe take a swig or five as you observe, it may seem clever. But for the most part, it's just so bland, lazy, cheap and interchangeable. I mean, if you can make video game consoles, software, spaceships, and even historical figures symbolized by japanese cartoon jailbait, then well fuck, at least make it LOOK like the thing you're symbolizing.

Comments

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur
  • They're somethin' else.

@ Moe eastern philosophers: You see, that. That is exactly what I'm talking about. If they didn't have the philosopher's name pasted on there, I'd never be able to fucking guess who those are meant to be. I could just switch Satre and Camus around, and no one would be none the wiser.

@ Alan Moe: ... That almost makes sense. Again, if I were drunk :P

• Kichigai birthday!!

They made -tans out of everything. My favourites are Hinomoto Oniko, based on a racial slur and Green Dam Girl, based in a Chinese content control software

• edited 2012-05-03 14:26:13
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Lol, I thought those were K-On characters momentarily.

And what I know of Heidegger is that he's a big fat doofus in Final Fantasy VII.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

I still can't wrap my head around why Spinoza is showing his her panties.

• Schitzo - In fairness, the real Nietschze had a massive walrus moustache and Descartes looked pretty unappealing even by 17th century standards. You'd struggle to make them moe and look anything like the real people.

• I'm a damn twisted person

@Moe personifications - this whole discussion is like people railing against airplane literature or summer blockbusters or generic shooters. Yes they are bland, unoriginal and everywhere. And they aren't going anywhere until they become unprofitable. 

• They're somethin' else.

Well, Alky, why is this forum even here?

For petty and banal complaints. Just preferably ones that haven't had the gripe --> explanation/speculation --> peanut gallery -->wacko opinion -->gripe cycle repeated ad nauseum before. 

• You can change. You can.

It always amuses me that the minute someone says that a complaint is unnecessary, they all point to the forum's name as if it necessarily referred to its nature

also, spinoza's panties are proof of god. 

sorry, i just had to.

i'll just go to my corner.

• edited 2012-05-03 16:14:27
    Yes they are bland, unoriginal and everywhere. And they aren't going anywhere until they become unprofitable.

Profitable? Wait, how many people actually make a living out of this?

• Has friends besides tanks now

^ Well, there's also Nyaruko, off the top of my head.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Oh japan, you crazy motherfuckers 

To quote the comments under that article of Milos.

• @Everest: Oh yeah, that. I'm not familiar with this stuff beyond Hetalia.

Also, there's an official one for Ultraman, oddly enough. Apparently she's a girl who gained Ultraman's powers after being resurrected by him.

• I still like that one where made cockroaches moe.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I'm still waiting on moe anthropomorphisations of historical swordmasters. 

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Pretty sure there some doujin out there with moe Miyamoto Musashi, if you mean western swordmasters, then I'm only slightly sure.

• I actually love moe anthropomorphism. Nothing is serious when it's adorable.

I still want a moe steven spielberg

• edited 2012-05-03 21:06:15
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

^^^ The manga Knights had non-moe interpretations of some of the German masters, which were certainly very goofy and a lot of fun. 

• edited 2012-05-03 21:32:15
    A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

Saint Young Men isn't moe either, but I still think it's worth mentioning.

It's a comedy manga about Jesus and Buddha sharing a Tachikawa apartment because they're both on vacation in the land of the mortals. Jesus is a carefree ditz who treats all his disciples (yes, even Judas) like high school buddies, and runs a blog where he reviews the drama shows he's been watching on TV lately. Buddha is the more rational and level-headed deity who is always trying to keep Jesus in check, and he has become an Osamu Tezuka fan ever since he first read, well, Buddha.

• That Alan Moe didn't make sense at all. It didn't even have his beard.

>his beard

>Implying Alan Moore has a beard and not an ecosystem.

• Well, whatever you call the forest attached to his face.

The Alan Moore Experience is the correct term as of 2009.

• edited 2012-05-04 09:09:49

Profitable? Wait, how many people actually make a living out of this?

Also, there's approximately ten zillion anime/manga series about moe versions of historical figures from Japan's Sengoku era or Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

Strike Witches has moe anthropomorphizations of WW2 airplanes.  Sort of.

Upotte!! is about assault rifles that happen to look and function exactly like schoolgirls.

...and lots of other examples.

• edited 2012-05-04 09:09:13
    Diet NEET
  • Kichigai birthday!!

You can't link to Tv Tropes here, rehost it in imgur