If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Express your individuality by buying our brandname!

Comments

• "What would be the point in creating something you never get to experience yourself? Altruism is fine and all, but the fundamental truth is that self-satisfaction is the root of all human behavior."

Oh, folk sociology bullshit, how I love your omnipresence.

Even after people die, their legacy lives on to shape the future. I'd think life is pretty worthless if you're not trying to leave a positive impact with your legacy.

• Even after people die, their legacy lives on to shape the future. I'd think life is pretty worthless if you're not trying to leave a positive impact with your legacy.

Only if you're lucky. Unless you're one of the really, really, really famous names, you'll be forgotten within two generations. The best you could reasonably hope for is to be someone mentioned in some history or science textbook, and then forgotten about as soon as the class moves to the next chapter.

While I don't want to descend into outright hedonism, I just don't see any point in working towards a legacy if you yourself won't be able to see its effects. While I do ultimately want to do good, I don't want to spend a lifetime of hard work if I can't experience its reward.

"Immortality through legacy" is probably the biggest bullshit in the history of ever, really. You'll be immortal in the eyes of others, but that doesn't change the fact that you, personally, will be dead.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Actually, when it comes to pure survivalism, human co-operation is one of our most natural and beneficial special traits. This implies that a certain level of altruism comes naturally to human beings, although this can certainly be trained out of someone in the right kind of context. 

• edited 2012-04-25 23:38:58

^Sounds plausible, but any sort of evo-psych explanation tends to be hokey, so I try to avoid it if possible.

^^You don't do things for an external reward. You do things because such things are rewards in themselves. If you're always seeking external validation, you'll be chasing that forever. (for some reason, I feel we've had this conversation before) 

• edited 2012-04-25 23:57:23

You don't do things for an external reward. You do things because such things are rewards in themselves. If you're always seeking external validation, you'll be chasing that forever.

I've honestly never been able to feel that sort of motivation before. I've never felt anything more than discomfort from doing anything productive, just from the external validation that comes afterward. I work hard not because I enjoy it, but because I enjoy what I get from it.

The whole "hard work is its own reward" mentality is so baffling to me that I might as well be trying to read the Necronomicon. Is it just that they happen to enjoy things that are productive the same way I enjoy unproductive things?

• edited 2012-04-26 03:04:35
    Hard work isn't it's own reward. If so, why do we always seek profit for our labors?

Rather, hard work is but one reward of itself. Because we will always need something to do.

And honestly, I'm perfectly fine with dying without a legacy. Look at how many legends we have already, and how many thousands break and bend themselves to become a foolish, unattainable ideal.

No. I shall cast no shadow on this earth after I die. Let us become our own heroes, instead of becoming yesterday's dead paragon.

Let me be remembered by those I love for today, for one night only. And then let me be forgotten.

All for one and one for all, you shall be my knights of the Round Table, for honour, glory and courage ect.

• Ergo, parody logos and cheap imitation brands from which you rip the logos and sew them onto something else are the way to go. It doesn't mean anything with regards to agency and such, but it probably nets you sweller bros than people who fawn at brands based on expensiveness.

• edited 2012-04-26 04:12:17
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

Also, there's an advertisement running on TV that's particularly brazen right now. 

It basically tells the audience that Australian banks are "stealing" billions of dollars a year by not giving high enough interest rates, so of course you should sign up with them

• "Immortality through legacy" is probably the biggest bullshit in the history of ever, really.

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" - Woody Allen.

Unfortunately, the second option is only available to you if one or other of the major religions is true, which no-one can prove, and you happen to have met its criteria for immortality. If not, you'd better reconcile yourself to mortality. It has to be said, though, that without people who liked the idea of living on through their legacy, humanity would have achieved much less. It may be one of those necessary lies.  

• No rainbow star
    ^ Well, technically, immortality by living forever could also happen

The thing is, you don't know whether or not you've succeeded until you die
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Immortality through living forever would be great...up until you got stuck somewhere.

• On one of Gulliver's Travels that doesn't usually make the film/TV/expurgated kid's book versions, Gulliver visits an island where some people live for ever, and they explain how much this sucks.

Partly the problem is that they outlive their friends and family, partly that they still age, so they live forever as really old people.

• probably human

Immortality would be awesome if you could end it whenever you wanted.

• I'm a damn twisted person

Or just have the ability to edit your memories. 

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Or hibernate. Or teleport.

Personally, I'd like the ability to fly. 

• I don't think anyone is honestly silly enough to buy a brand of clothing to assert their individuality. I mean, when I ask people why they wear brand X, they always say "Cos I like it."

Also, it's always amusing to hear the 'individuality' line, since they're essentially telling people that nobody buys their clothing.

• You can change. You can.

I'm more of a fan of super-speed.

• Back in Black

I'd prefer the ability to shoot energy beams. 

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Mind-reading is where it's at.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Gotta go with tele-frag free teleporting.

• Back in Black

Well, I suppose it would depend on what you're allowed to get as an upper-limit.

I grew up rather enamored with Spider Man, but push coming to shove, I think I'd most like to be Iron Man.  Best combination of overall role, powers, and social life.  :D

• ^Don't forget alcoholism.

• edited 2012-04-26 19:46:05
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

push coming to shove, I think I'd most like to be Iron Man.  Best combination of overall role, powers, and social life

Yup, gotta love dat locking legit heroes in the negative zone

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

The reason why I'd like mind-reading is because what I believe the world needs the most at this time is truth. If everybody knew the real truth about all major things going on in the world, so much would be better than it is now, as most of the bad things that go on are supported by institutionalized lies or half-truths. If I could read the minds of certain people, I could spread the truth across the world.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Man, wouldn't that become totally awkward for any pretty people...

I don't think USAF actually knows what Tony Stark is up to these days, for what is worth. And I think the whole Civil Way debacle has been undone by now. Granted, I don't keep up with Marvel, but the fact that nobody gives Peter any shit about his secret identity seems to mean...something.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I don't keep up with Marvel, but the fact that nobody gives Peter any shit about his secret identity seems to mean...something.

One More Day actually erased those events from happening :p

but what does it mean, nova

what does it all mean