If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"This is not a gamer girl"

edited 2012-03-06 16:40:00 in General
They're somethin' else.

Okay, I'm all for calling fronting phonies out on their shit, but
1. If you're going to mention the Legend Of Zelda, please have the common sense to make that thing NOT an XBOX 360 controller
2. Pretty girls and girls with good hygiene can play just as well as any other gamer, male or female. This just reeks of No True Scotsman.
3. Generic Cuteness. Yeah, shoot me.

Comments

• While I have issues with the image, the Xbox 360 controller and the mention of legend of zelda is not one of them. 

• You can change. You can.

I don't see how the second girl is ugly, which is obviously what the image tried to convey. Honestly, the implication that liking or caring about videogames is somehow bad and always leads to obsession bothers me far more.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur
    Bullshit. I know quite a few smoking hot girls that also happen to be giant nerds. And, like Juan said, I don't see how is the second girl supposed to be ugly.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.

Slut-shaming ect ect. 

Honestly, I thought it was trying to make gamer girls endearing. 

• ^^ It's obvious how the second girl is supposed to be ugly.  She has messy hair and bags under her eyes.  The problem is that she isn't drawn in a way that makes that actually look ugly.

• edited 2012-03-06 17:13:58

Edit: Nevermind. Wrong panel.

• edited 2012-03-06 17:14:31
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

1. I didn't even notice the bags under the eyes.

2. The person at the top is not a gamer girl NOT because she has lipstick or because she's wearing something with spaghetti straps, but rather because she is kissing a controller while looking like Betty Boop.  This is NOT the behavior of a gamer, male or female.  This is the behavior of someone trying to pose with a controller.

3. I also didn't notice that that's an XBox 360 controller.  That said, one could have connected that to a computer, and used the controller to play a Zelda game on an emulator.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Both of those are way too small to be any kind of XBox controller. 

Jus' saiyan. 

• Wai image not work?

Also relevant, perhaps:

Vid bothers me because it only picks generic cuties instead of also mixing in plain peeps.

• >image won't load

>website for image won't load.

>Google Cache backup of website for image won't load

>:(

• You can change. You can.

Seems it was deleted.

I can see it fine.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

tada etc shut up now

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I can see it fine.

You'd have it cached.

• edited 2012-03-06 20:01:54

^^Why the heck would you choose such a negative stereotype to reinforce your community? Normal people find the notion of "gaming over showers" repulsive.

• Because apparently, anyone who plays games must be grimy shut-ins with bad hygiene no matter what their gender is. Or else they aren't considered real gamers. Or something.

• Ach so. I hoped it would raise the valid point of only cute dudettes being used in gamer girl emancipation stuff(and thus conforming in some manner to gamer girl objectification), but apparently it doesn't.

• "Slut-shaming ect ect. "

This.  Also, the «make fun of a girl who puts her controller in her mouth in a misguided attempt to be «sexy»» thing is far less annoying than the Overly Long Gag nature of the backlash on tumblr.  The first image of someone pretending to eat their controller was moderately amusing.  The one-hundredth is far more stupid than what it mocks.

• I'm a damn twisted person

It's obvious how the second girl is supposed to be ugly.  She has messy hair and bags under her eyes. 

It's a bit harsh to say that having messy hair or bags under their eyes is supposed to make a person look ugly alone. All it really says is that they don't care too much about grooming at the moment and are tired.

^ Yep. Not to mention that most girls, if choosing to spend the day simply chilling out at home, have looking like they're fresh off the runway as the least of their concerns. Real life's not Hollywood, and women don't sleep with makeup on.
  • edited 2012-03-08 02:20:31
    They're somethin' else.

WRONG THREAD LOL

• ^^^^ So women putting controllers in their mouth was a thing on Tumblr? Jesus.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

^ whut

• edited 2012-03-08 14:18:47
    Diet NEET

Turned off Safesearch, enough hits to make it a fetish. Wiimotes seem to be the most popular controller for insertion. Sorta predictable.

• For me it's more like "I'll put on clothes when Hyrule is free" after the shower.

• edited 2012-03-15 07:21:25

^^Why the heck would you choose such a negative stereotype to reinforce your community? Normal people find the notion of "gaming over showers" repulsive.

Because the writers probably fit into the negative stereotype and want the bottom girl to represent them.

• If you go into nothing-but-gaming-mode(except for food and sleep), a Zelda game can easily be finished in 2.5-3 days in the worst of cases. Assuming she doesn't leave the house in the meantime(and has showered/stocked up on supplies beforehand), it doesn't really matter that much anyway. Binge sittings aren't limited to gaming, and no-one bats an eyelash at the far grosser straight-to-work-after-a-night-of-partying with only deodorant and a splash of water as clean-up.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Or, for that matter, binging on homework.

• «^^^^ So women putting controllers in their mouth was a thing on Tumblr? Jesus.»

No, it was mostly men.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

^Part of why I have a hard time seeing the 'gurl gamer' thing as a genuine phenomenon and more a couple of isolated incidents overblown by bitter /v/irgins.