If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"This is not a gamer girl"

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Q: What is a girl gamer?

A: A gamer who happens to be female.  Or a girl who happens to play games.

• ^^Same here. I've never actually seen it happen, but I hear people talk about it all the time. When I noticed people complaining about "girl gamers" my first reaction was "Wait, what? What's wrong with girls liking video games?" but apparently it's this whole thing I've never even been aware of.

• It's obvious that guy gamers don't look at themselves in the mirror since most of the time, the attention whoring projected onto girl gamers are far more common in guys.

• law of silence

I've always disliked the term "gamer girl" and its connotations. Being a girl who plays video games does not make you special.

• edited 2012-03-17 15:50:14
    You can change. You can.

Q: What is a girl gamer?

A miserable little pile of stereotypes created by insecure male nerds

• edited 2012-03-17 18:42:44
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    How about just being a person who likes vidya without bringing gender in it?
  • edited 2012-03-17 18:27:05
    You can change. You can.

I don't think there's vidya with agendered characters. Yet.

• a little muffled

Many Pokémon are genderless.

• You can change. You can.

go away, partypooper

• "How about just being a person who likes vidya without gender in it?"

But you see, it's not right for a woman to game. Soon she starts getting ideas, thinking, having an opinion, writing blog posts questioning the status quo....

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    On a similar note I dislike the use of the term 'femshep' unless you also use 'dudeshep' or 'broshep'.
  • a little muffled

I've certainly seen "MaleShep".

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

Some pretty good discussion going on ITT.

Gamers marginalize pretty women who play videogames because it makes them feel challenged and underpriveleged

^^I just don't like the 'male is tabula rasa' attitude behind just calling male shephard 'shep'
  • edited 2012-03-17 18:56:01

"Gamers marginalize pretty women who play videogames because it makes them feel challenged and underpriveleged"

Pretty has little to do with it when you're looking for a sexism excuse.

What I really hate and find perplexing is the double standard of gaming editorials. A woman writing about sexism in gaming: "Shun the overly offended feminazi who dares suggest we think about our games!" A man writing something similar: "Hail the wise sage who dares suggest we think about our games!"

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

"Roger Ebert is an old fart! What does he know? Games are already art!"

-buy Modern Warfare 3 in record numbers, heap critical acclaim reserved for monumentally great games upon Mass Effect 3 and Battlefield 3, encourage blatant sexism, racism, and homophobia while pretending to be progressive-

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ME3 was pretty damn good.

And I'd argue that modern warfare 3 and battlefield 3 are under th definition of art. Just not good art.

>What I really hate and find perplexing is the double standard of gaming editorials. A woman writing about sexism in gaming: "Shun the overly offended feminazi who dares suggest we think about our games!" A man writing something similar: "Hail the wise sage who dares suggest we think about our games!"

What even further perplexes me is that the male ones are almost always more vicious and angry whereas the female ones are more 'let's work together to solve a problem.' There are deviations, but you'd figure the more mature discourse would get better reception.

Also, this thread could do with less strawmanning and more actual points, Mr. Limbaugh.

What I really hate and find perplexing is the double standard of gaming editorials. A woman writing about sexism in gaming: "Shun the overly offended feminazi who dares suggest we think about our games!" A man writing something similar: "Hail the wise sage who dares suggest we think about our games!"

This is actually a result of people's general assumption that if a person does something, he/she is presumed to be in it for personal gain unless that something isn't an obvious source of personal gain.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    >mass effect

>not monumentally great

Also, I don't think being bad precludes something from being art. There's plenty of terrible art out there.

On a similar note I dislike the use of the term 'femshep' unless you also use 'dudeshep' or 'broshep'.

I've seen dudeshep and maleshep and broshep quite a bit. I usually just see Shepard referred to as "Shepard," regardless of gender though, but whatever.

But maleshep is the one on the game box and in the trailers. It's not some horrible sexist thing that people see him as the default because of that.

And only something like 18% of players play as femshep anyway, so it's not like she's the norm.
    "But maleshep is the one on the game box and in the trailers."

They fixed that for 3.
  • if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Most gamers are male, and males prefer using male avatars because of immersion. And when they use female ones, it's usually because of hot polygonal ass, which is also sexist. So it's kind of expectable that most (male) gamers think of male Shepard as the default.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    ^^ I know. But for the first four or five years that Mass Effect was a thing, Guyshep was in all the ads. That's a long time.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

And there are times when you need to differentiate between the two genders, like when you're talking about romances.

But maleshep is the one on the game box and in the trailers. It's not some horrible sexist thing that people see him as the default because of that.

I'd argue that the fact that he was the one on the game box and trailers and not female shephard is "some horrible sexist thing"

He was probably concepted first, and thus showed up on the box art.

And then, because he was on the box art, maleshep became the default.

• edited 2012-03-17 21:19:02
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    ^^^ That too.

^^ I disagree, but I have a headache and I don't feel like getting into this, so I'm just going to back out now.

>And only something like 18% of players play as femshep anyway, so it's not like she's the norm

I don't see how that's relevant. Shepherd is (ideally) designed so that she could be either gender with no affact either way so no matter what treating either as the default has sexist implications.

I think the problem was that bioware didn't figure out a non-confusing way to do both until 3.

I find it odd to call ME specifically sexist when most series just throw you into either a male character or a female character meant to seduce male players.

^^ I disagree, but I have a headache and I don't feel like getting into this, so I'm just going to back out now.

Just for the record, I'm not saying that the art should have only featured Male Shephard, but simply that if one of your game's selling points is that you can design your character's characteristics, to the way he acts in terms of the story, including their gender, therefore it follows that both female and male shepherd would show up on the marketing material.