If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Some Manga Fans Can Be Such Morons At Times.

2»

Comments

• So, is the OP bugged by this actual promotion, or by those comments on Crunchyroll he linked to?

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

My issue with this is that it's just a crappy deal. A manga volume is higher content than a comic issue.

• Has friends besides tanks now

Unless it's Bleach, in which case it's mostly white backgrounds.

Well, actually, the first volume was surprisingly high-content. Kubo had a good idea at first.

• Woki mit deim Popo.

^^ So what, I've seen Korean comics that, in general, have more polished artwork and more coherent plots.

What do you mean "so what"? The equation is clear. If a manga volume has greater content than a comic issue, then trading a manga volume for a comic issue results in a net loss of content. It doesn't matter if Korean comics are better or worse on average, or any comics for that matter. I'm not making any value judgements here; this is a matter of quantity.

• Woki mit deim Popo.

That's one criticism about the manga industry.  The industry seems more keen on quantity over quality.  Of course, that's because a lot manga is weekly.  Monthly or biweekly series tend to have superior draftmanship.

• You can change. You can.

It's not necessarily a bad deal if you want to try DC's New 52 and get the first issues. --shrug--

Especially if you have useless manga to burn.

On the other hand, it's a pretty two-faced kind of deal. They'll resell that manga at nearly 100% profit, with their only loss being the comparatively tiny cost of the New 52 issue.

• You can change. You can.

wait, how much are they costing each?

Not sure, but around these parts, a manga costs at least twice as much as an issue of a Western comic. More often, though, a manga will be three or even four times the cost. I assume this represents the general way of things.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Here a volume of manga costs I think around four times as much as an issue of a Western comic, on average.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^Over hear a western comic costs around $2.50, while a volume of manga costs $7.50 or more.

• edited 2012-01-19 07:34:59
    Has friends besides tanks now

Only $7.50? Are you talking just comic shops, or national chains too? I rarely see manga sell for that little, and if so, then it's probably not a new volume (which also means it's not a national store, like Barnes and Noble). More often, they seem to be going for around $10-$13 nowadays.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

I've never seen manga go for less than ten anywhere other than amazon.

• edited 2012-01-19 07:36:09
    Has friends besides tanks now

Never? A while ago, Shonen Jump volumes were sold for $8. Most others were sold for $10 or more, but there were some that were cheaper.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

Admittedly, I don't look that often.  :V

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Where are you that comics are only $2.50 an issue, Neo? I must move there.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Granted, last time I bought a comic/manga was like 4 years ago. Prices could have definitely changed.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Most comics are $2.99 and some of the high sellers like Action Comics and The Amazing Spider-man are $3.99

• While I can see how this would come across as anti-Japanese or anti-Manga, I think their intent here is just to capitalize on how well the U.S. licensed Manga market is doing in comparison to the U.S. Comic market. Just a very poor word choice with the Appeal to Nationalism and all that.

Of course, part of the reason Manga is so much more popular is because it does well with the young female demographic, which the U.S. comic industry has had a hard time appealing to. I haven't really heard of anything D.C. has done to improve this situation, so ultimately I don't know that this deal will help them much.

• Glaives are better.

There's only one manga I like.

• Just read that last night.  Wasn't as good as I hoped.

• Glaives are better.

Oh, it isn't good. I just liked it. Probably because the main character reminds me of someone I know. 

• Has friends besides tanks now

Wazzat?

• Glaives are better.

"It's Not My Fault I'm Not Popular."  /v/ - or maybe /a/, too - latched onto it because of the adorable main character, who, like them, is a basement-dwelling, video game-playing unpopular virgin who has never really talked to a member of the opposite sex. The main character's "Just kill me now..." expression has become a moderately successful reaction image.

• I literally discovered this yesterday. It is one of the few manga I genuinely enjoy reading.

• I believe I've heard of that one before. Don't they have an anime adaptation coming up soon?

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

I really do feel sad for the character herself.

• Kichigai birthday!!

^^ I don't think so. The first volume has just been released.

It would be awesome though.