If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Some Manga Fans Can Be Such Morons At Times.

edited 2012-01-18 17:07:00 in General

(Quick disclaimer; I enjoy comics, and when I say comics I mean a piece of work that uses artwork and dialogue to tell a story be they from Japan (like Trash or Saiyuki), America (Invincible, Amazing Spider-Man) or anywhere else in the world (France, Britain, Scotland, Korea, whatever). Also, I KNOW American Comic fans (and fans of everything) can be like this just as much as the people I'm about to link to. But just bare with me)

So, some comic shop in America has offered this promotion; 

And a manga fansite called CrunchRoll decided to comment on it. Here...and I gotta say...SO MUCH RETARDEDNESS HERE! I mean Jesus Percival Christ. 

We have one guy saying that Manga are more varied and then sites Bleach, One Piece and Naruto as examples! Then the constant people blaming DC for this when it WASN'T DC! I mean, putting aside that the deal the shop is offering is quite shit but still, a lot of these people are just...'special'.

Comments

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

Why they did this with DC and not Marvel is beyond me.

• You can change. You can.

because DC's the one that has horrible comics right now.

• > DC Has horrible comics

> Animal Man exists

wut. 

• a little muffled

The whole idea of this is really stupid and vaguely xenophobic, though.

> DC Has horrible comics

> Animal Man exists

wut.

Come on, with the new 52, the bad far outweighs the good and you know it.

• edited 2012-01-18 17:26:06
    I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

^^^ I think he means at present. I don't know anything about modern-day comics, so eh.

• Blankets, Fables, Y: The Last Man, Walking Dead, Strangers in Paradise, Chew, off the top of my head are pretty good comics.

• edited 2012-01-18 17:28:33
    He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

I guess Juan_Carlos is going by the argument that one good thing does not make up for a whole line of bad comics. Ninja'd, by a lot of things.

• edited 2012-01-18 17:29:21
    Has friends besides tanks now

"The whole idea of this is really stupid and vaguely xenophobic, though."

I feel like it's more tongue-in-cheek than xenophobic. Plus, there might be a fair number of people who have the first volumes to crappy series they read years ago, like Bleach or Naruto or something. It's still pretty stupid marketing (playing off the tired "FUCK YEAH, AMURRIKA!" joke), in my opinion, but I doubt there's xenophobia behind it, if they're willing to accept the manga volumes at all.

Blankets, Fables, Y: The Last Man, Walking Dead, Strangers in Paradise, Chew, off the top of my head are pretty good comics.

Walkind Dead is Image Comics, and the rest of them are not New 52 comics.

That, and Y is over. And Fables has pretty much lost all quality it had since issue 60-ish

• a little muffled

I dunno, the idea of "you should get rid of your stupid Japanese comics and read our shit instead" just has unfortunate implications in my mind. If they were offering free comics for trading in any non-DC comics, that'd be different.

• edited 2012-01-18 17:32:03

Like I said, it's based on the stupid AMERICA! joke, but I think that, in that, it's more tongue-in-cheek. Tongue-in-cheek with unfortunate implications, granted.

I think it's more because manga also sells quite well. I mean, it's not like they're going to burn the manga, are they? They're probably going to resell it or some shit

• I was responding to how some of them say there are no such things as good American comics. Way to dismiss an entire medium.

• edited 2012-01-18 17:35:46

^^ Exactly. If it was actually based on xenophobia, they wouldn't be accepting manga at all, right? They'd say something more along the lines of "don't buy that stupid jap crap; buy AMURRIKAN!" . . . Well, I'm strawmanning, but a viewpoint like that doesn't merit dignified opposition.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Come on, with the new 52, the bad far outweighs the good and you know it.

>Acting like this isn't just as true for Marvel

>Acting like this isn't the case for everything.

Also, am I the only one who finds calling Cyborg 'Robama' kind of... well, racist?

In any case, this is probably just a promotional thing. They probably want to use it to expand their manga section and sell them used. Silly ad, but nothing to overreact to.

>Acting like this isn't just as true for Marvel

>Acting like this isn't the case for everything.

From what I've heard, Marvel was outdoing DC this year, what with Spider Island and all...?

• a little muffled

@Everest: It clearly shows a disdain for manga, which admittedly does not necessarily have to do with xenophobia.

• edited 2012-01-18 17:47:29
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Spider Island was fantastic and it does probably put Marvel in the lead, especially in conjunction with Mark Waid's Daredevil.

However, things like Scott Snyder's Batman, Lemire's Animal Man, Frankenstein Agent of S.H.A.D.E., Brian Azzarello's Wonder Woman, Demon Knights and Batwoman just off the top of my head certainly keep DC worth paying attention to.

^I see no place where it makes a value judgment about manga.

bleh, see, i can't keep up with all that shit

--goes back to burying his head on stories about the resurrection of ninja terrorists--

• edited 2012-01-18 17:48:54

^^^ But . . . what are they going to do with it but resell it? Would they sell something they disdain?

^^Motherfucker I keep up with shit and even pay for some of it.

see, you say that as if it was a good thing.

• Why does this come off is incredibly desperate?

• a little muffled

@Malkavian:
    ^I see no place where it makes a value judgment about manga.
    Really? You don't see how, "get rid of your manga and we'll give you free American comics" doesn't at the very least appear to suggest disdain for manga?

I feel like the word "manga" could be part of the problem here. If it said "get rid of your comics from Japan, specifically, and nowhere else, espcially the United States" would you see where I was coming from?

@Everest:
    ^^^ But . . . what are they going to do with it but resell it? Would they sell something they disdain?
    If it makes money? Sure. They're a corporation.

• Has friends besides tanks now

That's quite a leap from "manga", though. I see where you're coming from; I just don't quite think it fits.

Really? You don't see how, "get rid of your manga and we'll give you free American comics" doesn't at the very least appear to suggest disdain for manga?

No. They WANT your manga. They're asking you for it. They WANT it for whatever reason, most likely to sell used. It's a promotional gimmick, and actually a pretty 'eh' deal, but it's not anti-Japanese. 

It's a dumb ad, especially since you're not actually 'buying' American but I don't see any anti-Japanese sentiment. Just a pro-American one.

• a little muffled

No. They WANT your manga. They're asking you for it. They WANT it for whatever reason, most likely to sell used.
    But that's not how they advertise it.

Just to be clear, I don't think the unfortunate implications here are necessarily intentional.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I see a really silly marketing idea.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^^Well, advertising it like that is basic marketing for a trade-in program. They can't exactly say "we think your stuff is more valuable than our stuff. Wanna trade?"