If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I found out some of my family members are assholes

edited 2011-12-03 18:25:14 in General
No rainbow star
They have taken stuff from my grandmother (including a gift from her father back when he was alive) and refuse to give it back, they refuse to talk to her, and when they do it's to get something from her, promising to return the favour but never doing so

All because she left Nova Scotia

The fuck!?

Comments

• Yep. Family life is never as rosy as television makes it seem.
  • edited 2011-12-03 18:43:47
    No rainbow star
    But out right theft?
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Yeah, I know how this goes.

My paternal uncle and aunt were vultures, waiting for my grandfather's death so as to inherit his house, sell it and make a bunch of money. He was the glue that kept that side of the family together, but with him, a lot of family functions died and never came back. I miss those days a lot, but I wouldn't want to have that stuff without him.
  • People seem to think that if they are closely related or connected to a person, taking things from them is called "borrowing" rather than "theft", so such an event becomes more likely within a family. Not to say that it isn't cruel, of course.
  • No rainbow star
    ^ One thing they stole was a bracelet made by my great grandfather for my grandmother

I don't get how that is anything BUT theft
  • My maternal grandfather's sisters have pulled crap like this, I think.
  • Erudite Meathead
    Extended family tend to act like total dipshits unfortunately. Sometimes it feels like cutting ties is the only option.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    My sister (who has since moved out and is living under someone else's roof) told my mother a month before she died that she hoped that she would die. A week before that she attacked my mother and accused her of faking because my mother wouldn't drive her to the mall. For reference, she was dying of cancer at the time so it's not like it was the usual angry teenage daughter stuff. This year she was expelled from her boarding school for stealing over a thousand dollars, and when they were moving her stuff out she stabbed a teacher and my father with a pair of scissors. Once while driving she got angry at me and decided to pull on my seatbelt so it was choking me. 

These are just some snippets.

So I'm aware of terrible family members. 

Ugh, tonight's been depressing.
  • Give them pleasure - the same pleasure they have when they wake up from a nightmare.
    Once I read the opening post, I checked to see if this was in the "wonderful posts" category.

It wasn't.

ಠ_ಠ
  • No rainbow star
    ^ And I made it as well! That almost GUARANTEES a wonderpost!
  • edited 2011-12-03 23:54:08

I am astonished to hear that several people here are saddled with outright terrible immediate family members. What kind of societal influence could possibly have led them to behave this way?

At the very least, I'd think that if someone does not want to take responsibility for raising their kids, they should not have kids.

• I come across this sort of thing at work a lot - disputes over wills, people still nursing grudges against Dad's second family decades after he bailed on his first one, people financially exploiting elderly parents. Sadly, a few people care more about money than their family and even more just don't like certain family members.

It's depressing stuff.

• You can change. You can.
    fuck

this thread makes me feel lucky.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    What Juan said.

Well, there are a couple burglars in the family, as I recall, but I haven't seen 'em in a while.
  • You can change. You can.
    Oh, I wouldn't say my family is exactly exemplary, but the worst we have is a couple of slackers who can't hold their family together. 

Nothing like abuse or whatever.