If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

LETS ALL DISCUSS YOUTUBE'S REDESIGN

edited 2011-12-01 16:04:36 in Wonderful posts
Kichigai birthday!!
I'M PERSONALLY NEUTRAL ABOUT IT

Comments

• It's not working for me, actually.

Mines exactly the same as it's always been.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    My legacy login cookies for Youtube no longer work.

Fuck you, Youtube.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^^Google staggers its changes.

My view: the old design was a solid bit of web design, good for a video site.

The new design is Facebook. It wasn't a great design when facebook did it, but it kinda works for a social network. Youtube, however, is not a social network.
  • You can change. You can.
    I don't see any changes.

so imma pretend you're all on dope.
  • edited 2011-12-01 16:52:02
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Google wants to be and do everything.  And do it all together.

No, Google, I don't want my comments about Robotnik's pingas on some YTP video to be connected with my real-life name.  Stop combining everything already, damnit.  I don't want to let the world know whenever I find another video of an alligator eating a bird or a puppy cuddling up on a couch.  Stop it.
  • it's too gray

and this is coming from the guy with grey as a middle name

so you know it's a valid opinion
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    *goes to Youtube*

jesus christ no
  • edited 2011-12-01 17:49:43
    law of silence
    Ugh, I hate it.

edit: Fuck, the channel design is awful too. How do I change it back? D:
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    No mention of Google looking updated too?
    (Or has it been updated for everyone else for ages?)
    ^ Perhaps?

As for Youtube...hm...

...imokaywiththis.png

No, really.  it looks almost just the same as the old format.  Given that the interface is roughly the same, I must say I'm indifferent toward the change.  For now at least.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    I HATE IT! HAAAAATE IIIIIIT!

Why is it grey? And why does it remind me of the unfunny shit I subscribed to years ago?
  • BeeBee
    edited 2011-12-01 18:55:46
    The gray is too dark to be aesthetically practical, and whatever interface bookkeeping they did behind the scenes is lagging the everloving shit out of me.  If your new design takes a minute and a half for the buffer to catch up with writing one comment, whatever background code is going on had fucking well better be doing some kind of epic solid-state physics simulation or something.

Seriously, I'll admit my laptop is a bit of a piece of crap, but six months ago it took less time to locate and highlight beachside erosion between a pair of 1GB 3D model files than it's taking to see the short bit of appreciation for someone's 8-bit composition I typed out actually find its way onto the screen.  There's no reason Youtube of all things should be breaking its spine.
  • No rainbow star
    It's... grey

Very, very grey
  • edited 2011-12-01 19:20:36
    Seems fine to me. I don't really get what the big deal is. The screen for the videos is pretty much exactly the same. And they shoved that "recommended channels" thing to the side. No, I do not want to subscribe to Ray William Johnson. 

And its nice they gave you a button to toggle seeing only your subscribers uploads. I always missed videos with the old layout.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2011-12-01 19:28:29
    After a bit more browsing around, the pages take about 4-5 times longer to load on the whole.  The black-text-on-dark-gray is basically unreadable on a laptop unless I crank the brightness high enough to burn my battery like gunpowder or sit in a dark room.

After a bit of messing around with the comment field, I think they're trying to record that real-time on server side like they do with Google Docs -- the delay feels kind of similar to a large-size Google Doc anyway.  Which is stupid, because there's absolutely no practical reason to take something that small yet ubiquitous off the browser side and generate that much traffic.
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    It's...okay. I was expecting much worse, but the gray is off-putting.
  • Yeah, the grey's a bit much, but I'll get over it. I remember when the last layout annoyed me because it was too much like Facebook. 
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

Besides, it'll be gone in a months or two anyway.
    OK, so redesign just hit on my site.

Let's see

>Home page

All of my suscriptions are put in one place, a la social network. I'd normally get behind this. If it didn't look as cluttered as it does now.

>Left side

Hm, I can see all of my suscriptions now

no wonder I don't check those anymore. Ah well, might as well go and delete them

...what do you mean I can't do it from here instead of going to the subscription page? then what's the point of putting them there, man?

OK then, let's not dwell on this much. I even admit that some changes are for the best (Throwing the recommendations into ignorable sections comes to mind)

hum, let's see a YT vid. 

>Search

nothing particularly bad here. Although the grey is making me want to choke someone

if anybody was more than willing to choke themselves for me and record it, it'd be swell. Oooh, can you not upload it to youtube? reasons should go without saying

Anyway

>video

the same so far.

I kinda wish they actually changed something. oh well.
  • edited 2011-12-01 20:07:41
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    They STILL have the problem that if someone's user channel has an icon image, you can't see their actual username without mousing over it and reading the status bar.

See, I liked it better when I could see the user's username instead of "SUBSCRIBE TO ME!! -->".
  • I don't give a shit, the liked/favorites/watch later/history bar is still the same so *shrug*
    Well, honestly, i don't even use YT except for listening to music and I normally just keep it in a tab where it just cycles through a playlist. And I don't even make my own, so I shouldn't be bothered.

but the fact that redesign could have been better does bother me

When a guy who doesn't know anything about web design is thinking "hm, maybe you should have done so and so" then there's something wrong.
  • I'd have to agree with Forzare on this one.

Basically they rearranged a few things and changed the color scheme.  It's like a car company changing the shape of the headlights and options package combinations just so that they can claim their car is a new design.

• Frankly... Youtube's design has never been good.  It's certainly been better than this, but it's still been shitty for a while.  But even still, I don't use Youtube very much and so I don't exactly have much of a reason to care about this.
  • But you never had any to begin with.
    It's very... cramped.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    It's kinda like they're trolling us.

They make a change, we get used to it. They change. We get used to it.
  • Like Facebook.
  • Other than wishing the background would go back to white so it's easier to read, I don't really give much of a shit about the small amount of reorganization they did.  I just want to know what's causing so much overhead in loading and the fucking comment box of all things.
    I actually like a feature about the comment box that they improved.  Before, you had to tab thrice to get to the post comment button.  Now, you just need to tab once.