If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Unrealistic career choices.

edited 2011-01-10 18:42:02 in Meatspace
I want to be a journalist.  Journalism is a dying field, and even if it wasn't,it seems like an impossible goal.  At least I'm not "working on a novel" or some shit.

Comments

• I wanted to go to Japan and become a manga/anime designer, until I realized that it was impossible to break into any business in Japan if you are a foreigner.

So I decided to join a cult.
  • Journalism is a dying field, and even if it wasn't,it seems like an impossible goal.

Uh, what? Unless you're talking about print journalism you're completely off base.
  • EVERYONE GET THE FUCK OUT. I GOT THIS
    Fuck cults, become a zombie killer.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN THEY'RE ALREADY DEAD
  • I could become a Revangelist.
  • traditional paid journalism is very much so a shrinking field.

• Everything I really want to be, they are all unreliable in some form. Artist, comic creator, fiction writer, college professor, nonfiction writer, anthropologist, art teacher... It's all a crapshoot. I've decided on an Environmental Science degree for a while now, since I find the subject interesting and think it would be nice to have a hand in environmental issues... But I fear that the occupation will be much more bland than the learning. Lots of doubts.

Eh, what to do? If I suddenly practiced drawing and writing all the time and gained some REAL skill, I might actually consider such 'unreliable professions' for real, but I'm not up to snuff. I like a safe option.

<3 ali
  • edited 2011-01-09 01:41:36
    Pony Sleuth
    I used to seriously think about being a journalist, but the way politics and the media are set up, and how the job market is going, I realized that I was more interested in the idea of journalism than what I thought I could actually do with it.

I'm thinking about looking into computational linguistics or something.
  • Some people start cults to get laid.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    inb4 bounty hunting
  • Yeah I remember that.

Dunno how that idea came up.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Samus Aran.
  • Oh DLC. You so funny.

You need to follow your dreams. That's not some sentimental bullshit, it's the truth. You either a) fail, and have to settle with a less than satisfactory career, or b) succeed.
  • Or c) spend so much of your time and money pursuing a dream that was never possible and ruin your chances for everyday happiness and success.

No, I'm not really that pessimistic, but I think there's a limit to how far to take things.
  • Shh, we don't want people to know that.
  • If we don't let people's dreams get broken, how will we continue to make a profit from producing escapist works?
  • edited 2011-01-09 22:27:53
    how will we continue to make a profit from producing escapist works?

Quiet you fool! You'll ruin everything!
  • edited 2011-01-09 22:36:29
    ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
    I going to be a chef, and do computer stuff and amateur writing on the side.

If I need to, I can also become an instructor at a martial arts school; that could pay well. I haz experience.
  • What qualifications does a janitor need? :P
  • I am going to start a webcomic.
  • I told you a hundred times Seibah, I don't want you in my pool
  • People have told me I could make money as a lounge pianist. I don't think I'm good enough, but I wouldn't mind being a musician. I could probably work in the ensemble of an opera with training, considering my voice type is kinda rare.
  • Give them pleasure - the same pleasure they have when they wake up from a nightmare.
    A lot of people thought that I couldn't be a princess when I grew up.

HA!

They are working in the diamond mine as we speak!
  • I want to open an animation company.

Like that's ever happening.

• a little muffled
    I want to work as a Magic: the Gathering developer.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I want to go into acting.

The BFA program I want to pursue at Emerson only admits sixteen people.
  • Clean your room little Billy
    I'm currently trying to finish up a degree in library & information services. If that's not unrealistic in the age of Kindles, I don't know what is.
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    I wanted to be a Phoenix Wright style Lawyer. Haha, yeah fat chance.

Right now, I'm focusing more on becoming a Patent Lawyer (more realistic and more profitable), but with the job market these days even that looks unlikely.

Well, there's always that Chemical Engineering degree.

>Sucks at Organic Chemistry.

Fuck.
  • edited 2011-10-06 13:18:40
    One foot in front of the other, every day.
    I want to be a knight. But like in the fairytales and stuff. It's pretty dumb.

As much as "historical fantasy literature knight"  can't be a career, the skillset is possible to develop these days.

Pretty cool. I guess I am essentially following my dreams, just not in terms of career path.