If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Reading the TGWTG thread on TV Tropes recently

edited 2011-10-13 09:51:35 in General
Oh my god...

Comments

• I'LL STAY MAI HAUNDS...WITH YAU BLAHT
    I MUST KNOW WHO IS THE SECRET LOVER OF MY FAVORITE INTERNET YELLY MAN

HOW DARE YOU HAVE A DIFFERENT OPINION
  • Internet arguments in general:

• Actually the debate is about this one weird rant in the latest video.
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    The latest video of who?
  • Don't suppose we could get the Cliff's Notes (Or Cole's Notes, for those of us up north) version of whatever is going on? Or a link to the offending posts in question?
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    ^I'm thinking this topic is about the antics of TGWTG fans on Tv Tropes in general.
  • Okay, here's what happened.

In his video review of The Haunting* the 1999 remake of the classic 1963 psychological horror film of the same name** the Nostalgia Critic launched into a lengthy rant in which he attacked the movie and made the somewhat bizarre and groundless allegation that the director of the remake, Jan De Bont, was motivated to make the movie by his hatred for the original movie and wished to make a "more adult version".

Some fans of the Nostalgia Critic found the resulting rant to be an irritating and tedious part of an already somewhat mediocre review, and voiced their displeasure.

This being the borderline-modless no-man's land that is New Media, it quickly devolved into a pointless argument involving multiple accusations of overreacting and discussions about how often the Critic does this.

It is dumb, but the New Media forum has been to dumber places often.

• edited 2011-10-13 17:29:08
    Thank you, Myr. That was very succinct.

For the record, I didn't think the rant was funny. But when I look at Internet arguments like this, I don't see your garden-variety stupid or pointless; I see a vertiable land war, where the topic at hand is just a lens through which people measure their e-peens. If that makes any sense.

Also, Todd in the Shadows posts a new video, nobody says a word about it. I am disappoint.
  • You guys think that's bad? Go to the comics forum, read the last 20 pages or so of the DC Rebooting Universe thread.

Now that gets sad.
    Or any time a "game politics" pops up on the vidya forums.

So much rage, so little time.
  • People bitch about every single little new development. Sad, really.
  • The aforementioned thread at the moment has devolved over a bitchfest about numerical universe designations in DC.
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    *insert generic comment about Music being the best subforum*
  • Silence is golden.
    The Game Overthinker thread too is pretty damned entertaining.
  • edited 2011-10-14 17:02:56
    Loser
    Glowsquid,
    "If you do not get this amazing new generation of Donkey Kong madness... you are stupid. Yes, I know that's insulting, but it's also true."

No offense meant to the person who made that post (I think we should focus on the post itself rather than make judgements about the person who made it), but it reminded me of that comment from Navgtr.

As for what Myrmidon said, I think arguments about who is and is not overreacting are among the silliest in existence. From what I can tell, all they really end up doing is making some people angry as others accuse them of being oversensitive. However, I doubt saying that people are overreacting or telling them that they are oversensitive really ever helps calm them down.
  • They're somethin' else.
    The Nostalgia Critic and a majority of his spin-offs are boing as hell.
  • To borrow a bit from 4Chan...

>2011
    >Taking internet video reviewers seriously. 
    >The Nostalgia Critic and a majority of his spin-offs are boring as hell.

Except the Cinema Snob, and even then only when he does one of his Brad Tries segments.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I like most of what I watch on TGWTG, but not to any great degree. It's something to do if I'm bored.
  • You can change. You can.
    I've whined endlessly about them before, but in a nutshell, my problem with them will always be that apart from JesuOtaku and Todd, none of them do actual analysis and instead dedicate to comedy bitching and call said bitching a review. 

I wouldn't mind if they weren't called "reviews" or if Doug Walker didn't try so hard to be funny. Or if he hadn't become the template for what an internet reviewer should be. 

In fact, I'm always happy when a new reviewer actually tries to not be funny. Most of them suck at the funny angle, to be honest. 
  • edited 2011-10-14 22:23:55
    >Or if he hadn't become the template for what an internet reviewer should be. 

You're thinking of the Angry Video Game Nerd.

In seriousness, though, the semantics of "review" in this context never bothered me.
  • Uggggh it kind of reminds me of that stupid Real Robots Should Be Realistic thread that I let myself get sucked into (plus it's follow up the TTGL thread) on the anime fourm. A bunch of nerds getting mad about robot anime, it was the worst. 

The worst.

The wuuuuuuurrrrrrsssssst. 

But yeah TGWTG tends to bring out some of the most awful aspects of TV Tropes, on both sides. 
  • ^^Incidentally, AVGN started out as a parody of those kind of nerds, and to some extent still is.
  • AHRAHR
    edited 2011-10-14 22:34:47
    JC: Nostalgia Chick, Marz Gurl, Oancitizen, Last Angry Geek...

Even Linkara does analysis from time to time.

Angry Joe does a marketers review, where he is trying to make a point of whether you should buy it or not.
  • You can change. You can.
    Even Linkara does analysis from time to time.

Linkara used to do it a fair bit, I'll admit, but he's too focused on his storylines to be entertaining anymore. Not to mention that most of his reviews, from what I've seen, tend to either do that or simply try too hard at the comedy element. Although unlike most of the other people, he can easily pinpoint what makes what he reviews fail beyond simple bad dialogue/acting

Nostalgia Chick

It may be just me, but I've tried really hard to sit down to actually watch one of her videos, but I honestly can't. I feel that most of the time, her observations tend to be quite superficial when it comes to her reviews. It prolly helps that the comedy bits she tries tend to be plain boring to me.

As for the others, haven't watched, can't complain/properly talk about them. 

I guess that my main problem is with the format of the show. Not to mention that it's about these people reviewing these things "in-character" first and foremost. I do like Doug Walker's v-logs when he talks about, say, his favorite films. I found those far more interesting than anything the Critic's done. 
  • Firestorm: Heh, I remember that thread. It was sort of fun for a while, but then it just started going around in circles. I did write some really long posts, though I don't remember them being particularly angry.

As for the Critic: while I understand his disdain for the remake, I must say that I too found the rant to be really uncomfortable and wierdy childish in it's strawman charicature of the director. Ironic, considering he was accusing the director of being childish, but maybe that was the point? Whatever, it didn't work for me, either way.

• The rant, for anyone who doesn't want to sit through the whole review to see it.
    Oh god. That was basically everything I hated about the current critic in 2 minutes.