If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Sabriel is being adapted into a movie; it could also be an awesome game.

edited 2011-10-11 11:56:11 in Media
One foot in front of the other, every day.
Sabriel is a 90s Garth Nix fantasy novel that exists in a fictional world that could be compared to Full Metal Alchemist. That is, the setting is vaguely 20th-century, but to the North lies the Old Kingdom. In this place, technology breaks down and the currents of magic are strong. This is somewhere where the dead can roam freely, if given the chance, and bizarre monsters are to be found if one is particularly unlucky.

Sabriel herself is a necromancer, but not of the usual kind. She uses her skills to lay the dead to rest or, if they're too powerful, bind them to the underworld. The underworld is a riverbank, occasionally interrupted by a number of gates. These gates represent how far gone a dying or dead organism is, and particularly powerful undead must be bound further down the path, as near as possible to the ninth gate, if not pushed through. If the binding is too weak, then the undead thing can simply escape with time.

There are two schools of magic: charter magic and free magic. Charter mages are essentially "official" spellcasters, whereas free mages are invisible to the records and authorities. Generally, necromancers are free mages using their powers to acquire servants or to manipulate the course of events. To my memory, Sabriel and her father are the only charter necromancers. As a result, they are sometims treated fearfully, but the paperwork all adds up.

The gameplay opportunities for this are potentially quite staggering. One of the most exciting concepts to me is the possibility of duels in the underworld to bind the powerful undead. How risky is one willing to be to ensure a powerful bind? And even then, how long until that thing frees itself and stalks the game world once more? Necromantic magic could be context-sensitive but essentially limitless, but charter magic has a tiring effect on the user, perhaps being based on a fatigue bar that also governs regular combat. In the book, objects can be enchanted, but improvised enchantments are limited and will fade. What about the social aspect? Not to mention the opportunities that present themselves if this hypothetical game isn't literally based on the book, but is based on the setting.

Could be great.

Comments

• of course, you know execution of a good concept needs to be good too.

So let's iron out a couple of details alright.
  • edited 2011-10-11 06:56:18
    One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Yeah, that's the hard bit.

For instance, as a swordsman, I'm tempted to create a combat system that reflects the reality of martial fencing. But is that really what's best for the game? Maybe. Not sure. It really depends on combat-and-magic segregation.

I guess the reverse necromancy is the huge draw. Here's a few things one might be able to do, depending on whether they play the powers straight or not:

- Revive dead; unethical for a charter necromancer unless in extremely trying circumstances.
    - Contact dead; context-sensitive? Receive game hints? Both?
    - Heal wounds; small application of necromancy.
    - Banish Hand ("Hand" being the term for a raised thrall); a touch ability that banishes a lesser undead in combat. May be applied to weapon, or used in grapple.
    - Bind; bind undead to the underworld. I believe this is also a touch ability in the books, so it would also have to be part of a grapple or a weapon effect. This would also necessitate dueling with the undead in the underworld itself, trying to put them as near as possible to the most powerful gates.
    - Traverse underworld; without binding, visit the underworld for whichever reason. Who knows what you'll meet?

Then you have charter magic, which is standard fare. Given that the focus is meant to be necromancy, I'd put the offensive focus on physical combat with charter magic contributing weapon buffs and necromancy contributing anti-undead touch effects. Perhaps there could be some adventure game elements, with much charter magic being sort of mundane, like in the books? Just basic things, like producing or removing heat, or summoning a little light. No massive fireballs here.

Come to think of it, an approximation of real swordsmanship would suit this game quite well, given all the grapple opportunities and the touch nature of magic interaction.

One thing I failed to mention was the set of bells. These play a huge part in Sabriel's charter necromancy. If memory serves, the undead really don't like the chiming, but they also help enter and exit the underworld. There's seven of 'em. I'll have to re-read to work out how they'd differentiate.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Okay, listening to an audiobook. This is perfect for a martial arts meets magic meets survival horror. The early section of the book is essentially Sabriel fleeing through the wilderness from eldritch abominations, finding her father's house and being besieged by the undead. Awesome. It is as exciting as I remembered!
  • But you never had any to begin with.
    Lirael doesn't strike me as something that would make a wonderful movie, to be honest. It's a lot more dialoguey than the other two books. And Abhorsen as a movie would definitely be a... something.
    I can't remember anything well enough, honestly. All I remember is enjoying all three quite a lot.

Sabriel has the advantage of being self-contained, though. So that's something.
  • no longer cuddly, but still Edmond
    I love how the title just says its "being adapted" into a movie, but it "could be an awesome game"

Implying OP doesn't think the movie is gonna be awesome.

Considering how the movie industry has been so far though, I understand.
  • $80+ per session
    >So far

?
    Implies inshmies. I'd love to see a Sabriel movie, but after the use of death as a game mechanic in Dark Souls, it's got my brain cogs turning. 

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

That past, I think the game system Alex has thought up could be cool, but it needs work.

Anyway, the bells are:

Ranna
    The "Sleepbringer" or "Sleeper", Ranna is the smallest of the bells, with the highest tone. Its tone induces sleep, quiescence, and/or relaxation in humans and Dead alike. It may send the weakest of the Dead back into Death. 

Mosrael
    The "Waker", Mosrael is used to bring the Dead into Life, but also throws the necromancer further into Death. 

Kibeth
    Kibeth, or the "Walker", is a bell that controls movement. It is able to give and take away the freedom of movement from its target, or in careless hands its user. 

Dyrim
    Dyrim, or the "Speaker", is a musical bell that controls sound and voice. It is able to give a voice to those without one (including the Dead), or render one mute. Dyrim can also be used to improve mood, for its peal, when rung properly, can seem to those alive as a sweet, uplifting tune. 

Belgaer
    The "Thinker", Belgaer is a bell that manipulates memory. It can bring back forgotten memories erased from a spirit who has spent too long in Death, or erase memories altogether. If not used carefully, it may splinter the mind of the one who wields it. Necromancers will almost never use the former function, preferring to use the latter for offensive purposes. It can also be used to liberate a bound creature, as it is also the bell that frees Mogget from his millennia of servitude to the Abhorsen. 

Saraneth
    The second-largest bell, the "Binder" Saraneth is used by necromancers to bind the Dead to their will, and is the favored bell of the Abhorsens. It can be used to command spirits back into Death, and beyond the Ninth Gate. It is one of the most commonly used bells of the Abhorsens, along with Ranna and Kibeth. Rung discordantly, it can also make the wielder's mind wander (as demonstrated in Abhorsen.) 

Astarael
    "The Sorrowful" or "Weeper", Astarael's tone is described as being low pitched and mournful. Astarael is the most powerful and largest bell which will throw everyone who hears it, including the ringer, deep into Death. If rung properly with another bell, however, Astarael may not be deadly.
    Oh yeah, so there'd be a Magic Music element.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    I'm imagining it being like Persona- where physical attacks with your weapon are essentially free, and you can bring out your Bells for a cost (MP, or perhaps a chance of them going horribly wrong as described there).
    Or the vulnerability of trying to ring bells properly in the middle of combat.
    Shouldn't be that hard, from what I remember of the books. No harder than drawing a dagger- just knock them backwards, then be really quick about it.
  • I LOVED Sabriel!