If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The account remover

edited 2011-10-01 17:26:42 in Webspace
I created a thread about it in yack fest accidentally, which was moved to tech wishlist, but than zapped. 2 days later, I posted in wiki talk about a guy who wanted to remove his account. I said the account remover wasn't what it claimed to be, along with a IJBM link. The thread was zapped. I've sent pm's to maddy, fighteer, and ironeye, but as of this writing have no responses. What the hell? Am I the only one who thinks it's strange to claim the world is flat? Or am I missing something here?

Comments

• I saw that too.

I have no idea why the threads were zapped.
  • And now you know why I don't miss the TvTropes forums anymore.
  • I just sent a pm to camacan. As of now, 4 pm's, no responses.
  • edited 2011-10-01 20:49:04
    None of those people can fix it. Only Fast Eddie can, because he made it.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    And we all know the odds of Eddie fixing anything.

No, I'm not bitter about exactly the same thing, why do you ask?
  • edited 2011-10-01 21:02:11
    'If you kill an account it is not recoverable. Make sure that you are using it from the account you want to kill.'
    Maddy posted that. Maybe some mod could clarify what it really does. Or at the very least, not zap any thread where someone says the truth, along with ignoring pm's.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I recovered my account after I deleted it, because I didn't like the idea of someone else picking up my name and being me. Not that that's likely to happen, but still.

It's ridiculous that that's even a possibility, when the mods say it's impossible.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    How would it be impossible?
  • Make the name still be available and switch the password to nonsense nobody but Eddie knows. 
  • Ideally, Eddie shouldn't have any way to figure out your password either, and it's kind of a pretty big security flaw if he does.
  • Welp, since when does TvT make sense?

LET'S MAKE IT EVEN MORE NONSENSICAL!

And also, passwords are stored in plaintext anyway, so. 
  • edited 2011-10-01 21:24:52
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^^From something he said in tech wishlist, I don't think he does.

He can reset it, though, if you lose it.

^They're stored in plaintext on the user side.
  • I just sent a PM to meta four. 5 pm's, no responses yet.

...I'm probably just being impatient right now, but whatever.
  • Really? I thought they were stored in plaintext on the server/site side too.

huh

Anyway, I don't see how particularly nonsensical that would be. An account remover that just jumbles your password into nonsense. No one can get in or out and Eddie can reset your password if you feel like coming back.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I think that was true at some point, but isn't anymore.
  • really? Because I got ahold of a few sockpuppets that way. Tommy Wiseau comes to mind

And this was when IJBM existed. 
    Err...I was talking about the "passwords are stored in plaintext on the server side" part.
  • Response from meta four. He says there's no information blackout, and the pm is the first he's heard about it.

Huh. I assume the zapping is eddie's doing, but I'm not sure.
  • >Tvtropes.

>Fixing problems.

Found the philosophy in the making.
  • I remember blaming Eddie for nuking "Kagami Hiiragi snuggling after sex" (it may or may not have been before your time).

I PM'd him about it, but going by the fact that the message disappeared from my inbox, he deleted it (deleting PMs used to get rid of them on both ends).
    ^Well, given that every other mod claimed to have no idea what happened and said that the thread seemed okay to them rules-wise...
  • edited 2011-10-01 23:17:20
    Fast eddie has spoken.

'I nuked the thread because of the
    IJBM/SA links. Importing drama. FYI, The account deleter deletes the
    account. It doesn't delete edit history and reserve the name from being
    used again because of the obvious trolling techniques that would enable.'

INUH' said something like 'I still don't get why people are suprised that the tool for removing an account from the sockpuppet counter just removes it from the sockpuppet counter.

Well than... Eddie says it deleted the acount, and people like INUH are saying it doesn't delete it.

UNUH is the correct one, right? Or am I missing something here?

FYI, Meta was the only mod to respond, no idea what the others said.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    On TVtropes, I deleted the Forzare account.

Then I logged into it like normal when I realized that deletion doesn't do shit anyway.

I nuked the thread because of the IJBM/SA links.

-sigh-
    Yeah, incidentally, linking IJBM to support a thread on TV Tropes is against the IJBM rules too. Please don't do it again. You can argue your point perfectly well without doing so, and we'd rather not be seen as "those guys who spend their time complaining about TV Tropes."
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    It doesn't delete edit history and reserve the name from being 
    used again because of the obvious trolling techniques that would enable

IIRC, it also doesn't delete post histories, etc. I think it pretty much just deletes your password and maybe your avatar gallery.
    ^ Nope.  When I logged into Forzare again after I deleted it, all the avatars were still there.
  • edited 2011-10-01 23:25:06
    It doesn't get rid of your gallery. It just resets your avatar to the default.

Ninja'd.
  • edited 2011-10-01 23:27:15
    We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    The account remover was never actually intended for getting rid of user accounts, just sockpuppets, which is why it doesn't do any of those things (but you probably knew that).
  • Fast eddie has spoken again.

'Whatever, dude.'

>.>

• No rainbow star
    ...Sometimes I think TVT needs another active site owner JUST to balance out Fast Eddie...