If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Light Novels.

Comments

• edited 2011-10-01 19:31:29
    a little muffled
    @Forzare: They were my favourites when I was a kid too. I reread them not too long ago and they held up really well.

If you weren't aware, there's also a prequel now, which while not as good as the originals is still pretty great.
  • edited 2011-10-01 19:32:55
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    ^ Sweet, I didn't know that.  I only have the original trilogy (Amulet, Eye, Gate). 

And yay.  I love when things I love as a kid hold up.

^^ Animorphs was the shit too.  Not the show though.  Even as a kid I thought that was just shit.
  • edited 2011-10-01 19:47:25
    probably human
    Anyone else here read the Mortal Engines and Airborne series?

You gotta love steampunk.

Animorphs is also pretty awesome. I never actually read most of the series, though...
  • Man, I dunno. I just have very low opinions of Western YA. The very fact that they are written by adults makes me so cynical that I view every characteristic of them with nothing but pessimistic scrutiny.
  • "The very fact that they are written by adults makes me so cynical that I view every characteristic of them with nothing but pessimistic scrutiny."

Don't make me bring out the Tidus laugh again.

• probably human
    "The very fact that they are written by adults"

...As opposed to light novels?
  • How exacrlt can an adult understand teenagers?
  • no longer cuddly, but still Edmond
    Fantasy that tries to imitate Harry Potter without realizing what made it good in the first place

Wait, Harry Potter was good? Don't make me laugh.

Goes to finally read the fifth book.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    ^^ Aren't most light novels written by adults, too?

And adults were teenagers once. Some of them even remember what it was like.
  • a little muffled
    @dmboogie: I read a bit of Mortal Engines when I was younger; didn't like it much. I'm not sure why.

I remember when Airborn was huge with my friends, but I never got around to reading it.
  • edited 2011-10-01 20:29:38
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I've seen more YA fiction written by teenagers than I've seen light novels written by teenagers.

And most of said YA fiction was really bad.
  • Wait, Harry Potter was good? Don't make me laugh.
    Goes to finally read the fifth book.

It's hardly perfect, but I'd definetly say that it has a charm that most fiction lacks these days.
  • edited 2011-10-01 20:37:01
    a little muffled
    The Bartimaeus Trilogy is better on account of having a snarky genie.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    And footnotes. Footnotes make everything better.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    If Eragon is any indication I'm not sure teenagers understand being teenagers.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Well, if you're going to go by Eragon, teenagers don't understand that human lives have value either :P
  • Given the prevelence of tropes like Totally Radical, I'm just very cynical of adult's abilites to write teenagers.

Totally Radical tends to happen more in marketing than in actual writing, in my experience.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    People have a hard time writing about people who aren't them. That's all.
  • Also, I have trouble relating/liking to YA protagonists because authors always asume that all teenagers are bum-fuck lazy retards who only care about the opposite sex and despise intellectualism.
  • edited 2011-10-01 21:49:28
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I don't think I've ever read a published book by a teenager that I liked.  Even if it was about teenagers.

^You talk about YA fiction like it's some monolithic, homogenous entity.  It's as varied as any genre.
    ^What he said.
  • edited 2011-10-01 21:52:09
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    I can think of a few protagonists that aren't like that in YA fiction: Jake from Animorphs, Percy Jackson, Drizzt Do'Urden, Ender...

^^Outside of Eragon I can't think of any notable ones.
  • edited 2011-10-01 21:53:32
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^Nathaniel, from The Bartimaeus Trilogy, isn't like that either.

You talk about YA fiction like it's some monolithic, homogenous entity.  It's as varied as any genre.
    I'd say it's more varied than any actual genre, as it's a demographic containing many genres.
  • "Percy Jackson"

As a person with ADHD (He had that, right?), I hate this little shit and honestly find him insulting. Also, he's a boring generic hero otherwise.
    I wasn't making quality judgments. I was simply saying he was one of many characters who didn't fit the criteria you put.

Fuck, technically Bella Swan doesn't fit it either.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    No, he was diagnosed with ADHD because he had the symptoms, but he didn't actually have the disorder.
    Oh right, isn't that because the brains of scions worked differently to process their abilities?

..or something?
  • I hate people who want to write YA.

Therefore, ALL YA MUST BE THE WORST PIECES OF WRITING EVAR.
  • probably human
    @Mal

Something about his brain being hard-wired to read Greek.

...Or something.