If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Not enough old-school gamers on this forum

Comments

• no longer cuddly, but still Edmond
    That sounds... kind of interesting.

To be honest its not really the characters or the "action scenes" that are my biggest problem. It's just that every time I watch an episode it ends up having a plot that is totally insulting to my intelligence. As a kid the first episode I caught was one about the one with the long beak (Lexington?) joining a biker gang, then whining about wanting to "fit in" when he was found out (doesn't he already fit in... with the Gargoyles?). More recently I saw this episode about a girl escaping from a mad scientist who had turned her into a human/gargoyle hybrid, she hated the real gargoyles because they're "monsters" but didn't at all mind hanging out with another group of mutants, two of whom were clearly psychopathic and with the clear but unstated assumption that her little gang was going to be expected to get into superhero fights time and again.

I know people here think I'm nitpicky, but I've always caught this kind of stuff on the fly without even having to wait for the commercial breaks, and it really does get on my nerves. But I'm willing to chance that maybe I just have bad luck and always catch a sour apple when I trust TV. Time to start hitting up torrents.
  • The one about the kid that can't talk to humans is Crusader of Centy/Soleil.
  • edited 2011-09-29 06:08:54
    Silence is golden.

3... 2... 1... Let's go!   

R-Type Leo duh

I only guessed that + Bad Streets Brawler. Then again, my experience with the NES is limited to Mega Man and Ninja Gaiden ripoffs, and I couldn't give less of a shit for pre-Amiga PC gaming.

• edited 2011-10-02 20:23:21
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    > Little blue guy who has to solve box-pushing puzzles to advance to the next room.

Boxxle

Oh, it's Adventures of Lolo.

> A kid who built his own spaceship and stun ray puts on a football helmet and goes into space to have adventures. There's a top-view mapscreen that you navigate to get to the levels. Sometimes you also have a pogo stick.

COMMANDER KEEN YES YES YES

Oh, other people already got it.

----

MY TURN!

1. multiplatform: You play a stout creature with big eyes and no hands.  It can jump and spit.  It navigates the outside of a cylindrical tower, so as you move left or right the background actually rotates perspective.
      CASTELIAN / TOWER TOPPLER / NEBULUS / other names

2. series, on NES/GB/GBC: Create square bricks.  Destroy them.  Drop your enemies by breaking the bricks they stand on.  Find the key to open the door.  Each level takes place on only one screen.  Get touched by the fairies that occasionally appear.  Watch out for fire-breathing dog-like monsters!  SOLOMON'S KEY/SOLOMON'S CLUB

3. series, NES/GB: You're a one-hit wonder with a time limit and no weapons.  What do you do?  Crack open eggs looking for a throwing-hammer, a skateboard, and some dinosaurs.  Fruits and veggies are good for you...except eggplants.  (Bonus hint: The series includes the last game released for the NES.)  ADVENTURE ISLAND

4. NES: A drunk duck wanders through a mysterious world to find his companions, free them from brainwashing, and defeat a bunch of bosses that look vaguely alike, by throwing heads at them.  (Bonus hint: This is a metroidvania.)  U-FOUR-IA / HEBEREKE

5. GB: Prevent others from stealing your girlfriend/boyfriend by...creating a contiguous single color path between you and them.  Or something.  You start off with a checkerboard and pan rows and columns up or down, and your opponents do the same thing.
  • edited 2011-09-29 15:05:10
    RE-ANIMATOR
    ... Whenever I run into other retro gamers... they always ALWAYS turn out to be Nintendo fans. 

Since I was basically exclusively a Sega guy in those days, and VERY poor.... it tends to leave me a tad severed from most of the references even so. 

=/ 

Makes me miss the days on Shining Force Central. Was there for years. Biggest collective of classic Sega fans (and fellow haters of S*ny) I've ever been a part of.  

Oh, and for a little quizzy game thingie.... I've only EVER once in my life cried at something in a game. 
    All sorts of bonus points to anyone who can identify it (by guessing, probably).
  • edited 2011-09-29 15:06:36
    (EDIT: Wait, I'm wrong.  Disregard) 
  • And to be fair, the one thing I've cried at in a game is an order of magnitude easier to guess than the one time I've ever cried watching an anime...  
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Aeris dying?
  • Knew you'd say that. 
    Nah. I laughed when I watched that. FFVII for me was all about Tifa (and the scene in the ending sequence where Cloud helps her up onto the ledge and her boobs just sorta squelch onto it), and Sephiroth got rid of the competition. Worked out perfect. 
  • edited 2011-09-29 16:01:35
    6. arcade and multiplatform: A platform game where you play a kiwi.  THE NEW ZEALAND STORY / KIWI KRAZE

7. DOS: Green redhead alien can stick to walls and set bombs, and occasionally utters speech bubbles. COSMO'S COSMIC ADVENTURE

8. MegaDrive/Genesis: Various colors battle each other to try to reactivate or prevent reactivation of a superweapon named after two precious metals.  On one side are Red, Blue, Yellow, and Brown; on the other are Green, Pink, Black, Orange, and Grey.  GUNSTAR HEROES
  • I remember #6 but don't know what it was called. 

#8 doesn't ring any bells though.... but it seems like it would have been a rather gay game. 
    ... I mean that semi-literally. It sounds hella.... rainbowy. 

#8 is surprisingly manly once you find out what it is.  #6 goes by two different names; the arcade and Sega console versions by one name and the NES version by another.
    3. series, NES/GB: You're a one-hit wonder with a time limit and no weapons. What do you do? Crack open eggs looking for a throwing-hammer, a skateboard, and some dinosaurs. Fruits and veggies are good for you...except eggplants.

Adventure Island.

6. arcade and multiplatform: A platform game where you play a kiwi.

The New Zealand Story, aka Kiwi Kraze

7. DOS: Green redhead alien can stick to walls and set bombs, and occasionally utters speech bubbles.

I know this one but for some reason the title escapes me at the moment.
  • edited 2011-09-29 15:40:26
    But you never had any to begin with.
    1. multiplatform: You play a stout creature with big eyes and no hands. 
    It can jump and spit.  It navigates the outside of a cylindrical tower,
    so as you move left or right the background actually rotates
    perspective.
    Nebulous

2. series, on NES/GB/GBC: Create square bricks.  Destroy them.  Drop
    your enemies by breaking the bricks they stand on.  Find the key to open
    the door.  Each level takes place on only one screen.  Get touched by
    the fairies that occasionally appear.  Watch out for fire-breathing
    dog-like monsters!
    Solomon's Key Series

3. series, NES/GB: You're a one-hit wonder with a time limit and no
    weapons.  What do you do?  Crack open eggs looking for a
    throwing-hammer, a skateboard, and some dinosaurs.  Fruits and veggies
    are good for you...except eggplants.
    Adventure Island Series

6. arcade and multiplatform: A platform game where you play a kiwi.
    The New Zealand Story

...Bloody ninjas.

• edited 2011-09-29 15:42:41
    RE-ANIMATOR
    "#8 is surprisingly manly once you find out what it is." 

Well, it takes a real man to fuck another man in the arse. 
    #8 wouldn't happen to be a fighting game, would it?
    Yes on both AI and NZS/KK.
    I finally remembered the name of the game about the redheaded alien with suction-cup hands who bombs: Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure.
  • edited 2011-09-29 16:19:37
    Holy crap ninja'd.

NO on Nebulous.  EDIT: It's actually "Nebulus".

YES on Solomon's Key.  (The other answer would be "Solomon's Club", with partial credit for "Monster Rancher Explorer".)

YES on Cosmo.
  • Bluh. Nobody cares about the game I cried over any more. 

Incidentally, went back and struck out the games that have been guessed from my list.

So now the only ones left are the space combat sim with shmup elements, and top-view RPG that is a surprisingly improved sequel.
    I should do that too.
  • Silence is golden.

8. MegaDrive/Genesis: Various colors battle each other to try to reactivate or prevent reactivation of a superweapon named after two precious metals. On one side are Red, Blue, Yellow, and Brown; on the other are Green, Pink, Black, Orange, and Grey.

Gunstar Heroes.

• edited 2011-09-29 16:01:46
    YES!  Surprised that took that long.
  • Likes cheesecake unironically.
    I finally remembered the name of the game about the redheaded alien with
    suction-cup hands who bombs:
    Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure.

Finally remembered? Finally remembered? You didn't knew it instantly when you read it? Shame on you!

Actually, I already suspected Cosmo as soon as I read about the green alien.
  • edited 2011-09-29 16:25:26
    Silence is golden.

Forgot this one:

1. multiplatform: You play a stout creature with big eyes and no hands.
    It can jump and spit. It navigates the outside of a cylindrical tower,
    so as you move left or right the background actually rotates
    perspective.

Tower Toppler/Castelian.

(incidentally, can I make my own list)

YES!  Castelian.  I never knew it had that other name either.

...wait, on checking Wikipedia, I should admit my own error.

It's not quite "Nebulous", but it is "Nebulus".  It's got many names.
  • There is at least one level of Dynamite Headdy like that too.... Well, he has hands, but he doesn't use them. 
  • edited 2011-09-29 16:35:06
    They call me Rate Miser, whatever I see... turns overrated in my eyes...
    Here's a few:

1. A game with a manual with one of the weirdest translations ever, the first occurance of rank in a game, almost-completely random enemy patterns based on said rank, and a large variety of weapons. Super Hint #1: "First it was probably a tiny dot." Super Hint #2: Fairies are involved in gameplay. Super Hint #3: The ending calls you the messiah of earth.
    2. This game is a sequel to another game made by a different company. The original version is touted as a very hard game, and has three characters to play as (all from the previous game, but only one of which was playable in that game). The bosses are either very huge or normal-sized, including a large minecrawler, a giant purple alien, a brainiac alien with a clone of one of your characters, and others. Ultra Hint: The final boss is named from a character from Peewee's Playhouse.
    3. This SNES game is a sequel to a NES game. This game uses a streamlined version of the original NES game's isometric engine. This game is mainly puzzle-oriented, and each room, even against boss battles, resets when you get hit. The plot is mainly you rescuing the character from the previous game. It also has an advertisement screen in the game itself.
    ITT: I am being shown who is (are) the retro gaming boss(es).